Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmead11_gw

Kitchen before and after (gel staining of cabinets)

lmead11
11 years ago

I thought I'd post some before and after pictures of my kitchen since this website was my inspiration to start our home renovations! I saw celticmoon's tutorial on gel staining and decided to try it myself. I first did our small half bath cabinet and it turned out so well that I had confidence to do our kitchen as well. One project led to another project... and it's beginning to look like a completely different kitchen! We've bought new appliances, new floors, new hardware and are now picking paint colors and deciding on new countertops. It's been a very fun project!

Thanks for looking!

Comments (44)

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

Wow what a diference! You have given it a whole new lease on life. Congratulations!!

• advanced
    11 years ago

WOW what a difference. I wish I were brave enough to try that. Hmm, maybe in my Master Bath. Great Job!!

• louisianapurchase
    11 years ago

That doesn't even look like the same room! Congratulations on a fabulous job.

• mommy2nk
    11 years ago

Wow, those look really good! I will have to find that tutorial so I can do this in my bathrooms. Great job!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Great job! Completely new look. I love the floor and hardware you picked too! Looks great.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Amazing transformation! It looks great. Good job!!!

• taggie
    11 years ago

That looks amazing!! I wish I was even half so talented. Great looking kitchen, congrats!

• lmead11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your nice comments! I should add that this was a project on a very small budget!! We've done so many things and really have only spent a few thousand dollars. I SO encourage others to try gel staining. It's so easy!!!

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Fabulous!. It's so much more sophisticated. I think the current paint color looks very nice. Does it really need to be painted. Love the new floors, especially the way the have a nice contrast with the dark cabinets but then have some dark shades to coordinate with the cabinets too.
    Congratulations on a job well done.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Tremendous change! Congratulations and good job! So sharp looking and elegant. Love the floors, too!

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I agree with badgergal- it looks sophisticated. Excellent choices. You must be so happy!

• roarah
    11 years ago

Wow!

• MarinaGal
    11 years ago

That is a stunning transformation - I am really impressed!!! The combination of the dark cabinets and white countertops is so modern and fresh. Great work!

• rovo
    11 years ago

Great job! I love seeing a DIY update. What type of flooring did you select?

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

You did a fantastic job! Congrats! Love the space.

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

Fantastic job, what a difference! I hope you are reveling in your kitchen!

• autumncolor5
    11 years ago

Great transformation. I really like it. A brand new kitchen. Can't wait to see your new counters.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Beautiful !

• justmakeit
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh, such great changes -- it's a completely different room! I love the before and after photos set up that way. It really underscores the difference. Wowza!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Lmead - Fantastic - I am thinking of gel staining our guest bath and replacing the countertop. It doesn't get used that much so hate to put too many marbles in this room. Might have to pick your brain downstream.
    What are you thinking of for the countertop?

• lmead11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rovo- the flooring is a laminate. Tarkett worthington- Brazilian Koa. We did our whole main floor in it. I love it because it still matches our honey oak trim in the rest of the house but really ties in the new dark cabinets.

A2gemini- You should definitely try the gel staining! I don't know exactly what countertops yet. We're thinking granite... Something light still. The kitchen doesn't have a window so it's really dark now with cabinets and stainless appliances. I want to lighten up the walls also.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for posting this. A friend is considering gel staining his kitchen and I found celticmoon's original post, but the photos aren't there anymore. This should really inspire him.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Love the repurposing of what you had. Looks great!

• springroz
    11 years ago

That JUST looks wonderful!! I love the floor, too!!

Good work!

Nancy

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Congratulations on a gorgeous kitchen! Such a huge difference, it went from old and blah to Wow! It looks elegant and I can only imagine what a difference the new counters will make. Love your floors! Enjoy!

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Wowza! That is gorgeous. The dark stain, hardware, stainless appliances and new floor are perfect with the wall color and counters. Congratulations on a job well done!

• function_first
    11 years ago

Wow! It looks wonderful! Nice job!

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

I'm impressed, and really like your new kitchen -- very sleek!

• alvmusick
    11 years ago

Amazing transformation. Enjoy!

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

It is beautiful! You did a great job and I love the color.

• lmead11
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone!!

• madison3701
    11 years ago

what a wonderful update!

• boymom23
    11 years ago

Nice, fresh update! Enjoy your lovely kitchen!

• User
    11 years ago

You have a good eye for what will work in your space. Very nice transformation. c

• RockingChairPorch
    11 years ago

Droooooooooooooool....

• gardengal2008
    11 years ago

Where did you find celticmoon's tutorial on gel staining? I have searched repeatedly without success. Your kitchen looks beautiful! I would like to try this on a bathroom vanity and I'd like to see the tutorial before I start. Can someone post a link?

• deedles
    11 years ago

Pretty amazing and impressive!

• gmp3
    11 years ago

I love all of it...and really like the wall color with the cabinets. Great job! It was really smart to pick that flooring too, it looks great with the trim and cabinets.

This post was edited by gmp3 on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 14:03

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Here's the link I could find. Scroll down a bit to celticmoon's post. However, I found that you can skip the step with water based Espresso and go straight to Java if you want to have a darker finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gel stain

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

That's so modern and fresh. You did a really great job.
    I am excited to paint my cabinets, but I'm going to move them around first. I can't wait to have it finished, though. Your kitchen gives a lot of visual peace.

Christine
    (Who is carefully beating 2 French doors today with chains, nails, screws, and other things to antique them. I want something NICE and finished.)

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

Your new kitchen looks beautiful!

• celticmoon
    11 years ago

Celticmoon here to say: oh yeah!!! Looks great!!!!!!!

I remain very happy with my 'temporary' stopgap gel stain job back in 2006. So happy that I have no thought to renovate my kitchen any further. It would be nice to have a prep sink or to get the DW away from the corner sink, but lookswise there is nothing I would like better than my creamy colored plain counters, dark cabinets and chunky shiney pulls. Never thought going into the cosmetic fix I'd be this happy for this long.

Recently did my second touch up (garbage pull, snack cabinet and drink glass cabinet....hmmmmmm, interesting places to have wear)

Enjoy!!! Especially the 'laughing all the way to the bank' part.

• htimm2
    7 years ago

Did the gel stain work for the ends of the cabinets that have a laminate veneer on them?

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

Yes, but obviously no grain. Just looks like paint. However, it held up well. Just make sure it's fully dry before the next coat.