Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happymommy_gw

Marble Backsplash

happymommy
16 years ago

Does anyone have any pics of kitchens with marble backsplashes - particularly those that are subway style tiles? I want to visualize how that sort of backsplash would look with Absolute Black granite and white cabs. I already went through the FKB too. Thanks!!!

Comments (21)

• happymommy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Also, I am having difficulty finding any info out about cost. I am assuming, because this is marble, that it's pricy...how does it compare to flat subway tile, or other cheaper tiles? Twice the cost, etc.? Thanks so much!!!

• oofasis
    16 years ago

Hopefully Alku will see this. Her gorgeous backsplash uses a mini subway tile, in 1x2 white venatino marble. It's FABULOUS!

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Same with paige_ct

• lascatx
    16 years ago

I've seen them. It would look great.

The pricing would be more than the basic subway tiles (you can get white subway tile starting at $2 or so per square foot). It could be less than others.

• happymommy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I'll see if I can find pics of their kitchens....

• happymommy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I like the mini brick, but I was envisioning something a bit bigger - closer to the size of subway tiles. Has anyone seen anything like this? I have spent hours on the internet searching for pics, without any results to show for it. Thanks!

• lascatx
    16 years ago

I think I have seen them in what looked like a more standard size subway, but it was a photograph and not a source. It think it was a bathroom -- and maybe on HGTV?

• sonicstef
    16 years ago

I have carrera marble subway tile installed in my bathroom. It was cheaper than the truly authentic flat subway tiles but more expensive than the standard eased edge subways.

I think it would look great with white cabs and black counters as long as you don't mind that it has a blue tone to it when placed next to white.

• happymommy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ohhh....sounds fabulous, sonicstef! Any chance you have a pic to share?

• alku05
    16 years ago

oofasis is too kind...Or backsplash is white venatino 1x 2" subways. We got it on closeout for $7/sqft but I think that was an extraordinary deal.

I know you're looking for standard sized tiles. Have you looked at the Tribecca collection from Walker Zanger? They definitely offer what you're looking for, but it will probably be pricy.

There is someone here that has exactly what your looking for in their kitchen: white cabinets, soapstone and regular sized white marble subways. They have the Tribecca ones. I'll try and remember/dig out who that was and get their picture posted up for you this weekend.

It's been a busy week at work this week, so I haven't been able to spend as much time here as my TKO addiction prefers...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• happymommy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ALKU05: Wow. That's all I can say about the peek you gave me at your kitchen. The marble backsplash is absolutely gorgeous! I love the bled and it really works in your kitchen. What a steal at $7/sq. foot!!! I would really appreciate it if you could dig out that kitchen that you recall seeing before. I am actually surprised I can't find more kitchens that use marble backsplashes. I checked out the Walker Zanger link and you're right...the Tribeca collection is what I had in mind. I would like more white and less gray veining than Carrara...

• mommyx2
    16 years ago

Try calacata marble at Walker Zanger. It is more white than carrera. I'm not sure if they have the subway tiles in the calacata. I'm looking for the exact same combo for a friend. ALKU05- what countertop material did you use?

• mommyx2
    16 years ago

Also, look at some of the subtle colors for a subway backsplash. I saw a kitchen with white cabinets, and a celadon subway tile backsplash. I can't remember what was on the main counters but they also had a large mahogany stained butcher block center island. It was stunning. The best looking kitchen I have ever seen (I look at a lot of them). I wish I had a picture of it. Ann Sacks has a number subway tiles available in a huge array of colors.

• alku05
    16 years ago

Happymommy, I'm going to start digging for the photo of the kitchen with the Tribecca tiles! I hope I can find it for you.

Mommyx2, my countertops are a granite called Andromeda White. They're very similiar to Bianco Romano, but with less movement.

• alku05
    16 years ago

This wasn't the picture I was looking for, but it may still be useful:

Deee's kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

She has another shot of her kitchen in the thread where I found this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Statuary marble thread

• edlakin
    16 years ago

the tile shop (national chain) has carrara marble subway tiles (3x6) priced at $9.99/sq ft. we went and saw a display of them in person and they're beautiful, although they have a lot more tan/gold coloration then we expected, so maybe they're not truly carrara.

they also have all the various trim pieces, bullnose, etc.

we used a hand molded 'cut' subway tile in our last kitchen and paid more than $8 sq ft for it, so this marble isn't really all that much more.

link below

Here is a link that might be useful: tile shop's marble subways

• jdechris
    16 years ago

I too am looking into a kitchen with subway carrera backsplash & absolute black honed granite countertops.

I have found the tile at tilestoneoutlet.com and have ordered a sample.

I am worried about my choices because I have read a lot of negative feedback about honed black countertops. Still not sure what to do

• plants4
    15 years ago

Has anybody used the marble subway from floorzbuzz.com which is Alabama marble?

Here is a link that might be useful: American marble from Alabama

• warren_tile
    14 years ago

Yes I have used the Alabama Marble and it is not good quality. The quarry (I called them) is having a lot of issues and can only make 12x12 and it is very cloudy - they have a lot of cream in the marble - they also want $10SF for 12x12 and have no 3x6" or any matching accessories.

However I did come accross BuildersDepotDirect.com and their 3x6" Subway Tile is only $7.00SF - it sounds to good to be true but I have ordered samples first and the product is perfect Carrara, they have matching Hexagon, Basketweave, Octagon and all the Chair rail and Bullnose in the same Carrara to match.

I checked out al their rating and they are first class - no one has had a bad thing to say about them and you can also just order by the square foot - 1SF at a time. I get worried when the ecommerce guys want you to buy a full pallet - what if I need more, or I under estimate. Anyway BuildersDepotDirect - take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Builders Depot Direct

• tilemarbleguy14
    13 years ago

Warren (message above) - I have found a blog which I think shows one of your installs of Carrara 3x6" Subway Tile ($7.00SF) and Carrara Hexagon 1" Marble Mosaic Honed. The bathroom looks incredible. You can see the bathroom clicking on the link below. So to all the people out there that are skeptical about the quality of Genuine Italian Carrara Marble Subway Tiles for $7.00SF � I think the images in the blog link below answer the questions.
    I called Builders Depot Direct and asked about an order of 400SF of 3x6" and 200SF Hexagon and trims, they have it in stock, but they do not have endless stocks � I would guess they will either run out or raise their prices at some point. I am selling it on for contractual installation jobs for $14SF and $21SF; it is a great opportunity for me. The Carrara Venato collection is perfect more like statuary marble which costs twice as much as Carrara � it has a whiter base with Gray veining.

Here is a link that might be useful: Builders Depot Direct Carrara Subway & Hexagon Bathroom

• warren_tile
    13 years ago

tilemarbleguy14. Yes that is an installation with Builders Depot 3x6 Carrera and Hex. I have put the picture in for the others to see. 400SF is a big job - hope you get it - can you post pictures of the install once you have completed?

This is one of the best I have seen - it was about 200SF of 3x6" and 100SF Hexagon ($7 for the 3x6" & $11 for the Hex) - total room cost $2,500.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carrara marble used in picture above