Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akgildea

Need layout advice re: vent hood!!

akgildea
10 years ago

Desperate for some good advice from smart, creative people! I have searched here and Houzz for a similar dilemma and solutions, but have found none. I'm building, and will soon need to decide how to proceed with this vent hood challenge which I've been losing sleep over for weeks. I've posted my crude sketches here, made on the photos of the roughed-in walls in the soon-to-be kitchen of my vacation home. Here's the scenario:

Wall behind stove/refrig is an interior wall; there's a mudroom behind it, with a lower sloped roof than the ceiling in the great/kitchen room (thus, the windows). I have opted not to vent the hood to the outdoors due to lots of complicated building reasons, but also because I really hardly ever use the vent hood in my home and I can't see starting now. (Different thread discusses the use -- or not -- of vent hoods. I know; I've been a voyeur on that one too!) So yea, this vent hood is for LOOKS, and pretty much looks only.

At it's highest point, above the clerestory windows, the sloped ceiling in this room is 18ft. And as you can see from my crude sketch, the area over the range where the vent hood will be is NOT centered exactly between the two clerestory windows; it's skewed a little to the right. [In case you're really alarmed now, rest assured the clerestory windows span the length of the house and the great room, and really are balanced in relation to the rest of the space; just not so in relation to the range.]

So here's the dilemma: Do I end the top of the vent hood chimney in line with the top of the cabinets? If so, how can I do that without making it look completely false? Do I put a shelf or something (soffit?) across the top of the cabinets, topping off the vent hood chimney as well? OR -- do I run the vent hood chimney all the way to the sloped ceiling? That seems like it might be overkill, and look even more false than the cabinet/shelf idea.

I sooooo need some advice!! Please help -- ALL ideas are welcome! FYI: My style is modern mid-century, with rustic accents. The vent hood is stainless, all appliances stainless, and the cabinets are GOAK (from ReStore) -- at least to start with. I may ditch them later, but I'm doing this on the cheap to get started.

Comments (23)

• akgildea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a second sketch. You can see the non-centered space for the vent hood a little better in this one. (Ignore the way the clerestory windows seems to be 'slanted' in this image; that's thanks to my feeble use of the panorama setting on my camera phone.)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

The fridge needs to move elsewhere so the range can be centered. That's a glaring design error from you architect as is the lack of planning for ventilation. Indoor air quality is much more important in new conctruction because of it's tightness. Thus the importance of ventilation. I'd throw this back in his lap and demand that he figure out a solution.

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

why does the range need to be centered? looks to me like the counter between the sink and range will be primary prep, in which case it makes sense to shift the range off center to the left. so if the only reason to center the range is aesthetics, I'd pick function over form in this case myself.

• detroit_burb
    10 years ago

the place is small, the windows are funky/cool. don't worry about centering.

end the vent in line with the cabinets and have a shelf made for above the cabinets and the vent hood with some downlighting. cut square shapes into the shelf above the hood to echo the windows and let light down. you can do something very unique here.

• akgildea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input so far. I am inclined to agree with GauchoGordo1993 and detroit_burb -- I think this can work without moving the range to center it between the windows. There's a LOT of space between the top of the cabinets and the window line, and the windows across the full side of the house make a line in themselves (horizontal), not necessarily fighting with the vertical over the range.

GIVEN THAT -- my real dilemma then, is how/where to end the vent hood chimney? Detroit_burb has an idea, and a good one -- are there others?

Thanks in advance!!

• ControlfreakECS
    10 years ago

Why not just draw it in there at different heights and see what you think?

Honestly, I don't think that the stainless chimney style works in your space. I like the first photos posted by rtwilliams. And I say that as someone that has a stainless chimney style range hood. I get that since it won't even be a functional range hood, this is a design statement. So, draw it in and see if it works. It's the only way you'll get some sort of idea. I'm not confident in it, personally, but it's your space. I made lots of "unpopular" design choices. So I'm a "do what you like" kind of person. I wouldn't like a chimney just randomly ending in the middle of the wall. But that's just me. A shelf on top of the chimney sounds kind of odd to me. Sorry.

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

One idea might be to have a straight soffit between the two cabinets and "hide" the vent inside the soffit. It would give you a much more linear look, clean and less distracting.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

I can think of a few otions:

1) Decorate the wall with something other than stainless steel, like tile, paint, or a big sheet of glass with a graphic of your choice behind it.

2) Recirculating hood of your choice. Here's a crazy idea - given that you rarely use a hood and therefore you'd only miss it for big smoke events, might you consider venting into the mud room? That would at least give you the ability to exhaust big smoke events out the front door. Of course you'd have to scurry off to open the front door every time you turned the hood on though.

3) Build & install a sheetmetal contraption over the cooktop that looks hood-like but does nothing. This could just be a piece of sheetmetal from Home Depot bent into a loose cone shape and screwed-into the wall. Or your buddy at the machine shop could rig something up for you. Or you could recycle an old broken hood from craigslist or your nearest housewear recycling center. Either way, this is likely the least expensive option, especially if you can get .

4) #3 with lights

5) #4 with a screen or something to catch grease. This is essentially a hood without a motor and turbine.

I'd probably go with #1 myself and I think I'd start by looking for glass &/or metal wall hanging pieces.

• akgildea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all suggestions and ideas. I may be back to the drawing board now (literally), and am somewhat panicked by that given the build continues and I'm soon out of time. I'm seriously considering now venting into the mudroom, but even so I still don't have a design solution. Curiously, no one has suggested running the vent chimney clear to the ceiling, or even in line with the base of the windows to vent outside -- ? My gut tells me that's just way too much vertical steel to work visually, regardless of the air circ benefit. @firsthouse_mp, I am toying with the idea of a horiz soffit for a clean line. I'm also (reluctantly) toying with eliminating the chimney style hood altogether -- but with such wall expanse to work with, it seems somehow a lost opportunity! But what's an opportunity if it doesn't make good design sense? Sigh.

I've attached a pic I found at a design/build firm blog site, and it does have me wondering. The chimney just ends in the middle of the wall, kind-of how I first thought I would do this: how unsettling is that? And is my own scenario a little better than this, more stable because of the balance of the cabinets, -- Or, does this design work BECAUSE that window breaks the horizontal line?

Still shopping for a plan that works!

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Your architecture is very modern. It either demands a tight symmetry, or a very deliberate and careful use of assymetry. The current design doesnt give you either and is in disharmony with the bones of the home. That might be less of an issue in a more traditional home, but it gives an actual sesnse of unease to most people who occupy a room where the propotions dont quite work. The issue here is beyond venting. Its an overall design issue that needs exploration n person from an experienced design professional who is well versed in modern architecture. It's not often that I feel so strongly that form should take precedence over function, but this is one case to tread very lightly in moving away from the more rigid demands of the architecture.

• sena01
    10 years ago

I have no high ceilings, just an apartment galley kitchen.

Exterior wall is on the right, but chimney goes to the left inside a soffit. Hood is 12" wider than the cooktop and though you can't see it in the picture there's about about 3/4" b/w the hood and the cabs.

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

I would not be concerned about the hood venting to the outside. They make recirculating filters for just your application. Can you take a picture of your hood? When we remodeled our house we re-purposed the vent hood with chimney to be used in a cabinet style hood and are not venting it to the outside just added a circulation charcoal filter kit. I don't do much cooking and rarely fry anything so it works for us. We had the cabinet modified by our trim carpenter to accept the vent hood.

You may be able to use your over the refrigerator cabinets over your range and place the hood under that. Not knowing what vent hood you are working with its hard to say if it would work. You may just need to part with the vent hood you have and get a different type.

Another option could be like in our before picture they had a boxed area over the hood chimney where it went into the attic space not straight up 18 feet to the ceiling. It was not something you noticed up that high.

This post was edited by rtwilliams on Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 10:24

• akgildea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you @sena01 and @rtwilliams. I've attached a pic of the vent hood I have... remarkably it's almost JUST like the one in your 'before' picture! I did order it with the circulation charcoal filter kit...so this is all beginning to look more promising after all. The builders are into drywall this week, and won't finish but by next week I will have had to provide clear instruction on placement for this, as well as building any soffits, etc. Appreciate all the input -- keep it coming!!

• GauchoGordo1993
    10 years ago

Before the drywall goes up, check to make sure there's enough framing/blocking behind the drywall to mount it!

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

How about intentionally jogging the hood chimney over at an angle to then center between the windows as it exits up through the roof. Exposed duct with a bend could be a very interesting and fun element in your space.

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

That looks like the same exact hood my sister has in her kitchen and used the nonducted charcoal kit. Do you have the floor plan layout with dimensions?

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

another picture of my before kitchen with the drywall box to stop the hood chimney

• akgildea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The wall where the vent hood would be is roughly 11.5 ft... the wall with the sink and staggered windows is about 8.5 ft. And the ceiling at its highest point above the clerestory windows is 16ft,, sloping down to about 12 ft in the kitchen area (and then continued sloping to maybe 9 ft by the end of the DR).

I'm warming to putting another cabinet, a short one, above the vent chimney and where the base of that cabinet aligns with the top of the other cabinets. Thinking this might continue cabinet lines and also to allow a termination point for the chimney. See attached for concept. Thoughts?

• likewhatyoudo
    10 years ago

I think just a piece of stained oak like a bridge across the top of the cabinets over the stove keeping the same continuous height would look better. Add a piece of crown to attach all the cabinets.

If you are going for a modern look maybe stain the cabinets darker.

This post was edited by rtwilliams on Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 18:52

• sena01
    10 years ago

Sorry, I didn't like it either. Maybe a shorter one including the 2 flanking cabinets may look better, though I doubt it.

Will uppers start at 18 above the counter? I'd make that 20" and try to have wider doors.