Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie_eileen_gw

Beadboard Ceiling paint finish?

carrie_eileen
13 years ago

I'm beginning demo on Monday (gulp) and the plan is to do a beadboard ceiling. So many of these seem to have a luminous quality. If you have one or are familiar, what paint finish did you use? Semigloss like the trim, or an eggshell or satin? I'd love some advice.

Comments (16)

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Ditto,
    SemiGloss here. I am having one put in...I can not wait.
    Here are some ideas.
    ~bp

GJ Kitchen blog

House Beautiful Mag

An Urban Cottage Blog

• never_ending
    13 years ago

Now if you want to stay true to a vintage beadboard look you will have to be sure to use something with ~gloss~. I swear the old timers loved to gloss up anything they could get their paint brush on!!! =D

That being said, to play it safe, I'd go semi-gloss or eggshell, but satin has a velvety matte appearance and could add a nice different dimension to your new sparkly kitchen.

Oh and not to throw you a curve but you could have it lightly tinted to pick up a color in your kitchen. It wouldn't be super noticeable but would give it an added umph.

• aokat15
    13 years ago

We just had our beadboard ceiling installed and we did ours in oil-based paint (as will be all of our trim). The shine is unbelievable especially with the natural light coming in from the windows. Here are some pics - our kitchen is still very much in progress so please excuse some of the other details. Also, this was a dreary snowy day and we didn't have our lights in, but you can still see the reflection from the windows.

• carrie_eileen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow - those photos are amazing! Gorgeous! Thanks, everyone for the feedback. Boxer and Aokat15, can I ask - what color/brand of paint is your ceiling? We are doing oil-based as well.

I am planning to do BM Simply White for trim (with SW paint), and I'm guessing the beadboard, though tinting it is intriguing and I'd never considered it. Great feedback!

• aokat15
    13 years ago

We did BM Ceiling White. Our cabinets and trim are all BM China White. Good luck - we are not in our house yet but every time I walk into the kitchen I just fall in love all over again with the beadboard ceiling and am so happy I did it!

• farmgirlinky
    13 years ago

We used Benjamin Moore Aura eggshell finish on a "strapped" board board ceiling, and are very happy with it: I notice that people who are visiting in the kitchen spend a lot of time looking up! We chose a very pale blue called "Constellation", which sort of floats above the kitchen and contrasts well with cream tiles and natural fir cabinetry. I think it makes the ceiling recede/seem higher. Monorail light heads about a foot below the ceiling have upwards "spill" and makes for an interesting play of light and color from the halogen bulbs.

Thanks to Buehl and rococogurl and others I finally am figuring out how to post photos within the text of a message!

{{!gwi}}

Lynn

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Aokat - is the BM ceiling white an oil based paint? I thought ceiling paints were all latex? I'd love to copy your sheen and brightness even though ours will be sheetrocked.
    Thanks for any info you can provide and hope you don't mind if I shamelessly copy you, lol!

• aokat15
    13 years ago

Let me check with our painter. I just told him that I wanted all of our ceilings to be BM ceiling white and that I wanted the kitchen ceiling oil-based... so I was assuming that he color-matched the BM ceiling white in an oil-based paint... but let me check!! Feel free to copy - I've spent many months on this site and a few others (houzz.com, etc) looking for inspiration and have taken many wonderful ideas from other members as well! Good luck!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Carrie-eileen,

My ceiling is not up yet. : (
    My guy is coming to do this in a month.. waiting.
    I have no idea what kind of paint but I want it to be
    the GLOSSY, SUPER SHINY look with a slight tint to the
    paint that (Never-Ending) recommended.
    My guess is a water based BenMoore paint. Easy clean up.
    ~bp

• lolaz
    13 years ago

Aokat, what type of beadboard is that? Planks or panels? I don't see seams, how did you do it?

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I ended up not going with a gloss for the ceiling. Mostly, out of budget concerns (lack of, that is). We are so far along that every penny counts since it has all been ka-ching ka-ching since day 1 and I figure I can always use a gloss when it is time to repaint. Plain bright white ceiling paint in 5 gallon buckets is much cheaper (BM, of course).
    The only ceiling with any sort of sheen is our bedroom ceiling done in BM Aura Eggshell in a medium purple. The walls will be a very light gray so we wanted a cozy look. Our ceiling in the master has a vault, so we were not worried about closing it in. I'd even consider going semi gloss next time because the eggshell looks so nice.
    It is funny, but I never imagined sheen being such a big deal until lately when a few have used it on the home decorating forum (esp for their foyer ceilings, in darker colors) and after seeing aokat's here, which I fell for hard.

I am working on the trim around windows,doors and the moldings and using Cabinet Coat in a semi gloss and I just love how it shines. I sand between coats, so it is so smooth. The Cabinet Coat levels nicely after application and is so sleek. I am loving working with it and how it looks. HTH

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

I second what lolaz asked: how do you make the finish come out so nicely without seams? I LOVE beadboard ceilings - they are so beautiful.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

They finished putting up mine yesterday in the kitchen and today in the pantry. I'm also going with a light blue paint, but a satin finish, but now you guys have me second guessing - do I want shiny instead? :)
    The walls will be cream, nearly yellow. I have dozens of paint chips laying around!

The contractor put the 4" boards on the ceiling, but went with the panels (real wood)on the walls to help minimize shrinking if any. They glued and nailed. We shall see.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Oh, the other reason my contractor gave for using the indiv.boards on the ceiling was that he thought the seams of the panels would show more on the ceiling. At least that's what he said.

• aokat15
    13 years ago

Sorry I missed this - our beadboard ceiling is all planks. They are Azek composite material - they come in 18 foot long planks and are 6" wide which is two 3" strips. I am very happy we went this route - my contractor said that the planks were much better for seams and the Azek material will hold up much better and not buckle, etc which also helps with it looking seamless.