Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Good software for cabinet layout

I used to have the original 3D HomeArchitect program which was great for laying out a kitchen and even let you manipulate cabinet sizes, etc. Then you could look at the wall view and change it around. They have changed it so much with each revision that it is unusable now.
Does anyone know of a good one for a mac or ipad? I want to layout a beverage center in my dining room and want to see what the cabinets will look like.
Thanks,
Annette

Comments (11)

• akgildea
    10 years ago

I have used Floorplanner.com with great results. I even gave my architect my drawings from that program to begin work -- he was mighty impressed. It's a cloud-based product, so no versioning to keep track of; and yes, I use it on my Mac. It's produced somewhere in the UK, so as I recall it defaults to metric but as long as you know that, you can easily reset it to inches/feet when using it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floorplanner

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link! I will take a look now :D.

• Sms
    10 years ago

Sketchup
    It has a learning curve but its very powerful and flexible. It's free and there are plug ins for kitchens if you want them. Many online tutorials to get you going.

I've found it to be invaluable for working with my architect, KD and contractor-- really helps to communicate ideas clearly. Attached is a sample of one of my drawings rendered with a free plug in. We are using semi custom cabinets so I was able to use actual room and cabinet dimentions to get pretty close to what we eventually ordered. Having said that there is a lot of detail involved and I really relied on the pros once we exchanged ideas and made final decisions. It's fun too (eventually)!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sketchup

• dcward89
    10 years ago

Ikea has a pretty good one on their website. It doesn't allow custom size cabinets but it's very easy to use and will give you a visual of the space that was so helpful to me. The NKBA kitchen planner is also free and very similar to the Ikea one.

• laughablemoments
    10 years ago

A few folks on here use Chief Architect, which is available as a download from Amazon.

I hear you about 3D Home Architect. It was a good program. I have the 4.0 and wish I could get it to work on my newer laptop! Not quite as easy to use as their earlier versions, but it still got the job done. I've read horrible reviews on the later ones, which is too bad.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

laughable, too funny you just posted that. I was just on the Chief Architect site. IT IS EXACTLY what I need. Just like the old 3D Home Architect but better! Of course it is a Windows product but for this I may be finally convinced to download bootcamp and go for it. It is an awesome product and even allows you to change the cabinet faces, sized, colors and even in 3d version. I MUST HAVE IT!

• mmangwana
    10 years ago

@zeitgast, may you please let me know which free Sketchup rendering plugin you are using. I am also using Sketchup and I like its flexibility in creating any shape. I have used Chief Architect, Personal Architect, Punch and version 4 of 3D Home Architect. My overall assessment is that sketch up is the best.

• lenzai
    10 years ago

Before you go and pay for the PC version of ChiefArchitect, they do have a free app for iDevices (RoomPlanner). You have to pay i think $1.99 to be able to resize the cabinets easily and it's a very limited database, but good for basic layout.
    I have the Windows version on my laptop and it's great, but the little app is nice for a quick plan.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I gave up on Sketchup in about 5 minutes. I want to draw in 2d, I really hate 3d. Guess it's the way my brain works. I couldn't get Sketchup to do anything but random lines and couldn't get rid of the little pencil to figure it out.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lenzai, will look at Room Planner when I get home to my iPad. I have been looking everywhere for the iPad design program they use on Love It or List It on HGTV. Maybe that's the one!

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

Nothing beats using 20/20 with the plug in from the actual cabinet company that you will be using so you don't end up designing something that can't actually be done in real life. ;) Plus, it's free when you use the free services of the KD that you will need to order your cabinets from anyway.