Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ootm_mom

KAW-my spaghetti sauce

OOTM_Mom
9 years ago

I've made this sauce for many years. It is a bear to blacken the sausage, but that is KEY to the sauce.
2 lbs hot italian sausage
2 lbs sweet italian sausage
1 huge sweet onion, small dice
3 bellpeppers, one yellow, orange, red, small dice
Mushrooms, very small dice if your kids dont like them, lol
A bunch of garlic
Canned whole tomatoes (blend them up with a stick blender)
Canned crushed tomatoes
Cayenne pepper, salt, basil, oregano, garlic powder, brown sugar
I think thats it, it changes a little each time.

Comments (13)

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hot pan, and I place a pizza pan with another pan on top to get a really good sear. But watch out, this can steam the sausage, you have to lift the pizza pan and let steam escape periodically.

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Still didnt get them black enough, but I am still figuring out my new cast iron pan. I do the 2 lbs of hot first, then the 2 lbs sweet. i drain the hot sausage grease, but leave the sweet grease to saute the veggies.

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Onions, bell pepper cut up, mushrooms and garlic not shown. That cutting board is 18"x12".

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Onions in first, in sweet italian sausage fat. My sausage wasnt that fatty so I didnt have to drain any, but you dont want it to be greasy.

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Add in peppers.

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Add in mushrooms. Some basil, oregano, garlic powder, and just a bit of cayenne pepper. Oh, and salt.

And yes, I really wish I could figure out how to add more than one picture at a time!!!

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heat olive oil in a lrage stock pot, and a can of tomato paste and carmelize. i cook it for quite a while. Then I add more chopped onions and garlic.

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, this is last picture, I forgot to get finished product!

Chop up all 4 lbs of sausage.

Add crushed tomatoes, and blended whole tomatoes to stock pot with the carmelized tomato paste. (I just add crushed and blended tomatoes until there is enough.) Add all the sauted vegetables. Add all the sausage. Add some brown sugar and salt as needed. Cook a while. Add some more basil and oregano towards the end.

This takes me a good 4 hours, but it makes a lot and freezes well. One of DH's favorites that I make.

• zep516
    9 years ago

What time do we eat ? Pass the Garlic bread please.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Love it! Great recipe! ...Except for the non stick pan ;)
    Chris

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Mmmm Your sauce sounds good. I made Lasagna Soup for the first time tonight (Teresa's recipe from the Soup Time thread with only a few minor seasoning additions--got four thumbs up from the family). To brown the sausage for that recipe, I handed them to my husband and he grilled them on the barbeque. He cooks them as dark as requested, and cooking the sausage couldn't be easier. For me. ;)

YGCMV (I live in SoCal--your weather/grilling conditions may vary.lol)

• OOTM_Mom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Zep516 Ha! Dinner was at about 6, and there was garlic bread - even some with cheese! My shortcut banana bread for dessert even.

Ctycdm, I have been ditching my nonstick...but alas I still use them for cooking eggs. Cant think of anything else, except for some weight in this recipe!

Falcon, I love soups. Make a ton of them, I'll have to check that one out. We grill in all weather...rain, cold, a few times even in snow. I slice the sausages in half to get more surface area for burning. I'm afraid they wouldnt hold together on my grill!

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

ooohhh I love sausage! You're excused for using non stick as a weight :)

This post was edited by ctycdm on Mon, Jan 5, 15 at 0:19