Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarina_gw

Horus Cristalli tile

Sarina
10 years ago

I was pretty much all decided on Sonoma tile . Then I went to tile store Friday to look some more at the Sonoma. It was a different store then I had went to before . The girl there showed me the Horus Art Cristalli . I like a 5x5 I could use for the frame over the stove. I will post a picture of that. I was thinking I could still maybe use some Sonoma glass trantrum glass to go around it. Has anyone used the Horus and do you like it. It will be glossy and the stellar crackle is matte.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 x 5 tile

Comments (56)

• romy718
    10 years ago

I remember you posting the basketweave & rhomboid too & that was quite awhile ago. Are you still considering that one?

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes I am considering big time the basketweave but the rhomboid out of the running. The basketweave I do really like a lot so now I have to make this choice . It is so hard!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Why don't you start post a new "which backspash tile?" and post a pic of all three choices?

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I think I have now decided for sure on this .. subway 3 x6 krazy krackle.. Basketweave under vent a hood and over 30 inch range in the mosuprema in the krazy krackle with the chicklet stone in tantrum River . Then around that for accent liner in the Blink in the River tantrum. Then a frame around it that is not to thick as the area is over a 30 inch opening so frame it out in Stellar Santos or Fini . The lady said not to go to thick on the frame. What do you all think?

• romy718
    10 years ago

Is this the basketweave?

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No I forget the name of that one. The basketweave I want is the mosuprema let me see if I can get a link .

Here is a link that might be useful: mosuprema but it would be in the steller and the chicklet would be tantrum river .

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bump

• romy718
    10 years ago

This one in Krazy Krackle which is a light neutral color? I'm sorry I never responded. I went on the Sonoma website to look at your different pieces but got confused. Can you post pics of each piece? I think you'd get more feedback.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes that one in Krazy Krackle if it does not end up being to much when they total it and measure. Then the tantrum liner in the color river in blink I will post that, Then not sure what molding liner but not something super thick as it is going over a 30 inch stove and I do not want it to over power it. Then the subway tile all over in 3 x 6 Krazy Krackle. Oh and what they call chicklets in the basketweave in River also tantrum.

Here is a link that might be useful: blink liner as it is not to thick

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow the cost of the basketweave installed in the mosuprema krazy krackle is 84.50 a sheet installed price I assume that is as I got 51.51 per sheet as the price from another piece . I need 5 to 6 of them . So the quote I got for them as follows Furnish and install 3x6 Krazy Krackle installed in staggered pattern on entire backsplash, includes 6â edge bullnose to finish exposed edges. Furnish and install âÂÂpicture frameâ to be approx 22â tall by 26â wide. Frame to be fabricated from 1 ýâ x8â Harrison chairrail in Krazy Krackle, corners to be mitered. Inside of picture frame to have installation of liner 5/8âÂÂx12â glass color River. Interior of picture frame created with frame to be basketweave colors Krazy crackle for basket with glass River dot. Grout color to be determined.

Total $3,690.27 That seems like a lot to me the second quote is ..
    Backsplash

Furnish and install 3x6 Krazy Krackle installed in staggered pattern on entire backsplash, includes 6â edge bullnose to finish exposed edges. Furnish and install âÂÂpicture frameâ to be approx 22â tall by 26â wide. Frame to be fabricated from 3/4x6 Way cool twist in Krazy Krackle . Interior of picture frame created Maranda pattern color Krazy. Grout color to be determined.

Total $2,998.63
    That is still a lot too . So I have to decide what to do I am thinking I am not going to like that Maranda tile for the whole framed in section I like the single tile but my daughter said all together in a frame pieces reminds her of a chain linked fence . She likes better the one next to it to the right Mirabella I think is name. Again I am not sure I like idea of that in the whole frame side by side. So I could do the four by fours turned on side in a diamond pattern and then use the Mirabella or Maranda in the center. Hubby said I could do that basketweave but man I just hate it is that much money:( I might check out what it cost to do the mosuprema in the smaller 1 x1 's in the frame like in brick or something in the River color maybe it is not quite as much. Then there is also the horus art tile in a crackle in biscuit and I like the 5 x 5 tile I will post below for center frame.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 x 5 tile

• romy718
    10 years ago

Sarina, can you post some pictures of your kitchen including the area that have the backsplash?
    Hubby sounds like a sweet guy!

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hubby is very sweet:) I will do that come Monday when I have some time to sit down and look through some pics:)

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I remember posting on your previous threads, especially the one where you had decided on Giallo Ornamental Light granite. How are you liking it?

I have a few general thoughts about features, which you can (and probably will--lol!) disregard, being the tile lover that you are! I wouldn't do a feature over your 30" stove, or at least not one as elaborate as you have planned. Too often they're used because the person is enamored with all the beautiful tiles and not because they make sense in that particular application.

I like features when the stove is 36" or larger and topped with a fancy hood. That is a natural focal point, and it can look too plain to extend the field tile under that large of an opening. Another natural focal point is a stove set apart on a short wall of its own with decorative cabinets flanking it. Sometimes a feature works there even with a 30" stove. But on all the photos I've seen of a 30" stove surrounded by wall cabinets, the tile feature looks crammed in and draws unnecessary attention to an ordinary stove and hood. The more ornate the feature, the less it fits the small stove.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 9:47

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey sorry it took so long . Here is the picture of the stove area . Vent a hood should go up soon . I sure hope so anyway had it for two months. Hard to find anyone here that can do it :(
    Mayflower I like the granite . I do not like it as well as my Blue Pearl in last house but it goes well with the floors and cabinets. Okay so the basketweave sonoma is to much at least what this company I was going to have do it charges for it . I think the basketweave would be to much anyway. Hey Romy you around? Mayflower you do not think I should do any framing over my stove?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I wouldn't because I think it could look crowded, but you might be bored of your tile without it. I think that chair rail picture frame could be too ornate. I would do a flat pencil liner for the frame.

Did anyone draw out the framed section for you? When I went to the tile showroom, she drew out the design on grid paper.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No they thought it would look good and they were not going to use the really wide chair rail but the narrower one . It could not take the one in their display board . My gut feeling is the to do a subway with the way cool liner which I love in the frame I could do 4 x 4s turned on angle and then the marenda tile or mirabella in the middle . The horus art time is very pretty too with the 5 x5 bohemia deco .

• romy718
    10 years ago

Sarina-your cabinets are gorgeous. What species of wood? I personally don't think you need the basketweave. I agree that it could look crowded. Is there any color variation in the Krazy Crackle? I know Sonoma makes some beautiful tiles in both matte & crackle (with or without color variation) that would have enough interest on their own. I love Bookworm's creamy crackle.
    Edit:typo

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, Feb 11, 14 at 16:32

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Sarina, when you mention the tile choices by name, like the Mareda, Mirabella, Way Cool Twist, River Dot, Harrison chair rail, etc. you will probably get more responses if you post the photos in the thread. Sonoma's website is quite extensive and I don't have the patience to search all through it to find every one of your tiles. Basically I know Stellar and Tantrum.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marenda is above I will post a link to Mirabella I do not think the look of the liner matters as I will go smaller now that I am for sure not doing a basketweave. I do not know how to do more then one photo at a time. I can post a link in here to copy and paste .

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirabella

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Way cool twist , Sonoma

Here is a link that might be useful: way cool twist

• dgormish
    10 years ago

I wanted to do something really decorative above the stove - loved the look in so many places I saw it. But it is a 30" stove and after thinking about it and putting some samples in the area I decided it would be too crowded. I am a tile lover so I am still deciding what to do but I have nixed the decorative feature over the stove.

Seeing your photo reinforces that. With the new hood, you will get more room for tile, correct? Still, I would go with a small decorative element.

One of the things I am toying with doing is 2 rows of a thin liner with something decorative in between them such as a 2X8 pretty border. Sonoma has some beautiful 2X8 borders.

Or a decorative tile along the bottom. You could do the Mirabella with the way cool twist above it then your regular tiles above it.

Or a smattering of 2X2 tiles among your regular tiles.

If those don't make sense, I could create an image for you.

Thanks for the comment on the tile staining. I just had to take my latest samples and try that!

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

I have the Sonoma tile that I think are in the family you showed earlier. It was $2500 for tile and install, maybe more in the end. I still love it and it has been up for a long time. I had all of these tiles picked out, the pillow looking ones, the rhomboids but in the end I liked it best with just a few of the decorative ones and doing the rest with the field tile. I love all of the great pieces in the collection. I wasn't very happy with the installation but that's just par for around hereâ¦sadly!! I still love the tile. The colors are really off in these photos, so much prettier in person.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dgormish... I would gain some space once mircowave is down and hood is up. Could you work me out an image I am terrible with things like this in my mind. Thank you :)

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Romy .. Thank you ... My cabinets are maple . No there is not much variation in the Sonoma tile . There is a bit more then in the Horus tile though. Maybe I should just do all subways with Way cool twist as the liner for the end areas of cabinet runs. Or maybe do subways with a line of decorative ones run in a line high enough to be seen with stuff setting on counter running in a line all around the kitchen. Then not doing a frame at all . Tile store lady keeps saying there is enough room to do a frame . Not a really big one but a frame not sure what size she is thinking . What do you think about a small one? I am so confused :( .... Gr8day your tile is beautiful . I love it.

This post was edited by sarina on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 0:04

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found the horus art tile in a frame with just a thin liner. Would this one be to much over stove. This is what the kitchen tile place said would be okay. This is not the color though in this picture . This is oatmeal or something like that. The one I like best with granite and floor etc is Biscuit .

Here is a link that might be useful: horus art tile in frame with 5 x 5 and liner

This post was edited by sarina on Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 0:31

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I would just incorporate the 5 x 5 into the field tile like gr8day did in her first pic. Very tastefully done and appropriate for your style of kitchen and available space.

Here is a link that might be useful: gr8day's kitchen

• dgormish
    10 years ago

for my sketch...

what is the height between the top of stove (flush with cabinets, right?) to the bottom of range hood? The range hood is 30", right? Also, what is the total space for the proposed framed area over the stove? (from photo - 18 X18"?)

• romy718
    10 years ago

You mentioned a possible thin border. Here's a link to some photoshopped images with (I believe Horus Cristalli subway tiles). Keep in mind these are photoshopped images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photoshopped backsplash borders

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The range hood is 30 wide . The height from counter top to the bottom of range hood is 28 inches ..27 from the stovetop itself.
    Cabinets are standard and are 19 inches from counter to bottom of cabinet. Total space above stove is 30 wide by 28 tall . I do not know the size they are thinking of doing . I posted that one picture of 18 x 18 as sample of that look . I do not know how small one could go with a frame and not look silly or what is standard. Mayflowers I had something like that it my last kitchen going around but did have space for a frame. Can I do the inset all around if I use subways?. I notice that the one in gr8day's kitchen is square tile turned on diagonal . Romy the liner around the kitchen is nice . How does one do that when the reach the stove just go straight across?

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Would you consider doing the diagonal tiles instead of subways? It would add interest but not fussyness. You do have quite a long row of solid cabinets on the range wall, so maybe diagonal tiles would give some relief to the lines marching 2 by 4. That's from an old song--"The ants go marching 2 by 4, hoorah, hoorah."

Didn't someone mention A2gemini's kitchen in this thread? Have you seen how she used a mix of mosaics, straight-run, and diagonal tiles?

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would consider it . I know that song:) No do you have a link to her kitchen?

• dgormish
    10 years ago

Here is an idea of what the Mirabella with the twist would appear. Of coarse, I didn't include tile behind it or exact measurements of range hood, etc. because I don't have those.

Mirabella is 6X6 so I made it that way. It is a little crowded but better than I imagined. You have a little more room than some people in that space due to the low stove and the range hood seems a bit higher than usual. It might look less crowded with a small tile design - something in 4 X 4 or 5 X 5 but I do think this is doable - and the Sonoma tiles are beautiful!

Next I will post some sketches of the things I mentioned.

• dgormish
    10 years ago

I hope this makes sense. There really are a lot of options including size of tiles, placement, liners, tile behind it, etc.

The one I show with the Pratt and Larson is really a smaller tile (not 6X6 but 2" high) which also gives you an idea how a smaller title in a row would appear.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Dgormish ... Yes it makes sense thank you . I have posted you two answers now and have come back and they are not posted . Do not know why. I think I do have enough to do a frame once the vent a hood goes up be able to see it better .I am kinda of liking Mayflowers on diagonal thought . Darn confused as ever lol. Thank you for making those mock ups ! Good this one posted I just checked .

This post was edited by sarina on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 11:31

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Here's A2gemini's kitchen. Maybe you could do as she did with the field tile and accent row and put a row of three of the decorative ones under the hood.

Here is a link that might be useful: A2's kitchen

This post was edited by may_flowers on Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 11:47

• Gracie
    10 years ago

This one is a little different and it incorporates several of your ideas. Hard to see the details, but it looks like they used a mosaic as the frame. They used subways near the counter and around the outside of the frame. I don't find it too fussy because it's all about texture and not adding colors too. Maybe the center diamond could be the raised tiles, but I like it as is.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Newark General Contractors Marty Galvanek

• romy718
    10 years ago

I like this one that may_flowers posted too.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do like that one too .That is what I was thinking about a row of three as accent . I will have to think on this stuff .

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can not do anything on diagonal will cost so much more . I only had 2200 for it budgeted then i raised it to 2500. Hubby then said I could go to 3000 but I hate to do that as so much has gone over what we are doing with pool and stuff.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Have you gotten an estimate for diagonal tiles in this size? It is less actual number of tiles than subway tiles, less grouting.
    Here's another picture of Horus Cristalli in Bianco in subway tiles done by another GWer. Substitute your chosen insert & frame.

This post was edited by romy718 on Sat, Feb 15, 14 at 2:05

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is only diagonal in the frame . What is way more money is doing diagonal everywhere with inserts and then not doing a frame :(

• romy718
    10 years ago

Maybe combine the ideas from the 2 pictures. I like the design & simplicity of the framed insert that may_flowers posted 2/13/14 at 12:01, the plain square tiles on the diagonal with a fairly simple border & frame. Surround that with subway tiles. I think that would be pretty but not too ornate or overwhelming.

This post was edited by romy718 on Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 20:29

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It would be a great idea . I do not think if I do the wavy twist with the Mirabella which I like better now then the Maranda I do not think of that is ornate do you?

• romy718
    10 years ago

Sarina, I'm going to post a couple of pictures of a GWer's kitchen (lisa226) that might help you, hopefully. She put 2 different backsplashes in. One with a framed area above the range & one with crackle subway tiles.
    Her range is either 30" or 36". Here is her kitchen without backsplash.

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 18:01

• romy718
    10 years ago

Here's lisa226's with a framed in area behind the range. I wish this picture was taken from further away like the other two.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Here's lisa226's with Horus crackle tiles in Bianco, not grouted yet.
    I know you're struggling to make your backsplash decision.
    Do you like this simple look or the framed area above the range? You could also do as something in between, as may_flowers suggested.

• Sarina
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Darn I answered you and the message did not post again . I really think I like the subway the best with the frame over the stove but not a huge one . More like the one pictured above.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

The nine stacked ornate tiles are what I find too busy. I'm also imagining Q-tipping the sauce out of them!

Did you notice Sonoma Versailles? It is a diamond design on a square tile, which will give you the shape without the expense of laying tile on the diagonal. Then you could do a more ornate frame.

Here is a link that might be useful: Versailles

• ReBe231
    10 years ago

I am fairly new to this site and just have to ask, what does "bump" mean??

• romy718
    10 years ago

"Bump" moves the post back up to the top in hopes others will respond.
    Thanks for bumping it as I missed may_flowers post of the Sonoma Versailles, which I love. Classic.
    Sarina- what do you think of the Versailles?