Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisadelrio

Finlandia Green Soapstone - or whatever it is - photos

lisadelrio
15 years ago

Thanks to all who post for all your good info and advice!

I've been lurking here for months while we've been building our new house. I wanted Julia soapstone for the kitchen. I couldn't find it in St Louis, but saw Finlandia Green at the fabricator's and fell in love.

We abused our sample by pouring all sorts of things on it before we committed to it. Nothing seems to affect it. It's also hard. It does look a little better oiled. There is hardly anything on the internet about it, so I thought I would post a couple of photos.

Comments (11)

• marthavila
    15 years ago

The stone is gorgeous. And so is the kitchen!!! Show us more!

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!

• oruboris
    15 years ago

Love your backsplash, too: could we see more, please?

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Yup... we need more pictures and details please!

• momorichel
    15 years ago

OMG gorgeous. You're making me love soapstone all over again. Tell us more about it - does it get watermarks? Oil stains? I'm with remodelfla - more details please! beautiful kitchen!

• lisadelrio
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks y'all. I'll take some more photos later today. Right now I'm just linking to photos I've already taken. I have been accused by friends and relatives of having too many kitchen photos (mostly unfinished) and not enough of everything else. But the kitchen is where I spent all my energy - and money.:-)

The soapstone doesn't seem to get watermarks, or wine marks, or even tea marks. It does get oil marks, but they come off with regular dish soap and water. I have oiled the peninsula, just to see how I like it, so there are no oil marks there.

I like the soapstone both oiled and unoiled. I cook a lot, so the countertops are getting a lot of use. We've had them, with plumbing, since January 2.

Here's photo taken while they were installing the countertops:

The backsplash is PacAtlantic Mica Sparkle slate. I got it at Expo and sealed the heck out of it. Here's a closer shot, taken while they were installing the hood:

That's a Kenmore Induction cooktop. We're loving it so far.

• bethv
    15 years ago

WOW!! WOW!! Love the look. Congratulations!

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Could you give some details on your hood? Brand? Performance? It's the style I'm thinking of for my new kitchen.

• lisadelrio
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Beth.

Remodelfla, the hood is a Windster H-L Wall Mount Series 36"W .

We are really pleased with it. I've used it when frying bacon and sauteing onions and garlic. It does a great job of sucking. ;-)

It's quiet enough that I don't hesitate to use it. My last hood was so loud, that I only used it when I was deep frying or boiling shrimp.

• lyno
    15 years ago

Besides the soapstone, cooktop, and hood - all of which are gorgeous, what are your cabinets and backsplash? That is if you wouldn't mind sharing! They are gorgeous, too.

• lisadelrio
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks lyno!

The backsplash is Pacatlantic Mica Sparkle, from Expo. It's drystacked slate. I sealed it with Aqua Mix Sealer's choice gold - until it wouldn't seal anymore. My tile guy did a great job. Drystacking is completely unforgiving, as far as I can tell. (We have a drystacked ledgestone wall in the living room that had to be redone because the first masons weren't good drystackers.)

The cabinets are custom maple. We went with a local cabinet maker, Toni Hilliard, who has one helper. He did my BIL's cabinets, so we were familiar with his work. I took him a picture from a kitchen book and he duplicated the style perfectly. The drawback of a one man shop is that it takes a lot longer to get your cabinets.

The doors and drawers all have blumotion soft close. The drawers are full extension. (why didn't they invent that a 100 years ago?)

I was insistent on deep drawers. There is not one shallow drawer in the kitchen. This was a reaction to our last house that had 80% shallow drawers. Argh.

Somewhere on the blum website, there's a photo of pot drawers with a divider for lid storage. Toni added that for me at no extra cost. The divider can be moved to 4 different positions. I'm so glad I saw that because it's working out really well. I'll post a photo later.