Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendreaming_gw

Kraftmaid painted cabinets

kitchendreaming
13 years ago

Hi

Does anybody have kraftmaid in painted white or biscotti? How is the

quality of the paint in terms of cleanability and durability?

Thanks

Comments (42)

• cbonebt
    13 years ago

I am looking to get the biscotti with cocoa glaze from lowes... any comments?

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am also thinking about the biscotti but from Home Depot... HD has an offer were you get the painting for free if you buy before Jan 30... What kind of offers is Lowes giving?

Also, how much extra is it for glaze? What color are you thinking for the kitchen walls????????

I went into HD today and they said you can clean them with water and detergent (mild) and use a spray like you use on wood (like Blend, but another brand).

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kompy,
    thank you, this is such a relief to know!

• hermajesty
    13 years ago

I have Kraftmaid painted cabinets and I'm a happy camper!

Mine are canvas with cocoa glaze. My kitchen was finished in November so I can't really speak to longevity at this point. But they are easy breezy to keep clean. As others have commented before you can SEE if something spills on your white cabinets so they're easy to keep wiped off.

I know Kraftmaid are not high-end, but they suit our wants and needs perfectly. Very well made, sturdy, and beautiful. No complaints here.

• cbonebt
    13 years ago

IT is beautiful... now I have to run and look at that color!!! We initially liked biscotti with cocoa glaze... they seam very similar

• joan2121
    13 years ago

I just got Kraftmaid cabs installed. Mine are Canvas, which is off white- love the color! You do see the seems on the miter corners, but I was told that is typical with painted cabinets. It doesn't bother me. Only had them a month, but seem to clean easily. I think the quality is great- we got all wood box. I love the way the drawers slide with full extension and the the silent close of the doors and drawers.
    Joan

• hermajesty
    13 years ago

Yes they are similar. The biscotti has more of a yellow tint to it I think. I built my kitchen around the Bianco Antico granite which has creamy white in it, so the biscotti didn't work for me. But they were very beautiful.

When our cabinet order was placed Kraftmaid gave us a guestimate of about 5 weeks. About a week later they gave us the exact delivery date, and they didn't disappoint. They arrived on time, right sizes, nothing broken during delivery, so that made us very very happy.

I love the soft close drawers. The only thing I might change is I would also price out the soft close doors. My KD never mentioned them and I didn't know to ask at the time. Unfortuneatly I didn't find this website until after we started our remodel. But overall I'm very very happy with our cabinets.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi kitchendreaming..

That is a fantastic deal about the free painting..I bet that will save you at least 15%. Wow! I came very close to ordering Kraftmaid in Canvas. And as others mentioned, the delivery was right on and there wasn't any damage. I have soft close on everything and I love that feature, because I have been known to slam a door or two:)

Just want to say to hermajesty ( I love that name) that her kitchen is so beautiful. Someday, when I'm ready for a change, like in 10 or 15 years, I'm gonna paint my dark peppercorn Kraftmaid cabinets that canvas color....It will be like having a completely new kitchen!

And I would love to see pictures of joan's kitchen too..

KA:)

• cbonebt
    13 years ago

It really takes 5 weeks? I am definitly going to consider the canvas color now... Any ideas on granite color?

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

My neighbor got Kraftmaid stained cabs 2 (maybe 3?) years ago and has been very happy with them. Note, neighbor is really picky so if there were any problems at all, he would have told me.

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all!

Hermajesty (she who must be obeyed?) thank you so much for posting your pictures! Congratulations on your kitchen, it looks fabulous! Good point about soft closing doors. There are so many decisions and things to remember that I am paralyzed!

I second kitchenaddict, Joanne, could you post your pictures too?

Today I got my three little samples from Kraftmaid: dove white, canvas and biscotti. Canvas seems to be in between the other two to me.

Do you think canvas will look good with a caramel/golden granite such as New Venetian gold or Madura gold? Do you see gray in the canvas? Is canvas a warm color? Sorry but I am not good at colors!

Thank you again so much! I feel I am in despair and then I read the answers and I have hope again. My problem is I like them all, from the newest glossy stark white to creamy white to yellow, so in the end it is as if I did not really like any.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

hi kitchendreaming..

I'm bumping you in hopes that hermajesty or joan sees this and can respond to your Canvas color question. I wish I could help, but it's been awhile since I looked at Canvas. I know it was my favorite though.

Have you looked at your door samples next to your granite choices?

• weidiii
    13 years ago

I've had the canvas for over a year now. clean up is a breeze. Mine looks warm when the sun hits the kitchen so I chose a "warm" grey paint instead of a cool grey and fiddled with lightbulbs to make it work at night

• rob from nj
    13 years ago

We got the Antique Biscotti with Taupe Glaze. The Biscotti is more on the buttery side, especially with a glaze.

We're still about two weeks away from moving back into our kitchen so I can't answer about cleanabilty or durability but they are well made.

We were told that they'd take 4-6 weeks but they wanted to deliver about 2 weeks after our order. We weren't ready and had to delay them.

• hermajesty
    13 years ago

Yes, my canvas with cocoa glaze is a warm color and counters with golds and or browns would be beautiful with it!

KA - thanks so much for your compliments on my kitchen, made me smile!!!

And regarding the "HerMajesty." Oh I dunno, just kinda makes me grin. Like in...OMG it's the Queen....and...WOW look at her tiara....and then there's also our goofy black labs registered name which is "Her Majesty Maggie Moonbeam." That's my story and I'm sticking to it. No need to curtsey!! :)

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all! I am in between canvas or biscotti... they are similar yet different depending on the light...
    I have looked at granites in the store next to the doors and I like them...
    I have only ordered the small samples, I guess I will have to go ahead and order the doors, even though they are $50 each...
    Thanks again!

• juniork
    13 years ago

Hermajesty, Beautiful kitchen! Just wanted to let you know that it's ridiculously easy to retrofit your cab doors with soft close. Our spec home has Kraftmaid in the kitchen, and I just bought 50 of the soft close thingys, and put them on the entire house, with a small drill, in about 2 hours. Unfortunately, the slides are much harder to retrofit, but the doors are easy, and were only about $3.20 per door. It's even cheaper if you don't go with the brand name hardware.

• hermajesty
    13 years ago

Oooooooooh Juniork that is marvelous news! I'm gonna check that out. Thanks so much for sharing that tidbit with me.

I appreciate your kind words about my kitchen. It's not real big, but I'm loving it. It's such a JOY to cook in now, which is really what it should be about dontcha think??! Now I'm moving on to bathroom remodels, fun fun.

• cbonebt
    13 years ago

Love your kitchen... How is the micro over the stove? I think I am getting that but people online think hood is a must.. For space I want that.

• joan2121
    13 years ago

I feel a little funny posting pictures because my room isn't done yet. As you can see I am deciding on wall color, the cab in the corner needs the glass doors, and the other needs to be hung up, the toe kick is not up nor is the crown molding. Hopefully I'll post finished pictures in a few weeks. But, I love it, so here are a few. I know when I was planning I wanted to see everyone's pictures- especially if they were doing anything similar to what I was looking at. So,maybe this can help someone choose a color. I have oak floors, Canvas color on Garrison Kraftmaid, Giallo ornamental granite. I love the combination. I think it looks better in real life than the pictures. Don't know why the two sides of the kitchen came out such different colors. I think the true color is somewhere in between!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

hi joan...

What you have going so far looks really nice..it's going to be spectacular when finished..

• joan2121
    13 years ago

Thanks KA, need lots of advice/help still. I have to figure out what to do around the window. Right now it looks so plain. May be when all it done it will look fine. Also, backsplash around coffee bar area. I am thinking of off white krackled subway ( which I will have over stove). What do you think? I also saw someone who put a mirror there, but her area was shorter..hmmm....

• cbonebt
    13 years ago

Love it! thanks for posting! I think the giollo looks perfect!

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Joan,

thanks so much for posting. Cannot imagine what else you need done, because it looks fabulous. I like open shelves so did not miss the glass door on the side. I also like "furniture style", so did not miss the kicktoe, but of course we need them because we would not want to have to clean underneath the cabinets... I love the style and the color. It helps so much to see these pictures!

Sorry, I tried to post earlier but could not login since yesterday, problems with the garden web.

• joan2121
    13 years ago

Kitchendreaming, now you have me thinking...maybe I should leave the doors off that cabinet. There is another hutch you can't see which is larger, next to my mixer. It is sitting on the counter now with out the 2 drawers that go under it. It will have 2 glass doors.
    Do I need the door on the one by the stove for a balance the look? I know, from reading GW, that open shelves are "in". We'll see...
    I can't wait to post completed pictures.

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Joan, I do not see that you need the doors on both cabinets for a balanced look because, if I am not mistaken, they are not symmetric anyway (the face different directions, right?). BUT I AM NOT EXPERT, JUST A NOVICE. I hope others with more experience will answer your question. Either way your kitchen is gorgeous. Do you remember the name of the cabinet door style?
    thanks!

• AHomeWest
    13 years ago

We have kraftmaid biscotti cabinets (installed a little over a year ago.)

In my opinion, they hold up great...it's only us two adults in the house--though my husband is super messy and constantly spills coffee on them lol. But they easily wipe clean with a wet cloth and hold up just fine. We're very happy with them...

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Kitchen -- Kraftmaid Biscotti

• colorado_mom
    13 years ago

Joan2121 - Is that a Counter Depth Fridge? I am just getting back in the game and starting to plan. Thanks!

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

AHomeWest,
    Thank you for posting your pictures, I am loving the biscotti, it is so yummy! Your kitchen looks great.

• joan2121
    13 years ago

Kitchendreaming- the cabinets door style is Garrison It is new-fall 2010, I think. the color is Canvas. No glaze. I'll be glad to send more pics in different light if you want to get a better feeling for the color. I think it is warm without being yellow. I have a friend with biscotti color cabinets and it is beautiful, also. Just a shade deeper/darker? than Canvas. I can post one of her pictures if you want. Just let me know. We painted around the window in BM Bennington gray. It goes well with the cabs and the granite.
    Colorado, It is KA counter depth. someone else asked if the doors open all the way, and yes, somehow the ref slides that far back and the doors still open all the way with out hitting the wood cabinets. The KD I worked with may have ordered a special cabinet to get that look. I can check if you need more info. It looks built-in, right? But cost $$$ less! We shopped around and got it at Appliance Builder Warehouse (you can find them online) for $2199! Good deal.
    Here are some more pics. Please remember we are still a work in progress!

• kitchendreaming
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Joan,thank you very much. If you can post a picture of your friends' biscotti, it will help. Thanks so much. Your kitchen is beautiful. Do you think biscotti or canvas will work with white appliances?

• joan2121
    13 years ago

Ooops.My friend said her cabs are not bisotti. she is going to look up the color for me. But here is her picture. She thinks it is antique white. they are 4 years old. {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

I did a search in finished kitchens, under categories: appliances: white. Here is a picture i found.
    http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/Karen4Roses/New%20Kitchen/
    It may give you an idea of white with cream cabs. I think canvas will be too close to white to go with white appliances. But, like you I AM NO EXPERT! lol!!
    HTH
    Joan

• colorado_mom
    13 years ago

Thanks Joan - LOVE all the pictures. Hubby is insisting on CD fridge - our kitchen is tiny. How do you like the french door? Just love your kitchen and AHomeWest, and HerMajesty too. This is just the look I want :)

• nylah
    12 years ago

Trying to do some research on kraftmaid cabinets. I am thinking about getting the canvas color with cocoa glaze...I love the look of your kitchen, Hermajesty, can you tell me what style cabinets you used?? Thanks!

• User
    8 years ago

I know this is an old post - my fiancé and I are currently working with a KD to renovate our kitchen with Kraftmaid cabinets. I really HATE white cabinets, so she suggested biscotti first with a cocoa glaze - then in the showroom I thought I saw it, and she promises that the one I saw in the showroom is actually canvas with cocoa glaze. But now looking at everyone's photos, and searching online, canvas seems SO white! She gave me a tiny piece to bring home and I immediately said no it's too white. However in the showroom, it looks so great. Can't tell if it's because the lighting there is so low. We have major natural light in the our kitchen - almost the entire one wall is open with windows and a slider - and are installing a bunch of bright LED high hats too. Will it look too white? More photos would be wonderful if anyone has canvas OR biscotti...I'm really having second thoughts on canvas and leaning toward biscotti again...

• rob from nj
    8 years ago

Ours are the Antique Biscotti with Taupe Glaze. Still love them after 5 years. My wife has said she wishes she'd chosen something without the yellow tones. Have you seen Kraftmaid Mushroom? That might suit you as well.

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks robfromnj - That's my worry, everyone describing it as too yellow. I did see mushroom in the showroom as well and kept looking at it while we were designing, it was right next to us. The KD said when you have an entire kitchen of it, it can look a lot darker and kind of cold - so I strayed from it. Would love to see it in a bigger display with more light though, because it was really nice. I'm just having trouble landing on the beige I want, everything really seems on one end or the other of the spectrum! Going to try my local Lowes and see if they have any Kraftmaids in these colors on display and perhaps see how it looks there,

• Lily Spider
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Have you considered a combination of white and mushroom? Mushroom cabinets on the bottom and white cabinets on the top? May be a nice compromise between the 2 colors? Search for 2 tone kitchens on Houzz. There are a ton. I really like them.

• User
    8 years ago

That never crossed my mind! I will look - thanks!

• kodi22
    8 years ago

Hermajesty,. Love your kitchen! Could you tell me the paint color on the walls? Love it! Isn't the canvas with cocoa glaze an off white?

• sa sare
    6 years ago

I know this is a really old post...but there is a color called "linen" by Kraft Maid...anyone use that?

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA