Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hyjenist1

Your opinion on backsplash color ratio

hyjenist
9 years ago

We have lived with our new kitchen for about 6 months and ready to get out of ABB!
We have fallen in love with Fireclay's think brick backsplash with a mixture of cotton and snow in color. Snow is close in color to upper cabinets. Cotton has a grey undertone w a tiny bit of red show through to compliment Soapstone counters and natural cherry lowers.
Thinking light grey laticrete grout.
Looking for opinions.....more snow? More cotton? 50:50? Or all one color??

Comments (19)

• hyjenist
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up of brick backsplash

• straikar
    9 years ago

My first inclination is to suggest more cotton--say 75%-- to transition from the white upper cabs. Right now the cabs and backsplash seem to be identical in color which I assume you don't want. The cotton might give it more depth as it recedes while the snow still nods to the white cabs.

BTW, nice understated remodel with good lighting.

• straikar
    9 years ago

It would be great it if you could get a dozen or more samples to stack and see!

• romy718
    9 years ago

I did find this picture of mixed tiles. I'd be inclined to order some (10 or so) of each tile & play around with them.

• hyjenist
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Just ordered 1 square foot of each.

• straikar
    9 years ago

Great example image--looks like there is a matte to gloss contrast too. From the first time I saw your kitchen I noticed and appreciated the silver/chrome/stainless touches--nice reflection. A bit like a nice pair of silver hoop earrings with a classic outfit.

The image you found also plays that silver up to a T.

Karen

• romy718
    9 years ago

BTW, I love your soapstone & soapstone sink. Beautiful veining,

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Very pretty!

Jane

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Have to follow this thread for the same reason the OP posted.

• hyjenist
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2139068}}
    Ordered 1 square foot of Fireclay Snow and Cotton thin glazed brick to play with. Trying to decide on which pattern works best?? Opinions welcomed!

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Because your counters are dark, I like the contrast with the grouping on the left with more lighter pieces. It's going to look great either way!

• Fori
    9 years ago

I like left better too. You wrote "pattern"; are you going to install it in a pattern or more randomly scattered about with that color ratio?

• rantontoo
    9 years ago

I'm not sure I like the ratio of the mix...but it is hard for me to imagine a whole backsplash...maybe 60/40 or 65/35.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen. Fireclay fan (and owner) here- I'll be watching closely to see what you choose. It looks like you've mixed a single of the lighter color with the darker, and vice versa in your pictures. I'm wondering if the natural color variation would do the trick. Can you take pictures of just one and then the other tile colors?

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I like cotton as the majority color.

• hyjenist
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. We like the fireclay inspiration photo, however our kitchen gets very little natural light. I'm inclined to do opposite of the photo and go with majority snow and sporadically put in cotton. We like the idea of two color variations to tie together the two toned cabinets and soapstone.

Much like most of the people we've had to work with, Fireclay has been excellent!

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

I love the Fireclay inspiration pic too! I would do the lighter with random darker pieces. Maybe 80/20? I think that would give enough visual interest without screaming at you especially with your.beautiful soapstone.

• decordummy_gw
    9 years ago

Very nice kitchen (love the counter). Another vote for lighter tiles with random dark tiles.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Here's a simple pattern for 2/3 Cotton, 1/3 Snow:

I can't find an image on the Web, but it's quite simple to lay out:

The first row is 2 Cotton, 1 Snow, repeated.

In the next row, the 1 Snow is above the middle of the 2 Cottons in the previous row, and that row continues the 2 Cotton, 1 Snow, 2 Cotton, 1 Snow pattern.

The third row is the same as the first row, the fourth row repeats the second row, etc.

If you want a little less Snow, make it 3/4 Cotton, 1/4 Snow. The layout would be different; you'd need to play with it.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022