Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
10kdiamond

After Market Cabinet Organizers?

10KDiamond
13 years ago

What is a good source for cabinet organizers (spice racks, cutlery & silverware holders, etc.)? My fabulous Cabinet Guru knows I am on a tight budget (involuntary kitchen remodel due to house fire) and did not try to sell me all of the assorted drawer accessories. Instead, he said that they were much cheaper from other sources. Any ideas? TIA -

Comments (16)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

IKEA for one. Try ebay also.

• kathec
    13 years ago

I second IKEA, although they tend to fit IKEA cabinet sizes. Also, Rev-A-Shelf. In fact, you might notice that a lot of cabinet companies use Rev-a-Shelf products in their cabinet lines.

Rev-a-Shelf can be found online, ebay, etc. Check for sales at the online kitchen organizing stores like kitchensource.com, cabinetparts.com, etc. Sometimes they'll run sales or have free shipping.

Decide on what you need now and what you can add later. It might be spice organizers, cutlery/utensil dividers, pull out garbage at first and maybe add the "nice to have" items later.

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

For drawers custom make your own dividers to fit using drawer Dividers and 1/4" plywood. Any lumber store can cut it into 3" wide strips and you can use a small handsaw to cut them to length.

These are mine and total cost for the entire drawer was under $20

The best thing about doing it yourself is that it is very custom and there is no wasted space at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley Drawer dividers

• carybk
    13 years ago

Can the Lee Valley custom dividers lift out for cleaning? I prefer the look of them to the polystyrene ones that you trim to fit, but if they are fixed in there, I would think cleaning would be a pain.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

I used bamboo boxes from various sources (Target, Lowes, etc) because I didn't want to lose the lovely effect of my new all-wood drawers :) I lined all the drawers with thin cork for the same reason.

The non-adjustable type are deeper, so I used those where possible, filling in with adjustable (sliding compartment) ones to make it all fit well. I bought about 12 different sizes, figured out the puzzle (without opening the packaging) and returned the ones I didn't need.

*** I know I should not have my knives in there! We keep meaning to put up the knife rack, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Poor abused knives ;)

Caveat about using Ikea cabinet innards: Measure carefully!!! The inside dimensions of Ikea cabs tend to be slightly different than American made (they're metric). I thought I would save a ton of money by not getting pull-out shelves/roll-trays in one base cabinet, and adding Ikea ones later. I had had the Ikea ones, in Ikea cabs, in my last house and loved them. However, they required shimming out with washers and stuff to fit a cabinet that was supposed to be the same size (21") because the wall thicknesses were different. They have NEVER worked properly and at some point I need to replace them with the much-more-expensive Rev A Shelf ones. :(

• macybaby
    13 years ago

My Lee Valley dividers showed up yesterday, and DH is stopping at the lumber yard today to pick me up some 1/4" aspen. Can't wait to make the dividers and toss out those inserts/trays that never seem to fit quite right.

I'm also making some to sort my plastic - I can then store the lids vertically and not have a big pile to sort through every morning when I'm packing my lunch.

I am also using Rev-a-shelf type components - several pull out trays where I didn't want drawers, and dividers for my baking sheet/vertical storage above the ovens.

• bob_cville
    13 years ago

waterdamage,

For my Lee Valley custom dividers (shown below) I attached the dividers directly into the wood of the drawer side, others here have made a box-within-a-box configuration that would allow the entire unit to be removed. Although with my setup you still can easily remove all of the divider boards one-by-one for cleaning the drawer. You just have to be sure which board came from where, so that you can put it back together.

Macybaby,

If the 1/4" aspen is anything like the aspen that my local Lowes carries, it is a very soft, very weak, almost crumbly wood, and I don't think the Lee Valley inserts would hold in it well. I used 1/4" poplar wood from my local Lowes and got good results. Aspen is wood from one of several species of poplar trees. Poplar is wood from the Tulip Poplar, which is not a poplar. :-) Clear?

{{!gwi}}

• rjr220
    13 years ago

If you're around a TJ Maxx homestore, they have great bamboo/plastic dividers. I also just went to Wal-Mart and Target for metal coated shelving for the cabinets. Each store had different sizes that fit my different needs.

• macybaby
    13 years ago

Bob- I'm not sure what my husband intended to purchase - I expect it will be the same wood he purchased for the drawer sides, only thinner. That stuff is really nice to work with, what ever name it is called. I thought it was Aspen, but I could easily be wrong as they are all in the same general area - DH picks them out, I put them on the cart.

DH called and said he bought nothing as what they had in stock didn't meet his standards - this is a guy that will sort through a whole stack of 2x4's checking each one individually. Takes time when you need a few hundered of them.

We'll be in the "big city" this weekend (if you can call Sioux Falls big LOL) and they have a Menards, Lowes and HD so hopefully we'll find something that Dh will think is acceptable.

• domesticah
    13 years ago

I bought bamboo drawer organizers from Bed Bath and Beyond, and they have worked out nicely (esp. in light of the coupons) -- although I love bob_cville's drawer dividers...very nice.

• pudgybaby
    13 years ago

I found the A&H Turf website to have great prices, although I never ordered from them. The website is a PITA to navigate, though. They have rev-a-shelf and other organizer brands.

Here is a link that might be useful: A&H Turf

• lawjedi
    13 years ago

I have to say that the obsessive organizer hidden inside of me is drooling over your organizers!!! especially the custom made ones! (although I'd have to add labels to the sections - then my kids might actually put the stuff away in the right spot!)

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

LOL Lawjedi, I did add labels to the drawers after I took the picture. It's better but not perfect. I joke that no one can read in this house.

Waterbaby, I made a box-in-a-box and the whole lifts out for easy cleaning.

• momtofour
    13 years ago

Ok, I've read this thread a few times and finally have to chime in because I LOVE organizers!! LOL. I 6-coat (each side) poly'd 1/4" thick 24" long aspen boards from Lowes. Then I ordered 10 sets of cabinet brackets from Lee Valley. Then, for whatever reason, I proceeded to Gorilla Glue the pieces together instead of using the brackets. I, too, am obsessive about organizing where I can and am thrilled to have my 'junk' drawers done!! I still have to do my cutlery drawer. I make people look at them when they come into the house, lol. I asked my husband, 'Do you love them?? Isn't it great??" He said, "Uh, they're nice. But I'm glad they make you happy." CLEARLY, he doesn't care about organizing like I do. LOLOL.

I haven't taken pictures yet, but my one drawer is all small squares, 20 of them in a drawer in an 18" framed unit. All my little things are now neatly nestled!

I think I need to add my brackets to the 'not for sale' thread!

• carybk
    13 years ago

Just found a great website that was new to me, with lots of retro-fitting storage options (not Ikea cheap but a few will be doable for us, I think). I haven't bought yet but they offer, for example, sturdy deep drawer dividers similar to the Lee Valley dividers but for deep drawers.

(Momtofour, I wanted to e-mail you with a question about Lee Valley organizers but see you are not set up to permit it-- if you would feel comfortable with it, please e-mail me through my GW page with a way to get in touch.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodworker's Hardware

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Hi Momtofour -- Did you ever find your way to the oops thread? If not and you're still looking for it -- ;) -- please feel free to email me offlist. I tried to reach you but I don't think your email is enabled....