Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Art in kitchen/wall decor

Posted by dianamc75 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 22:33

Is anybody willing to share pictures of art/decor in kitchen that they love?? Wanting to be inspired!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Art in kitchen/wall decor

Do you collect anything, dishes, ceramics, copper, iron? Almost anything can be hung on a wall~where there's a wil there's a way! No pictures, but my hutch is filled with white ware, many turreens and vintage covered bowls, with a few platters hanging on the side wall. Above the ivory glazed cabs is copper pots/utencils I've collected thru the years, but above the stovetop is a large rectangular SS plated tray, with a sugar bowl /creamer, a SS pitcher holding SS cake servers, large spoons, etc, and a SS teapot made into a lamp, setting in the corner on the counter close by.

My collection isn't just a collection since I use many pieces during the year. The tureen/covered bowls are great for buffets as they keep things warm. The silver trays/utencils to serve drinks, dessert, or just cookies. Theses are things I'll always keep as they're not only pretty, but they're functional.

o

Just about the only thing I'm a bit sad about in planning my kitchen remodel is that I know that I will lose wall space for my art. Ultimately, it's absolutely a good thing - I will gain storage space by having more upper cabinets, probably an OTR microwave instead of it being on the counter...

Over the sink:  photo P1040799_zps2585f368.jpg

Over the range:  photo P1040800_zpsb4756486.jpg

By the kitchen door:  photo P1040802_zpsaf085040.jpg

And my favorite... tiny refrigerator magnet art (actually painted!)  photo P1040803_zps0db87733.jpg

o

We used large framed prints by our favorite artist, plus a smaller consignment store find.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Art

o

I don't have anything hung yet, but in all our houses my mother had a framed mirror hung over the range. It sounds weird, but it opened up the space, made her feel more part of conversation while cooking, and looked beautiful. I did this in our last house and loved it. It doesn't make sense in my current kitchen though.

o

I have the little apple painting which was a baby gift from my DM's business partner. I also have a box that I painted.

I did have a print on metal above the range, but since the BS went up, I haven't figured out how to hang it. It is heavy.

Nancy

o

Going to be hanging on the new beam between kitchen and dining, a hotel sign my uncle, er, happened across back in his bar band days:

o

These are so fun, thanks for sharing!

Carrieb -I especially love the collection over the sink!

Springroz - I can't see the detail, but I love food themed art in a kitchen.

Robotropolis - How fun that you have a story to go with that! Sort of! And I love how you plan to hang it!

I have a large painting that I am considering for my very clean lined white and walnut kitchen. I am worried that it is too bold. I tend to be one that LOVES colour, but is afraid to use it in my own home because I fear I may get it wrong!

I would love your opinions!

o

Here it is. We borrowed it and my friend held it up just to get a feel for it. I do love it, and the tomatoes speak to my Italian heritage! But is it too bold??

o

kianamc75 - Can you do a photoshop/graphic mockup image to get a sense how it would look? I'm not technologically capable, but I've seen people do amazing things with graphic programs. Otherwise, would it be a big deal to hang it, and, if necessary, live with it for a week or two to see if you like it? Nail holes are generally really easy to spackle/sand/repaint.

o

I have no room for art in my kitchen as with an open space floor plan, you lose a lot of wall space. However, I did put a still life behind my cooktop in tile and a coordinating wreath above...

o

Diana - that is fantastic! Not too bold at all. It's the perfect touch and love that it speaks to your heritage. Cannot wait to see your finished kitchen.

MaggieQ - way to sneak that photo in there. Holy cow! Your kitchen is gorgeous! Love your artwork - really works well in your space.

ETA: can you tell me who the artist is? Really love those prints.

I have nothing to show. No available walls in the kitchen for artwork. But it's open to other rooms so there will be art on those walls.

This post was edited by ck_squared on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 10:16

o

Carrieb - I have been looking at the picture above long enough to get a sense of it. *I* like it, but I always doubt myself. We only held it up briefly because the house is so dusty and crazy right now. We returned it and I am still debating.

o

Oh, I didn't see your photo when I last posted. I LOVE it! It will absolutely be a centerpiece - no matter what else you do.

I would completely love that in a kitchen. You may need to be careful that other nearby colors/furniture don't clash with the painting, but a simple wood dining table under that painting would be lovely. I think it would be a shame to NOT have that in your kitchen.

o

I love the painting and if you love it, I definitely think you should go for it! 1000%!

o

Annie - That still life looks stunning with your cabinetry! So warm and inviting!

CK-Squared- Thank you! I want to decide soon because I want the kitchen to feel the most "complete" when we move in. We have been living out of boxes for 18 months and the new house will not get to all the décor detail for a while yet. But I want the kitchen to feel like the heart and homey for the kids, especially!

I bought the calligaris painted glass table in taupe - so it does match the bowl. The table won't arrive for 10 weeks yet.

o

This is the kitchen table. The floors are taupe and the island counter will have some taupe (mostly white) in it. I hope it all works!

http://www.voyagerinteriors.com.au/?/Furniture/Dining-Tables/Omnia-Glass/

o

I really struggled with this. Most of my inspiration pictures had sparsely decorated walls. For now, this is what we have - 2 clearance mirror tiles from Target; clock also from Target (would you believe I looked high and low and as soon as I bought this one, came across a ton I would have liked better but oh well); a salvaged window frame from the curb I repainted with a wreath I made from preserved eucalyptus; another salvaged window with chicken wire, vintage photos/postcards and art by my toddler; IKEA frames with prints from art.com. I spent <$100 for everything.

Right now I'm satisfied with it. None of it cost too much so if I want to change it later I can. I like to buy things that can work in multiple rooms and all of these things would go in at least 1 other room in our house.

o

Threegraces - I think it looks very nice! And I have a very similar clock - that I also bought from Target! I love your grey walls by the way? What colour?

I bought 3 massive pieces from Ikea for the kids' bedrooms - a map & a NYC streetscape for my boys and the Eiffel Tower for my daughter. They are such good prices and I won't feel bad changing them out as the kids get older and may want something different.

o

Diana - Thank you. The color is Dover Gray by Ace

Here is a link that might be useful: Dover Gray

o

Diana -- that painting is stunning! I love the play of light and dark in it, and the eye-popping red. It will be gorgeous in your kitchen.

I do a lot of painting and photography, so I had ledges put up in my kitchen. That way I can "curate" the art I have there -- put up something new, switch things around, without peppering the wall with nail holes. So far it's been working really well in the space:

Breakfast nook

o

I like the tomato painting too, that will cheer you up every time you see it.

Compared to everyone's amazing kitchens, I always have to laugh when I post my humble one. Anyway, here is a picture I hung in my kitchen recently. I've had it forever, found it out in the garage a little worse for wear and pink isn't really my color but the theme of the picture is so charming. Besides that, I still agonize over pounding a nail or picture holder into my beadboard even after two years! I like the walls naked but also wanted some artwork, can't have it both ways. (darn honkin' big microwave - still pondering that)

I can also change out the picture(s) pretty easily depending upon the mood or even the season.

photo 100_5145.jpg

photo 100_5146.jpg

o

no pictures, but a friend had vintage vegetable seed packet pictures enlarged as images for her kitchen--they look great.

o

My cabinet installer is needle-pointing a wall hanging for me of a loaf of bread with "Jesus is the eternal bread of life" cross-stitched under it.

o

Schoolhouse, I love the pic in your kitchen. I would love to see more of your kitchen. The bead board is so charming and the small glimpse makes me want to see more. Very pretty!

o

LOL May Flowers

o

I knew I wanted something over my table, found this wall hanging at a flea market, it's made from old tin ceiling tiles from buildings that were rejuvenated.

o

may flowers! that's the best... :)

o

I have since relocated the Chagall, but kept my daughters self portrait in the kitchen
range wall view photo Range.jpg

o

Detest the tomato picture in YOUR kitchen. Perhaps it would look better in mine. :-) Just send me a message for directions on where to ship it.

Don't ever question hanging that artwork in your kitchen. It is perfect!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here