Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianamc75_gw

Art in kitchen/wall decor

dianamc75
10 years ago

Is anybody willing to share pictures of art/decor in kitchen that they love?? Wanting to be inspired!

Comments (38)

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Do you collect anything, dishes, ceramics, copper, iron? Almost anything can be hung on a wall~where there's a wil there's a way! No pictures, but my hutch is filled with white ware, many turreens and vintage covered bowls, with a few platters hanging on the side wall. Above the ivory glazed cabs is copper pots/utencils I've collected thru the years, but above the stovetop is a large rectangular SS plated tray, with a sugar bowl /creamer, a SS pitcher holding SS cake servers, large spoons, etc, and a SS teapot made into a lamp, setting in the corner on the counter close by.

My collection isn't just a collection since I use many pieces during the year. The tureen/covered bowls are great for buffets as they keep things warm. The silver trays/utencils to serve drinks, dessert, or just cookies. Theses are things I'll always keep as they're not only pretty, but they're functional.

• Carrie B
    10 years ago

Just about the only thing I'm a bit sad about in planning my kitchen remodel is that I know that I will lose wall space for my art. Ultimately, it's absolutely a good thing - I will gain storage space by having more upper cabinets, probably an OTR microwave instead of it being on the counter...

Over the sink:

Over the range:

By the kitchen door:

And my favorite... tiny refrigerator magnet art (actually painted!)

• maggieq
    10 years ago

We used large framed prints by our favorite artist, plus a smaller consignment store find.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Art

• threeapples
    10 years ago

I don't have anything hung yet, but in all our houses my mother had a framed mirror hung over the range. It sounds weird, but it opened up the space, made her feel more part of conversation while cooking, and looked beautiful. I did this in our last house and loved it. It doesn't make sense in my current kitchen though.

• springroz
    10 years ago

I have the little apple painting which was a baby gift from my DM's business partner. I also have a box that I painted.

I did have a print on metal above the range, but since the BS went up, I haven't figured out how to hang it. It is heavy.

Nancy

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

Going to be hanging on the new beam between kitchen and dining, a hotel sign my uncle, er, happened across back in his bar band days:

• dianamc75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are so fun, thanks for sharing!

Carrieb -I especially love the collection over the sink!

Springroz - I can't see the detail, but I love food themed art in a kitchen.

Robotropolis - How fun that you have a story to go with that! Sort of! And I love how you plan to hang it!

I have a large painting that I am considering for my very clean lined white and walnut kitchen. I am worried that it is too bold. I tend to be one that LOVES colour, but is afraid to use it in my own home because I fear I may get it wrong!

I would love your opinions!

• dianamc75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here it is. We borrowed it and my friend held it up just to get a feel for it. I do love it, and the tomatoes speak to my Italian heritage! But is it too bold??

• Carrie B
    10 years ago

kianamc75 - Can you do a photoshop/graphic mockup image to get a sense how it would look? I'm not technologically capable, but I've seen people do amazing things with graphic programs. Otherwise, would it be a big deal to hang it, and, if necessary, live with it for a week or two to see if you like it? Nail holes are generally really easy to spackle/sand/repaint.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I have no room for art in my kitchen as with an open space floor plan, you lose a lot of wall space. However, I did put a still life behind my cooktop in tile and a coordinating wreath above...

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

Diana - that is fantastic! Not too bold at all. It's the perfect touch and love that it speaks to your heritage. Cannot wait to see your finished kitchen.

MaggieQ - way to sneak that photo in there. Holy cow! Your kitchen is gorgeous! Love your artwork - really works well in your space.

ETA: can you tell me who the artist is? Really love those prints.

I have nothing to show. No available walls in the kitchen for artwork. But it's open to other rooms so there will be art on those walls.

This post was edited by ck_squared on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 10:16

• dianamc75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carrieb - I have been looking at the picture above long enough to get a sense of it. *I* like it, but I always doubt myself. We only held it up briefly because the house is so dusty and crazy right now. We returned it and I am still debating.

• Carrie B
    10 years ago

Oh, I didn't see your photo when I last posted. I LOVE it! It will absolutely be a centerpiece - no matter what else you do.

I would completely love that in a kitchen. You may need to be careful that other nearby colors/furniture don't clash with the painting, but a simple wood dining table under that painting would be lovely. I think it would be a shame to NOT have that in your kitchen.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I love the painting and if you love it, I definitely think you should go for it! 1000%!

• dianamc75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the kitchen table. The floors are taupe and the island counter will have some taupe (mostly white) in it. I hope it all works!

http://www.voyagerinteriors.com.au/?/Furniture/Dining-Tables/Omnia-Glass/

• threegraces
    10 years ago

I really struggled with this. Most of my inspiration pictures had sparsely decorated walls. For now, this is what we have - 2 clearance mirror tiles from Target; clock also from Target (would you believe I looked high and low and as soon as I bought this one, came across a ton I would have liked better but oh well); a salvaged window frame from the curb I repainted with a wreath I made from preserved eucalyptus; another salvaged window with chicken wire, vintage photos/postcards and art by my toddler; IKEA frames with prints from art.com. I spent Right now I'm satisfied with it. None of it cost too much so if I want to change it later I can. I like to buy things that can work in multiple rooms and all of these things would go in at least 1 other room in our house.

• dianamc75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Threegraces - I think it looks very nice! And I have a very similar clock - that I also bought from Target! I love your grey walls by the way? What colour?

I bought 3 massive pieces from Ikea for the kids' bedrooms - a map & a NYC streetscape for my boys and the Eiffel Tower for my daughter. They are such good prices and I won't feel bad changing them out as the kids get older and may want something different.

• threegraces
    10 years ago

Diana - Thank you. The color is Dover Gray by Ace

Here is a link that might be useful: Dover Gray

• justmakeit
    10 years ago

Diana -- that painting is stunning! I love the play of light and dark in it, and the eye-popping red. It will be gorgeous in your kitchen.

I do a lot of painting and photography, so I had ledges put up in my kitchen. That way I can "curate" the art I have there -- put up something new, switch things around, without peppering the wall with nail holes. So far it's been working really well in the space:

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I like the tomato painting too, that will cheer you up every time you see it.

Compared to everyone's amazing kitchens, I always have to laugh when I post my humble one. Anyway, here is a picture I hung in my kitchen recently. I've had it forever, found it out in the garage a little worse for wear and pink isn't really my color but the theme of the picture is so charming. Besides that, I still agonize over pounding a nail or picture holder into my beadboard even after two years! I like the walls naked but also wanted some artwork, can't have it both ways. (darn honkin' big microwave - still pondering that)

I can also change out the picture(s) pretty easily depending upon the mood or even the season.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

no pictures, but a friend had vintage vegetable seed packet pictures enlarged as images for her kitchen--they look great.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

My cabinet installer is needle-pointing a wall hanging for me of a loaf of bread with "Jesus is the eternal bread of life" cross-stitched under it.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Schoolhouse, I love the pic in your kitchen. I would love to see more of your kitchen. The bead board is so charming and the small glimpse makes me want to see more. Very pretty!

• threegraces
    10 years ago

LOL May Flowers

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

I knew I wanted something over my table, found this wall hanging at a flea market, it's made from old tin ceiling tiles from buildings that were rejuvenated.

• smiling
    10 years ago

may flowers! that's the best... :)

• Gigi_4321
    10 years ago

I have since relocated the Chagall, but kept my daughters self portrait in the kitchen

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

Detest the tomato picture in YOUR kitchen. Perhaps it would look better in mine. :-) Just send me a message for directions on where to ship it.

Don't ever question hanging that artwork in your kitchen. It is perfect!

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I love the tomato print! It's fantastic and will look great in your kitchen.

I don't have photos because we're in the middle of doing some work in our kitchen and took them down but I have prints by some of my favorite artists: Van Gogh, Chagall, Kandinsky, Klee and Klimt. (Not sure why I like so many with K-names, lol.)

• amck2
    9 years ago

My favorite New England artist is Sabra Field. I have 2 of her prints in the DR and recently got the two below to hang in the kitchen during the winter months.

The print over the wainscotting is a local artist's rendition of our town. Artistic license was taken to include notable buildings and mills that are no longer standing. I love the New Englandy-ness of it with the backdrop of the mountains, all the white steeples and the bandstand on the Commons.

Pre remodel, that wall was painted builder white and had a clunky wall phone on it, along with an ugly switch for the boiler and another big set of light switches. This is so much nicer...one of my favorite changes in the new kitchen is the addition of art on the walls.

{{gwi:2139040}}

{{gwi:2139041}}

• meddam
    9 years ago

Looks like this is being revived, so here is mine. Three painting from local artists in southern chester county, PA. Hopefully this stupid iPad won't rotate it!

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

I think that it's PERFECT! I love art in the kitchen. It's one room in the home that everyone spends the most time in, so why not put pretty pictures on the walls? My kitchen is still in need of window treatments, but it has several of our beloved paintings in it.

Mine:

{{gwi:2139042}}

{{gwi:2139043}}

And "Charlie". He's been in three houses with us. We love him:

{{gwi:2139044}}

• Jillius
    9 years ago

I am looking for art too! And along the lines of what you're considering, so I am all for your plan. I think it would look great!

I don't have a window over my sink, but I don't like having cabinets in my face in the major work zones, and I wanted something prettier to look at there than cabinets. I also like and want color without committing future buyers to liking my color choices. So I have planned on a statement art piece as my kitchen's focal point from the beginning.

I have have always loved this kitchen:

{{gwi:2139045}}

This was my mood board for my kitchen:

{{gwi:2139046}}

This is the space I'm trying to fill:

{{gwi:2139047}}

The painting from my mood board is unfortunately too short and wide. I need something bold and colorful like that, but also tall and thin.

This isn't as colorful as I had in mind, but it makes me laugh so much that I am half considering it anyway:

{{gwi:2139048}}

• ci_lantro
    9 years ago

I have this one in my kitchen. With a simple black metal frame rather than gold. It always makes me smile.

{{gwi:2139049}}

Tres Amigos/ Daniel Kessler

Here is another one of Kessler's that I love but haven't figured out a place for yet:

{{gwi:2139050}}

Watermelon Bird

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

I can't figure out how to post multiple pics. Tried shutterfly, photobucket and dropbox. Anyway, here's one pic. She's my favorite. She was a cutout used for print mags in the 1950s.

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

Well, maybe I'm smarter than I think I am. I figured it out.

{{gwi:2139051}}

{{gwi:2139052}}

In this kitchen (pre-refresh), art still present, mods not finished.

{{gwi:2139053}}