Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelledt

Toe Kick Drawers

MichelleDT
12 years ago

Do you have them? Would u do them again? What do u use them for?

Thx.

M

Comments (11)

• willtv
    12 years ago

I don't have them but wish I did.
    They seem the ideal place for anything flat or shallow.
    Baking pans, roasting pans, step stool, etc.

• purplepansies
    12 years ago

Here is a thread about toe kick drawers. When I do my kitchen, I'm definitely doing them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Toe Kick Drawers

• jscout
    12 years ago

I have three of them, one under each 36" drawer bank. I would definitely do them again. In one of them I put the racks for my Advantium and a carving board. In another I have my large griddle pan and extra broiling pans. The third is under bank where I keep dishes flatware. It's empty because we still haven't decided what to put it in. I was going to put a step stool under there, but the one I bought was too big.

• cabinetsbyalan
    12 years ago

It's nice to have them operate with touch latches. Press in with your foot and drawer opens enough to get your hand or foot on edge so you can fully open drawer. Endless possibilities as what can be stored there. Go for it!

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback....sounds like great use of dead space.

• jscout
    12 years ago

My drawers operate exactly like how cabinetsbyalan describes. When I was discussing it with my cabinet maker, I kept wondering about what kind of handles to put on. But then he told me that he would treat them like inset drawers and use push-in glides like he does for some file cabinets. I think the glides he used in mine were by KV. I really like how it functions. Push in and it pops out. To close, just push in until you hear a click. One thing I did do, though, is put clear contact paper over the face. I didn't want to scuff the finish and create uneven wear.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

I'm a proponent of anything that optimizes and uses dead space. So I thought I would love toe kick drawers. Then I did the math and observed usage.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I am making them in several cabinets.
    I found roll-out shelves at the Community Forklift for $2.00 each. They're Kraftmaid. They even came with the glides.

All I plan to do is flip over some of the cabinets I haven't attached, knock out the existing toe kick and put the drawers in.

I'm also going to use the push buttons.

jscout, would you mind more details on the glides your person used? I've been looking at latches, but since I spent so little on the drawers themselves, a nice glide to make them work more effortlessly would be fine.

Thanks!
    Christine

• MichelleDT
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Christine,

Would u like to make my cabinets? U are the handiest person I have seen on GW! I am challenged using an exacto knife on balsa wood.

M

• jscout
    12 years ago

Christine, I believe my cabinet maker used the slide linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: KV 8430 Push To Open Drawer Slide

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

MichelleDT,
    I'd be happy to say I could -- if I could!
    I'm learning by trial and lots and lots of error.
    I just tried trimming the ends of my butcher block counter top and managed to hack the crap out of it.

I hate loud noises and the circular and table saw are too loud. I don't seem to be able to master these two simple things. [whine]

So handy is one thing. Good at it is another.
    Although I'm so anal that when I'm finally done things aren't looking like I made them! :)

Thanks jscout!