Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kassjs

Opinions on prep sink against the wall

kassjs
9 years ago

Hi all,
Just trying to finish up a layout for our total gut-remodel. It'll be a wide galley style, 153" wall to wall. I don't think there is enough room for a permanent island so we are planning on a mobile work table in the middle instead. My question is for the range wall (196") - is having the prep sink (I'm envisioning one that can be undermounted with a small reveal to hold a cutting board when needed) against the wall a bad idea? The KD and I tried it against the fridge and it just looked really wierd. I'd really appreciate any opinions about this (or anything else you see that you'd like to comment on). The sink wall is 168". There is a separate pantry space adjacent to this and a separate closet that will hold cleaning supplies. Thank you so much.

{{gwi:2139026}}

{{gwi:2139027}}

Comments (31)

• deedles
    9 years ago

Do you think you'd really be prepping in that location? How wide is the aisle of your galley kitchen? What about a bigger sink that could do double duty for prepping and dishes. Thinking about one of those Kohler 45" or something like that.

It just seems odd to try to prep jammed between the stove and sink the way it is. Or. have you considered swapping the fridge and microwave? Then you could have a prep sink on the stove side with plenty of room on either side of the sink and plenty of room between the sink and stove. Esp. if the stove moved further down a pinch, too.

You'll get lots of ideas on this, I'm sure.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I think the problem isn't whether it's awkward to have the sink against the wall, the problem is the sink should be between the refrigerator and the cooktop, since that's where you will do most of your prep work.

• kassjs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are 54" on the left side of the cooktop and 57" on the right. The KD was concerned that if we put the prep sink next to the fridge and then scootch the stove down towards the wall, the symmetry would be all messed up and look ridiculous. Not sure what I think about that.

• deedles
    9 years ago

I have no prep sink but it seems I remember more than a couple people say when they put a prep sink in a corner of an island with space only to one side of it, that they really wished they had a landing space on both sides of the sink. That always stuck in my head. Like picture washing some veggies. dirty-sink-clean.

A sink jammed up against anything seems to cut down on it's usefulness.

Do you cook a lot?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I think your KD is too concerned with symmetry (which is overrated) and not concerned enough with the functioning of your kitchen. I'd put the prep sink closer to the fridge, and move the stove down so that you have at least 3' between the prep sink and the stove. You might even be able to accomplish that without moving the stove down, but then you have to figure out what you will do with the counter to the left of the stove. Personally I prefer a much bigger prep space (I spread out all along my 10' island now)

• kassjs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do cook a lot, but currently am working in a kitchen with about 36" of counter space total. All of this seems so over-the-top nice to me, it's hard to wrap my head around. :) How much space would you leave between the fridge and the sink?

• poohpup
    9 years ago

I agree with sjhockeyfan that your KD is too concerned about symmetry, especially in a galley kitchen where you aren't going to have a head on view of that run of cabinetry. I'd definitely go for function, especially when pushing the range further to the left makes such a huge function difference. I'd push the range to the left and put the prep sink to the right so it is on the same side as the fridge. You're looking at a really functional space then and it will still be beautiful.

My cooktop is centered in my peninsula with a small bank of drawers on each side. One of the regrets in my kitchen is that I didn't scoot the cooktop over and give myself one larger bank of drawers instead of having the two small ones. I suggested it but caved when both my KD and contractor told me it would look strange. Now that it is done, I don't think it would have looked strange and it would have been more functional. I'd bet there are fewer regrets when choosing function over form. After all, it is a work space. Live and learn.

Lots and lots of pictures on houzz of galley kitchens that don't have that symmetry that your KD wants.

{{gwi:2139028}}

[Eclectic Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by Oconomowoc Kitchen & Bath Designers Tracy Leah Interior Design

{{gwi:2139029}}

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Manhattan Beach General Contractors Titan & Co.

{{gwi:2139030}}

[Transitional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2112) by New York Interior Designers & Decorators David Scott Interiors

{{gwi:2139031}}

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Atlanta Architects & Building Designers Frederick + Frederick Architects

• kassjs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Poohpup - it is so helpful to visualize things like that! I had the right layout in my head, but caved when everyone at the design meeting told me how wierd it would look. How about if I change it to something like this:
    {{gwi:2138416}}

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

The last one posted a great layout. Except for the island. It's in the way of everything. Turn it into a peninsula, and it will work. And give you seating on the other side.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I have a similar situation. It's a wide galley. Too much space between the two walls and not enough space for an island. It's really difficult to design.

I like the second rendering with the stove moved down the line and some space on each side of the prep sink. It will function nicely.

Get beyond the idea of perfect symmetry. The only time you will see it is on the paper when you are planning it. I also like the fact that the stove won't interfere with the clean up on the other side of the kitchen. Moving the stove down the wall guarantees it.

The work table on casters may work, it may not. My mother had one that was great. But, her kitchen was an L. In your kitchen, it may get in the way. I would get the kitchen done without it. Live with the kitchen for six months. If you decide you need it, you can get it later. I think you have enough work space without it.

• deedles
    9 years ago

Did you say how wide your aisle is? From your last rendering it looks like almost 7 feet across? Sorry if you said the width but I can't seem to find it in the thread.

• kassjs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi deedles (I LOVE your kitchen, btw). It really helped me visualize 36" next to the stove. :)

Wall to wall is 12'8". Counter to counter should be about 8'4".

• kassjs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

homechef59 - I so appreciate your comments - it is a wierd layout to work with, but I feel good that I'm almost there. The contractors are all waiting on me. :) My uncle would build the table so it's not really any extra cost. When not in use, it would sit through the door to the family/dining room and against the wall. It fits pretty nicely there. I'm in agreement that we wait for a while before we decide if we need it or not. Thanks!

• deedles
    9 years ago

Boy if you have that much of an aisle it almost doesn't seem like a galley, really. At the very least consider having 30" deep counters either having deeper cabinets or pulling them forward to make the extra depth. I wish I could have found a way to do that but I just couldn't. Everyone that has deep counters seem to love the extra space.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

With a galley layout, you generally don't need a prep sink. What may be creating a need for one here is that worktable -- and it's not adding that much. With that in your way, you are going to want a sink and work area on the other side -- but it feels forced, a bit cramped and on the awkward side to me.

Don't get to hung up on symmetry and make sure you or your KD don't get too focused on cramming everything possible into a space. For everything you add, you take away something else.

My kitchen is just slightly wider -- too narrow for most folks here to want an island, but too wide to function without one. A peninsula layout was mentioned, but another option would be to do a layout with a functional island and shallow cabinets on one side? You would essentially chose one wall plus the island as your galley and use the shallow cabinets as storage and buffet space. If you are a baker, your window could be a great work space -- don't think it has to put the sink there.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Like this.

• kassjs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

deedles - it probably technically isn't a galley but we designed it like that because of how we use the kitchen. 3 kids, hubby working from home and 2 of us using the kitchen together all the time. Me on the cooking wall and hubby on the clean up side. I figured putting the speed oven on that side also makes another prep space for bigger parties or when one of the kids wants to start cooking alongside.

lascatx - we did actually lay out that option but because of where the kitchen is in the house and the traffic patterns, we could not get it to work well for us.

greendesigns - thank you for that. We actually looked at that layout as well but traffic patterns make it a little difficult to bottleneck right there.

I so appreciate all of your input!

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

Just piping in to say I'm paying close attention. Am planning a wide galley kitchen - though about a foot narrower & with shorter sides (132" & 92".)

People here have saved me time & again from both myself & from the pros.

• Liz
    9 years ago

Can you scoot the doorway to family/dining room either up or down, so you can make an L at either the top or bottom. (Possibly with the range on the short wall of the L. W/ a 24" landing space on the doorway side and a corner cab, followed by a long prep space, on the other.)

On the side of the kitchen without the L, put a less-deep hutch style cab (maybd 36" wide) at the end closest to the family room. So the doorway isnt too crowded.

• kassjs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The doorway is kind of awkward in that part of it runs into the basement door and family room built ins. See photo below (the built ins are covered in plastic). We will semi-regularly have 30-40 people for meals so we thought shifting the door to the left and widening it a bit would buy us the most flexibility with traffic. I would really rather not rerun the heating duct there so we want to stop before that.

{{gwi:2136736}}

• Liz
    9 years ago

My suggestion above is based on my own kitchen, which has similarly-placed doorways. I just measured, and mine is exactly the same width as yours.

Our (newly improved) layout is working great, including with our young "helpers". An L on one side (with range on the short leg, btwn a corner susan and an 18" drawer cab), and a straight run on the other, which houses our clean up area (sink & d/w). It would be perfect if I had a prep sink on the long leg of our L, but that didn't work out for us ($$$ wise and b/c my runs are not as long as yours).

We do have a tiny island, , mainly to square off the range away from little kid traffic. But neighbors with same floorplan strongly prefer no island.

Anyway. Just wanted to share that the L + straight run is an option which is working great for us. And I think reducing the depth of the first cab on your straight run would be a nice tweak, as it would allow for a wider doorway.

• kassjs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

By any chance, do you have a picture? I can picture it in my head, but when I pretend cook in it it helps for me to see it. :)
    Thanks so much for your advice.

• Liz
    9 years ago

Oh, I posted before I saw your post. How far from the lower wall is the heating duct? Looks like you may have room for a small L at the top of the kitchen.

• Liz
    9 years ago

I dont have pics of my kitchwn handy right now. But its like this, except my island is smaller (only 22 inches wide).

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen with small L

• szruns
    9 years ago

I second the 30" deep counters + 15" uppers idea!! Those extra few inches *really* pay off in extra work space and storage space, and, for you, would have the added benefit of bringing your two sides of the galley a foot closer together, which would be really nice in your lay out. My kitchen has a central island, and I couldn't afford to take the extra 6" from all the sides of it, so I only did 30" deep counters (and 15" deep uppers) on a very short 24" wide cabinet that is landing space for the fridge. But, WOW, those drawers store a huge amount with those extra 6" long drawers, and the upper15" deep cabinet sure holds a lot of glasses! The extra deep counter would be fabulous working space. If I ever design a kitchen again, I'd totally do the 30" deep counters if it worked in the space. If you're doing custom cabinets, you might find very little price increase with the extra depth.

The only tricky part might be the range. Ask here how to handle that . . . I personally might guess that the range could either be pulled out from the wall with a little ledge/shelf/dummy wall behind it . . . but I have no idea. I'm sure someone here knows a good idea. :)

• User
    9 years ago

I have a much narrower galley - so narrow that I went the opposite of the advice here and used shallow lowers just to get myself a 48" aisle. So I envy your dilemmas! I would have loved to make an L work with a few stools.

I just wanted to weigh in on the issue of symmetry - I had the same difficulty in persuading the KD who was ordering my cabinets to disregard his normal requirements for symmetry. He practically had a heart attack when I insisted on not centering my sink under the window, and tried to foist a ridiculous 24" wide door atop a microwave cabinet for purposes of symmetry. I told him that I'd much rather have unsymmetrical narrower doors that were less of a head-bonking issue for my family. And some wise person here kept reminding me that you don't typically see a galley straight on, the way you would with another style of layout.

In any case, now that it's done, the whole issue of symmetry seems even more ridiculous than it did in theory before hand. The photos above do a nice job of reinforcing the typical view that, even if they are probably more narrow than yours will be. There are a bunch of great galley reveals on this site. Do a search for @BrooklynGalley, @MGMum, @kitchen_maman, @runninginplace, @erhm, @nycbluedevil, @histokitch, @smilingjudy, @yesdear - among others.

• kassjs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

elizardbethday - thank you for the picture. That does help.

szruns - if I cant find the range question answered in the past, I'll post a separate thread for that. That's a good question.

smalloldhouse - thank you for all the names - pictures are always so helpful for me.

I've talked with hubby (6'4") and he's all about more depth. My only question (at 5'3") is will I be able to reach the uppers ok?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

If you make the lowers deeper, I would strongly suggest making the uppers deeper too.

• kassjs
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, yes, sjhockeyfan - I was thinking at least 15 - or would you go 18 because I'm short?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'm a little under 5'3" and I think I would go 15" because that way, when you're working on the counter under the uppers, the cabinets won't be in your face. If you do 18" uppers and 30" lowers, you have the same 12" of space in front of you as you would have if you did the standard 24/12.

• deedles
    9 years ago

Just popping in to say that I have 15 deep uppers with standard depth lowers and I don't find them to be 'in my face' at all. If I went 30 deep on lowers for sure I'd go 18 with the uppers just for the extra storage. 18" will be 12" back from the counter edge just like the 12/24 set up.

Sounds like you're getting some great feedback!