Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicnsb_gw

Spices in drawers thread???

vicnsb
15 years ago

I can't seem to come up with it and I remember it being

pretty recent with lots of pics. Thanks to anyone who can

post how they have put the spices in drawers again...thanks!

vic

Comments (15)

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Was it this thread with a link to an older thread?

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: spice drawers/inserts recommendations

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Here's mine again:

• momof3kids_pa
    15 years ago

I have half Ikea spice jars, half I got at Fantes because they had a shaker insert lid. To protect the label from getting messy, I printed out the spice name on the printer, laminated it, then ran it through my sticker maker. I do have a label maker, but I wanted the circular look.

{{!gwi}}

This one next to it is not as pretty... yet!

{{!gwi}}

• eks6426
    15 years ago

Momof3kids...how deep is the drawer where you have the spices? I love the simplicity of your spice storage and the uniform look appleals to me as well. How many ounces do your spice bottle store?

• morton5
    15 years ago

I use the little supermarket spice jars, store them upright, and write the name of the spice on the lid with a Sharpie, so that I don't have to lift the jar and read the label. I also write the date I open them on the bottom, so I know how fresh they are. They all go in a drawer. A few taller jars are stored on their sides in the same drawer.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Here's mine in my old kitchen. I have two drawers now!

The jars are from Container Store. At some point, I couldn't find them on the website and panicked a bit. (I have issues with things matching! ;-)) So, I found them from a wholesale supplier and bought a case each of the small and med size. So, I am set for life.

But, I have since discovered I just wasn't looking in the right place at the Container Store website. So, I can still buy the 8oz. jars a few at a time when I need them.
    I like to buy my spices in bulk...that doesn't mean large quantities necessarily...just less packaging waste.

I just looked for a link and still had trouble....they're not where you'd expect them to be under spices or even jars!

Here is a link that might be useful: It's under the

• vicnsb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This was perfect, this is a great thread to keep going.
    vic

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Here's a link to where I got my bottles in bulk. I bought the 2 oz and the 4 oz. sizes. Be prepared if you order -- the shipping is expensive IIRC. But, like I said, I have issues with everything matching and it was worth every penny! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: SKS Bottle

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I love to cook and have tons of spices, herbs, peppers, salts,oils, etc. Back when we were planning this kitchen, I found a thread here about the inserts to create a spice drawer. I had our KD put one in and I love it. Mine are not all identical, which works for me, but alphabetizing them helps me tremendously. BTW, the rest of my spices, oils, etc, are in the cabinet above the counter and the pull-out racks on either side of my cooktop. The ideas I got here on this forum have worked fantastically for me!
    Lynn
    {{!gwi}}

• homepro01
    15 years ago

Like Amy, I ordered my tin cans from SKS. I love the metal ones because they prevent light from getting to the spices. I purchase my spices from Savory Spice shop in Colorado and I love them. I purchased 48 4oz tins from SKS for about $40 including shipping if I remember correctly. These are twist tops which makes it easy to use.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: 4oz metal tins

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

In my old kitchen I had the angled inserts in the shallow top drawer of my cabinet. In this kitchen I have the spice pullout. I much prefer this system to the angled one because I can fit so much more in a smaller space.

At first I was frustrated because the jars didn't stay in their rows but then i bought these little insert bars that hold the rows in place.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Anita

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Mine has the jars all standing upright and labeled on top -- it's shown in the link below, which has others too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ways to store a ton of spices thread

• momof3kids_pa
    15 years ago

Hi, sorry vic, I've been gone all day.

My jars are 6 ounces, I think, the ikea site says 5 ounces, but the fantes site says 6 ounces, but to my eye they are the same exact size and dimensions. And my drawer is 5.25" from the bottom of the drawer to the top of the drawer front.

I don't know how to do 2 links so I'll do 2 separate posts. These are the ones from Ikea:

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea Spice Jars

• momof3kids_pa
    15 years ago

This is the fantes site, you have to scroll down to see the ones I have... #5026 6 oz Glass Ball Spice Jar

Quite a difference in price, but I wanted that shaker insert. I wish Ikea would get on the ball and include that with theirs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fantes