Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rae74_gw

Please post pics of your wood countertop

rae74
12 years ago

I am considering a wood countertop for my island. I would love to see some pictures. Please be sure to tell me the type of wood you used. Thanks!

Comments (56)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Ours are premium wide plank cherry in a dark finish, hand hewn.

The flat piece is the cherry, the upright is the tiger oak on my fridge, and the third sample is my pewter countertops.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: wood counters, ny metro

• nini804
    12 years ago

Ours is oil finished walnut. (but I am getting it changed to Waterlox.)

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

boxerpups ... "Mesquite Island"

Mesquite is a tree native to the SW USA and Mexico. Lovely wood, extremely stable, harder than hell and with fabulous grain and color. Also chews up woodworking tools, doesn't come in large chunks and is $$$$ unless you have contacts (or a chainsaw and a permit).

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

These counters are so beautiful....all of them.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Thanks Lazygardens,

• tubeman
    12 years ago

What are the different finishes on some of these tops? I know many people use waterlox or oil. Are there others represented here?

• jw34
    12 years ago

FWIW I first thought of finishing the countertops myself with a marine (ie waterproof) varnish -- but, after working on some test pieces, concluded I lacked the environment/skills to achieve a good result. (As my brother put it, "every time you see a cat hair in the finish you'll be unhappy".) So Devos finished for me with Waterlox.

You'll want to use an oil finish if you plan to use the counters for chopping; Waterlox isn't suitable for that.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

This isn't my kitchen, but I like this island :)
    {{gwi:1397305}}From Snow White album

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Tubeman, we used Good Stuff for Wood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Stuff for Wood

• eugenie11
    12 years ago

Our island is walnut - and it got stained darker than I would have liked - it is finished with marine finish (for boats), but it still scratches some.

One thing I do like about it - it's a softer landing than granite, which we have around the perimeters. I'm nervous if I put the coffee pot down too hard on that granite!

Hope this helps

• tubeman
    12 years ago

JW34 - That's a beautiful finish on your top! Is that the "satin" Waterlox?

• melsey
    12 years ago

I'm traveling and using my college daughter's laptop (yes...I'm bored while she's in class!), but we've used Craft Art for a number of our wood countertops and islands. I view them as the higher-end product. I haven't been on GW lately, but I recall that someone said they are also now selling stainless steel, copper and glass, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: CraftArt Wood Countertops Link

• kitschykitch
    12 years ago

Is the recent popularity of walnut aesthetic or functional?
    thanks

• melsey
    12 years ago

KitschyKitch...actually, walnut isn't recently popular. For as long as I've owned wood countertops (which is FAR too long for me to admit!), walnut was always the most popular. I've been told it's because it works as a "tweener" between light and dark and is somewhat timeless in style. When we moved a few years ago I almost bought a very dark (Wenge) wood and was told by the manufacturer (Craft Art) that dark woods become more popular in economic downturns, which I found interesting. The industry saying is "dark woods for dark times". BTW...I still went with black walnut. :)

• jw34
    12 years ago

tubeman: Yes, that is 'satin' Waterlox. Actually, I think they used 3 coats of 'regular', followed by 2 of 'satin'. It's only been 9 months but so far so good; holding up well under my reasonably careful but far from fastidious use.

(One of my neighbors said that all of her friends stopped using their kitchens after a remodel but I love to cook and bake and have something going on every day.)

• macybaby
    12 years ago

This one is Ikea oak, finished with General Finishes salad bowl finish.

This is John Boos - maple, with mineral oil rubbed on.

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

Here is my island.
    It's John Boos Hard Rock Maple in the oiled (boos mystery oil) finish.

We cut right on it. Love it.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I should have mentioned that mine is finished with Osmo Polyx Oil, a food-safe, green product. It looks as if it doesn't have a finish on it. I love its softly glowing, natural look. I can easily apply it to a spot or two that might need an extra bit of Osmo, like around the sink where I wipe a lot, in only a few minutes without having to do the whole top. Just wipe on, wipe off.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I should have mentioned that mine is finished with Osmo Polyx Oil, a food-safe, green product. It looks as if it doesn't have a finish on it. It has a natural look with a soft glow. I can easily apply some to a spot or two that might need a little bit of finish (like around the sink where I wipe a lot) in only a few minutes without having to do the whole top. Just wipe on, wipe off.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Sorry about the double post. My ridiculously slow and old PC seized on me, and I didn't realize it posted twice.

• melsey
    12 years ago

Breezygirl...I'd double post something that beautiful anyway! :)

• kalapointer
    12 years ago

I have wide plank maple in my pantry that is finished with a food safe product called Profin. It has six coats so it is really water resistant. I applied it and it was very easy to do. It still feels like wood and not just the finish. I just love it. I also used the same counter top for my desk top in my office.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

OT
    Kalapointer, I am an admirer of your cookbook collection. How do you organize them...alphabetical? assigned spots? topics? size?

Where do you put the ones that don't fit--the new ones and the screwy sized ones?

This is an attractive pantry/baking space...is it a separate room or is all this seen from another part of kitchen?

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

(Brief threadjack)

Eugenie: Your cutting board looks fantastic. We had a thread about cutting boards back in October (linked below). Would you mind taking a picture of your board and posting it on that thread, which I linked below? Thanks!

(Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.)

Here is a link that might be useful: thread on cutting boards

• kalapointer
    12 years ago

florantha, my cookbooks are organized by topic and the over sized ones lay flat on the top shelf, which you can't see in the photo. No, you cannot see the pantry from the kitchen if I keep the door closed. It is a separate room. This photo shows the pantry door from the kitchen.

• shelayne
    12 years ago

IKEA Beech, Waterloxed with Original and Satin.

I would have loved Walnut. *swoooon* Maybe someday....

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Kalapointer,

LOVE to read cookbooks. Your collection is stunning.
    Now you must tell me your favorite!
    Okay so one is too hard to choose.
    Tell me your top 10. I love cook books, my collection
    is a pittance but knowing what others love I can slowly
    collect a few good ones.
    Thanks,
    ~boxer

• kalapointer
    12 years ago

Boxer, I love anything by Julia Child. "The Way to Cook" is my favorite. I also like alot of regional cook books like "San Francisco Ala Carte", "Colorado Cache" and "Purple Sage". "The Pie and Pastry Bible" by Rose Beranbaum and Dorrie Greenspan's "Paris Sweets". For Italian I like Marcells Hazan's books, but I really like the recipes that I received at my cooking classes in Italy. I also like Ina Garten aka Bearfoot Contessa's books. I hope that helps. Have fun collecting!
    Kala

• mary52zn8tx
    12 years ago

We have mesquite counters with Waterlox. We bought the wood locally since we are in Texas.

• pirula
    12 years ago

Here are mine. American cherry treated with pure tung oil and citrus solvent from the Real Milk Paint company. Totally food safe, and like nails five years later, or is it six? I've reapplied every 12-18 months. This picture is relatively recent, within the past couple of years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Real Milk Paint Co.

• dawn_t
    12 years ago

Ikea Numerar oak, stained w/ Minwax and finished w/ Waterlox original.

(please ignore the photoshopped backsplash, I'm hoping to finish my kitchen this century sometime...)

{{!gwi}}

• agmss15
    12 years ago

Has anyone inlaid tile in a wood counter. I recently visited a family friend who has a kitchen island built by my dad 25-30 years ago. It was maple with slate inlaid in it. Looking weathered and lovely. I like the idea but am not sure how practical it is. Unfortunately my dad is no longer around to give me instructions.

• jw34
    12 years ago

Devos offers options for inlays; perhaps they can offer you advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Integrated Options for Custom Wood Countertops

• rae74
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you to all who posted pictures! Very helpful...and beautiful.

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

PIRULA- Do you cut on your top with tung oil?

• rockhouse
    12 years ago

Here's our John Boos hard rock maple (full rail) oiled counter top.
    http://ecohike.com/Rockhouse/thumbs/P1000112.JPG

and a link to the page online in case I did the image wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boos maple counter top

• pupwhipped
    12 years ago

I ended up getting reclaimed redwood in an end grain pattern for my small island. The picture below is from the website that I got my top from as I don't have a picture of my own top to post. Mine looks very similar but maybe just a tiny bit shinier. I got my top in the permanent waterlox finish as I knew I would never cut on it.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Mizinformation
    12 years ago

All these are so beautiful! I love the dark walnut, redwood, mesquites you all have, but ours will end up much lighter. We're DIYers, trying to use recycled materials as much as possible. A friend's salvage business just got us 16ftx42in of reclaimed bowling alley: edge grain hard rock maple with inlayed mahogany arrows. It was originally 3in thick, but 30+ years of sanding has taken it down to 2.5 inches. We'll use 8ftx42in for our main prep/eat-in peninsula. After scraping and sanding, we'll likely finish it with Skidmore's Beeswax wood finish (an outfit we know from Wyoming, and their beeswax products are bomber for wood and leather). It cost a little over $300 for the whole 16ft lane, as opposed to over $2,000 for a new 8ft butcher block counter. (P.S. Rockhouse, I can't get enough of your home adventure. Just amazing. We've loved all our times hiking Utah canyons.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bowling Lane Butcher Block Countertop

• pirula
    12 years ago

2littlefishies: Sorry, just seeing this. No, I don't cut on them, but I could. Just prefer not to. I use the same formula on my cutting boards though.

• rockhouse
    12 years ago

I posted above but have since figured out how to insert pics. There are full rail hard rock maple (1 1/2") thick, just oiled. Made by John Boos & Co. We do some light cutting on them and lots of rolling.

• Mary Ann Boffey
    12 years ago

Black Walnut, craft-art.com, 4x8 Contractor's DIY (bare wood). Cut and routed by our contrator, then I did Waterlox finish. Love it.

• tubeman
    12 years ago

This is a craft art and waterlox top as well.

• DenaMarie
    11 years ago

to MaryannBoffey who posted (2 posts up) a pic of her kitchen showing Walnut Stained wood countertop on the island...

WOW! Your kitchen is to-die-for drop dead GORGEOUS! Every element, every detail, perfection. Are there more pics posted on a blog or anywhere, I'd love to see more and read about your project. Very impressive design and decor, well done!

-DenaMarie

• eleena
    11 years ago

Oh, those are gorgeous countertops!

I had always thought they had to be plank or "butcher block" type but I see now that I was mistaken.

Would it be OK to stain a wood countertop in color other than "natural" wood color (yellow and browns) or black (provided the finish is food safe)?

I know it would be unusual but I don;t see why not.

Thoughts?

• MIssyV
    11 years ago

Mahogany

{{!gwi}}

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

>Would it be OK to stain a wood countertop in color other than "natural" wood color (yellow and browns) or black (provided the finish is food safe)?

Sure. There's plenty of stained ikea BB around, like reshal's:

But now that there are so many reasonably priced alternatives, like real black walnut for DIY from craft-art, for example, it's gotten easier just to get the genuine article unless the budget is really tight.

Here is a link that might be useful: reshal's BB thread

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Oops, sorry, I misread your post. I don't see why you couldn't do a color, but the tricky part would be not making just look painted. I've been thinking about gray washing butcherblock for a bathroom countertop.

• Mary Ann Boffey
    11 years ago

To DenaMarie... I'm sorry I don't know how to reply to you privately. Glad you like our kitchen, we are really enjoying it. If you have any questions you can email me directly at boffeys@gmail.com.
    If you follow the link below, you can see the original post (scroll to the bottom for the "before" pic).

Thanks!
    Mary Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: maryannboffey kitchen

• patsyathome
    11 years ago

Ikea beech 1 1/8" thick BB counter on top of our 1957 birch cabinets. I chose the thiner IKEA BB because it would be easier and cheaper for us DIY's than the heavier thicker BB. It is finished with 3 coats of gloss Waterlox. Seven months later I still love this counter top. My BH was leary of trying to butt the thin BB so I opted to layer the long ends of the 'U' over the BB on the botton of the 'U'. Unusual but it works for us. We are both tall so the extra height was ok. My only regret is chosing the IKEA sink and faucet. Sink is too thin a guage and faucet doesn't have a spray setting. Though I do like the built-in drain in the Boholmen sink.