Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdionnemoore_gw

Show off time! Pics of your rectangular islands

sdionnemoore
16 years ago

Looking for pictures of rectangular or triangular shaped islands. If you can capture it from a couple of different angles (I'm particulary interested in how the appliances look and what appliances you have there) that'd be great!

Comments (26)

• shawneeks
    16 years ago

• natesgramma
    16 years ago

• Nancy Adamopoulos
    16 years ago

• sdionnemoore
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is fun! Thanks!
    Shawneeks--I never would have thought to couple that green with you cabs. It looks wonderful together. Great taste!Your staggered height cabs really add drama to the room.

natesgramma--Your granite has wonderful movement. What is it? Love how you've made even a small island so serviceable with the microwave and overhang.

lishaana--Gorgeous! The mullioned cabs over regular and and staggered is really eye-catching. I'll have to consider that. Do you put seasonal things in those top cabs? Your island is a good size. Do you have any appliances other than the wine cooler in it?

• tonilynne
    16 years ago

We have a long rectangular island. No appliances, but we do have an awesome base pantry in the island, along with pull out drawers for the tupperware and a big drawer for the big kitchen implements.

• patti823
    16 years ago

Pull out trash is on the right, with silverware drawer above. The middle drawers house wax papaer saran, hot pads, etc. in the top drawer, the middle drawer holds my dishes, and the bottom one has paper plates, placemats, etc. The drawer below my microwave has all my tupperware.

• brpinson
    16 years ago

Picture quality not so good, but you get the general idea-

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

Here's one view of ours. No appliances in the island, but lots of great storage. The wall to the right that you can't see has our clean-up sink and dishwashers.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

We have a large island with a sink and dishwasher. Are you trying to figure out where best to place the appliances? Dishwasher is just to the right of the sink that you can kind of make it out in the second photo.

• alku05
    16 years ago

No appliances, but we have a prep sink and pullout trash there:

Backside:

Window side:

Fridge side:

• donnar57
    16 years ago

I wish my pictures would post right in my message like others do, but Tripod isn't a very good host for that kind of thing. So I'll try to link to one. You can go from there and poke around the photo album by going to the next page (6) and finding a picture labeled "It's Finished 9/12". That has a closer view of the island.

I have a small center rectangular island. In it I have a trash pullout, two long sliding shelves, a long drawer, and a short drawer.

DonnaR/CA

Here is a link that might be useful: Donna's Kitchen Island

• Nancy Adamopoulos
    16 years ago

sdionnemoore- to answer your questions...

Right now we don't have anything in those stacked mullioned cacbs (we just moved in)- I'll be using them more for display I think. We have 42" cabs below them (our ceilings are 11'. We got in-cabinet lighting installed in those cabs. I saw a display of similar lighted cabs where they put fiestaware in those cabs in complemetary colors to the kitchen and those cabinets glowed the color of the fiestaware when the lighting was on. I was very eye catching.

As for what we have in the island. It is approx 4' x7' It has a prep sink in a 24" cab. 21" slide out trash cab, Divided tray cab, a set of 30" deep drawers and a standard cab with a pullout tray. In the front there is a wine fridge(the spot is designed for a built-in but we are using our existing free-standing cooler for now. and right next to it is a cabinet for wine glasses which I plan to install stemware holders in it.

• jj145
    16 years ago

alku05, I love your kitchen. Our kitchen has similar color tones. We are thinking of going with a marble backsplash and seeing your countertop may make us move away from the Blue Pearl Granite to something light like yours. What type of type of marble did you use for that backsplash? And what about your countertop?

Thanks!

• alku05
    16 years ago

Jj145, our countertop is a white granite called Andromeda White. It's very similar to Bianco Romano, but with less movement. The backsplash is 1" x 2" subway mosaic white venatino marble. We got a great deal on the tile b/c it was being discontinued, but you can find similar tile styles in the Walker Zanger Tribeca collection.

• jj145
    16 years ago

alku05 - thanks SO much for the information! You got me really excited about marble and helped get me out of the granite rut I have been in (I'm so sick of granite!) Do you worry about staining?

• alku05
    16 years ago

Jj145, email me through My Page and I'll tell you more about it. I don't want to hijack sdionnemore's post any more than we have already.

Sorry sdionnemoore!

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

soonermagic,

still just love everything about your house. we are framed in and i keep thinking, "how can i make my kitchen/house look that inviting/beautiful". congratulations on achieving such a perfect home.

• Cloud Swift
    16 years ago

The first two pictures are from the completed kitchen, the rest are in earlier stages.
    The big picture showing the back of the island which has two two foot wide by 1 foot deep cabinets under the overhang and electrical outlets on each corner under the overhang. The island is about 4 by 8 feet:

Rangetop with completed hood installation:

Island front - from left to right oils and condiment pullout, pot and pan drawers under rangetop, microwave with spice drawer above and pot holder storage below, prep sink with electrical outlet and prep appliances below.

side with pull out for cutting boards and some bowls. The other side has a similar cabinet for baking sheets, cooling racks and baking pans because the baking center is across the aisle from it:

• ljsandler
    16 years ago

Here's mine:

The island has a pullout trash, angled plugmold and a remote downdraft on it, in addition to regular storage drawers and cabinets.

• sdionnemoore
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beautiful islands. I can't believe what all you have packed into your island, cloud swift, kudos on the design. Lsandler, can I get a close up of your plugmold? Is it under the counter?

Soonermagic. I see a prep sink and a, what, microwave? Do you have any other appliances in the island that I missed? Lovely island. Is it handmade?

Not a problem alku, that's what I love about this forum, you get so many new ideas just by looking at everyone elses comments and pics.

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Bumping .... to keep a lot of pics from falling off

• shoezoo
    16 years ago

alkuo5-could you tell me what kind of wood you used for your floor and what the stain is?? It's beautiful.

• salonv
    16 years ago

lsander- what is that granite on the island? It should be in my house!!

• ljsandler
    16 years ago

Thanks for your kind words, salonv.

It's called Gold and Silver--I love it too. Here's a close up:

• alku05
    16 years ago

Shoezoo, our floors are a laminate made to look like Brazillion Cherry.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner