Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Large tile for backsplash

Posted by zarko123 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 22:18

Hi

I am thinking of having a large size tile (12x35) for the kitchen backsplash. Any issues with installing such large tiles? I recall our KD saying that it is tricky, but can't remember why...I am curious if it will damage countertops, cabinets?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Large tile for backsplash

The layout is tricky because they are so large and there will be a certain amount of waste.

o

I'm no expert, just an amateurish idea.

As far as I know the distance b/w the counter and the uppers is usually 18-20". If yours would be 18, you may be OK with 12x35 tiles in terms of wasted material, assuming it can be 1,5 tiles.

In my old kitchen we had 50 cm x 50 cm/ (~ 19.7") tiles and the upper-counter distance was also 50 cm. (the only thing I didn't hate in that kitchen). .

o

Large tiles are tricky on floors due to uneven spots in the floor. If your wall is like mine, it waves across just a few feet. Your installer will need to make the wall absolutely even if you use large tiles.

o

The other issue is that long tiles can warp. If they do you've got to lay imperfect tile on an imperfect wall. The way to deal with this is to expect large grout lines and to soldier them. If this doesn't appeal to you, reconsider the tile. Check out the link below for more info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Warpage

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here