Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baczkowski

Oxford Cabinet Company

baczkowski
9 years ago

Below is a long overdue post about Oxford Cabinet Shop, the Amish custom cabinet maker that has received a lot of positive feedback over the years from other GardenWeb posters but with few recent posts. I wanted to update information about the company so people can contact them easier as well as share my experiences and results. Over a year ago Oxford Cabinets built and installed almost all of our cabinets for a large house addition and we were very satisfied with the results. See the pictures below for yourself after more than a year of wear and tear by two messy adults and 2 very active young kids.

Most GardenWeb posts refer to Jacob Fisher as the owner of Oxford Cabinet Shop but Jacob sold the business to his long time installer about 2 years ago. Jacob still works for the company and it's still located on his farm but the new owner is Laverne Harnish. Laverne is Mennonite instead of Amish so I found it somewhat easier to communicate than older GW post describe because he uses email and a cell phone. Laverne's email address is Laverne@oxfordcabinetry.com and the cabinet shop phone number is 610-842-5670. Over time I found that someone answered the phone every day instead of the twice a week that older GW posts indicate. The one negative experience that I had through the long design and installation process was that sometimes Laverne was slow to return an email or phone call. When our job was done he explained that part of his response problem was that he was still trying to help out in the field on installation jobs and was still adjusting to being the owner. Since a year has passed, it's quite possible that this is no longer an area for growth. I know that towards the end of my job Laverne's wife was helping to answer his email and handle payments.

After driving from my home in Bethesda, MD (a DC suburb) to both DutchWood and Oxford, I chose Oxford because they had a shorter turn around time (5-6 weeks vs. 8 weeks) and were willing to work with me on pricing. One example of the latter is that I told Laverne that I would probably buy my kitchen cabinets from him but go with DutchWood for their economy line for our bookshelves and bathroom cabinets. Laverne said he wanted to work something out so he could do everything. Since I had such a large order, he was willing to match Dutchwood's economy line pricing for the base price (on just the bookshelves and bathroom cabinets, not the kitchen cabinets) and then added on their usual upcharges such as inset design, walnut top, side panels, etc. The final price was a few thousand dollars less than their original quote on bookshelves and bathroom cabinets. As a result of his flexibility I got a better final product for a more reasonable price.

Some other positives that I experienced with Laverne and Oxford were that they were able to do any customization that I found on GW or Houzz, the quality of the cabinets is top notch, their kitchen cabinet installer was very professional and skilled, any problem they tried to make right with me, and they were more than patient with my contractor who (not to my knowledge for a long time) were not timely with their payments even though I had paid them properly and in full.

So, check out the results:

{{gwi:2139000}}
{{gwi:2139001}}
{{gwi:2139002}}
{{gwi:2139003}}
{{gwi:2139004}}
{{gwi:2139005}}
{{gwi:2139006}}
{{gwi:2139007}}
{{gwi:2139008}}
{{gwi:2139009}}
{{gwi:2139010}}
{{gwi:2139011}}
{{gwi:2139012}}
{{gwi:2139013}}
{{gwi:2139014}}
{{gwi:2139015}}
{{gwi:2139016}}
{{gwi:2139017}}
{{gwi:2139018}}
http://i57.tinypic.com/e8v9m0.jpg
{{gwi:2139019}}
{{gwi:2139020}}
{{gwi:2139021}}
{{gwi:2139022}}
{{gwi:2139023}}
{{gwi:2139024}}

I love how everything turned out and I would recommend them to anyone looking for custom cabinetry.

Comments (20)

• jtb2004
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you for all of this information! We are just starting research for our renovation and Oxford, Dutchwood, and one other local cabinet maker are on our list to check out. Glad to hear you had a positive experience. Your kitchen and built-ins are just beautiful! I love the storage over the fridge. What a great idea to have both dividers and a shelf. One question, were they helpful with design or did you bring your own design specs for them to build?

• crl_
    9 years ago

Those are just beautiful!

• jtb2004
    9 years ago

That is really great to hear! I've already created a bunch of sketches, poured over NKBA design recommendations, and have a pretty simple design. I am hoping that will be enough to work from (as well as showing him photos of kitchens and features I love). Thank you again!

• Tom
    9 years ago

Thanks for the detailed feedback on your experience. We went with Dutch Wood and had a very positive experience. We are in the process of moving to West Chester, Pa and will most likely redo the kitchen. Since Oxford is very close it gives us another option.

Oh by the way the kitchen is outstanding, enjoy!

• ennenjm
    8 years ago

Baczkowski, those are beautiful cabinets and a very similar layout to what we'll have. If I knew how to PM I'd ask you privately, would you mind terribly telling how much all the kitchen cabinetry cost? I'm only an hour away from Oxford, and am looking to get some perspective on comparative costs to a semi-custom line we've been quoted.

• baczkowski
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'll just share ballparks publicly bc I would want to know too. I think the kitchen totalled about $24,000; the custom inserts, all the slide out drawers, walnut wood, and double upper cabinets on all three walls totalled thousands extra so keep those adjustments in mind when comparing prices. I think my original L shaped quote without those upgrades totaled under $10,000. I can't remember if that first quote was inset or full overlay, but their inset up charge is minuscule compared to other custom or semi custom cabinets. In the kitchen and entertainment center, I went with inset which was a very reasonable upcharge; The bath cabinets were full overlay. I think the TV built ins were about $4500-5000. The bath vanity and upper cabinet totalled about $1500 and the bath linen closet totalled $1500 too. The bath cabinet wood was alder so that was much cheaper than the walnut. And of course everything was custom, Blum guides, hardware included, etc.

• jtb2004
    8 years ago

We are working with Oxford right now for our kitchen renovation. We are doing a very similar look to baczkowski with painted 39 inch uppers (some with mullion doors), a small island with corbels, 36 inch custom range hood, custom hutch and mudroom bench/cabinets and our costs are several thousand below baczkowski's. We won't have any walnut and aren't getting a ton of bells and whistles though. You really can't beat the price for the quality of construction and the ability to completely customize your space. If you do use Oxford, my advice is to remember to be patient throughout the planning and spec process. They can be very slow with communication sometimes (days and days go by without a response) but so far, they have always followed through with everything they have promised. I can't wait for everything to be installed!

• baczkowski
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Our upper cabinets are 42 inches for the bottom cabinet and then an additional 16 I think on top. The two-tier cabinet design increased the cost significantly because it went all the way around the perimeter of the U-shaped kitchen. When you do stacked cabinets, most custom cabinet makers come out to be a much more cost efficient on the up charge compared to semi custom because they can build one box as opposed to having two cabinets stacked on top of each other.

• 12crumbles
    8 years ago

Well, I almost hate to add my comments because we are not quite finished on the design and I don't want Oxford overwhelmed with new orders before I can get mine started! I agree with everything baczkowski has said. Although I'm far from having my finished cabinetry in, I have gone through Jacob's shop twice and seen work in progress. I'm getting stained, but the paint finishes are beautifully done. If I did not like the look of wood grain so much I would choose their painted option for sure. As far as the workmanship on the cabinet construction, it is very exactingly done. I went through another Amish (or "Amishland") shop (it originally referred to itself as Amish but at some point "Amish" was no longer attached to its description) and was quite disturbed with what I saw on construction details. My father was a woodworker so I notice what others may not, and I know what skill it takes to make a good, solid, perfectly true simple box!

• ennenjm
    8 years ago

Wow, that really is a fantastic price for what you received. I will have to check them out before they get too popular and busy!! Thanks for sharing!

• murchkid
    8 years ago

I just came across this thread, while searching for DC area custom cabinet makers. Baczkowski, I live in Bethesda, too, and have been having a hard time choosing a mid-range cabinet company to go with. Seeing your beautiful custom cabs (at a very reasonable price) has given me new direction! Since I don't have nearly the drawing skills you have, I would have to rely on Laverne for designs. I suppose I could also hire a local kitchen designer to work with me on plans and then again with Laverne -- or would you feel comfortable recommending his design capabilities?

I'm going to keep coming back to your kitchen for additional inspiration -- you've made some really smart and useful choices!

• murchkid
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

bumping ... any additional opinions of Oxford Cabinet Co?

Are they part of Diamond Cabinetry now?

• traciel
    8 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning and built-ins are absolutely stunning! Do they drop off in NYC? The thought of driving in NYC scares me to death so I just can't imagine them be willing to come into the city.

• Greg Purdy
    6 years ago

I used Oxford Cabinet when Laverne was the installer and Jacob was the owner. I worked for 9 years as an appliance installer for Whirlpool and then several more years for Sears and Lowes, so I have been in many thousands of kitchens and have seen everything imaginable. One day I was working in a modest rancher, very similar to mine, and they had just had their cabinets installed the prior day by Laverne. I was blown away - I could finally envision what my kitchen might look like. I got the homeowner's permission to let my wife come over and see the kitchen, and we decided to visit Oxford.

Long story short - we save a LOT of money over what we would have paid elsewhere for similar results. Put another way, we got a lot more quality that we would have received for the same money, had we gone to Lowes or Home Depot. Laverne and Jonathan did a wonderful job with the installation, and we have recommended Oxford numerous times to friends who have also purchased from them. I would not hesitate to buy from them in the future.

• Camille468 Harry
    6 years ago
    This thread gives me hope. I live in Northern VA, looking to do a home addition. Would they travel to Virginia? Calling them first thing in the morning. Any other feedback is welcomed!
  • Camille468 Harry
    6 years ago
    @Murchkid, did you end up using Oxford?
  • Susan
    5 years ago

I know this is an old post, but is this Oxford Cabinetry, in Liberty Indiana or is this another cabinet company with the name Oxford?

• Greg Purdy
    5 years ago

No - Oxford, PA

• Susan
    5 years ago

Greg Purdy-Thanks :)