Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathyc618

Thomasville cabinets

kathyc618
16 years ago

Does any have Thomasville cabinets in their kitchen. We are thinking of buying them for our Kitchen remodel.

Comments (13)

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

I looked at them, also. I don't have them. However, an independent GC who did not install my cabinets mentioned that they were not good quality in his opinion (his words were not so polite), when I told him I had priced those also. His recommendation was Medalion, but get plywood skins for all the sides.

Sue

• mpinto
    16 years ago

I have them in my beach house-they came with the place. They have been through many renters and so far so good.

• megaul
    16 years ago

Kathyc618,

You know that saying 'a picture is worth a thousand words'?

Well, here is how my Thomasville cabinets arrived. We had made a point of upgrading to plywood ends so the stain would match!

HHmmmmm. What's wrong with this picture??
    What we got were laminate ends of various colors and 'grain'!

This picture shows the door between the first cabinet (very red) and the replacement cabinet (closer, but still VERY, VERY wrong!)

Maybe some drug testing might be in order in the quality control office!

• gshop
    16 years ago

Thomasville cabinets are made by Kemper, as are Diamond cabinets. So you might check out Kemper or Diamond cabinets and save some $$ instead of buying the special "name" brand cabinets.

• kathyc618
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Megaul how long did it take to get the order right? Also with state are you in?

• megaul
    16 years ago

Kathy,

We're in the northeast Ohio area.

Last week, the Thomasville rep came to our house to see the cabinets in person. He said in his 10 years with the company, he has never seen anything like this before. Of course, it has to be MY cabinets, right!

Anyway, he was very nice and gave us some options. One being, have the entire order replaced. Well, we really don't want to put off starting the kitchen that long, so we opted for the second alternative.

The fronts and doors of the cabinets are all correct. Just the ends are wrong. Since not all the ends will show, those don't really need to be changed. For the ones that will show, he is providing plywood skins and decorative doors which will be a nice look. In fact, that was an upgrade I had considered but didn't get due to added cost. He's also provided the light rail molding for free and I had my husband ask him to throw in a base cabinet glide waste basket which he agreed to. Heck, I wish I had asked for a few more goodies to make up for all the aggravation. Maybe it will turn out to be a good thing if they get it right this time.

We're supposed to get the order in a week to 10 days, so we'll see if they get it right on the third try.

I'll keep you posted if you like.

Have you ordered your cabinets yet?

• angeldolly
    16 years ago

We ordered Thomasville cabinets last Nov thru HD. Received them in about 3 weeks, from Or.; we're in No Cal. We got the white paint, not thermofoil (read bad things about them). We had 1 shelf damaged and they sent a replacement within a week. Lower cabinets are in, granite in, now were installing the upper cabinets. No problems yet!

• kathyc618
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am receiving my order next week. Lets keep my fingers crossed. I'm in southern California so I would guess that they have different building center all over the US.

• aussies
    16 years ago

sue_ct, how did Medallion compare price-wise? I too am considering Thomasville/Diamond, as well as Kraftmaid and Columbia.

• sue_ct
    16 years ago

I did not go with either, and did not price the medallion. My cabinets were already in, installed by someone else, when the GC stopped by to finish up some work he had done for me on opening up a wall. Of coarse, he inspected the other guys work and the cabinets, since does kitchens, also. He put a long level on them, counted the ply's in the plywood, etc. Gave them the once over, so to speak. LOL, if they had tires, I am sure he would have kicked them. He was not critical of any of the materials used, plywood was fine, etc. but he was less impressed with how they were put together and the corners reinforced. I mentioned that I had priced Thomasville cabinets for a similar style with all plywood upgrade and these had been a better buy. He said Thomasville were ****, I laughed and said well then are these at least as good, and he said better, but not as good the medallion, which is what he would have recommended. I didn't have any reason to price the medallion at that point. Mine come from China. I called the company and asked, so I know for sure. I found out many do, especially the boxes. I don't know, but suspect that many less expensive brands either have slightly different styles made for them in China or buy the boxes there and add their own doors and drawer fronts. Anyway, that was only one guys opinion. For all I know Thomasville or others could get some of their cabinets from china, also. I couldn't find anything about where they are made on their website, or detailed information about their cabinet construction to try to figure out how they differed from mine.

Sue

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

I used them in my bathroom remodel and I think they look very nice. The drawers are much better made than my cheap custom made kitchen cabinets.

• megaul
    16 years ago

Kathyc,

Please keep us posted on this thread as to how your shipment comes in. I hope they are perfect and mine were just a weird fluke!

I will post as to my 'decorative doors' and 'skins' when I get them. As long as they make everything right in a reasonable amt. of time, I will be happy.

I just want to get started!

• kathyc618
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got my order and it was taken out of the boxes yesterday. Everything is great. One set of decorative doors was on the wrong side. My GC had his guys come out but they did not catch it but I noticed it after they left. My project coordinator from Home Depot came out to look at it. They are just screwed on so they will just switch them to the other side at install time. We started demo last night. We are having them come to install on Tuesday 2/25. I'm so excited!!!