Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michiganrachel

Question for spice storage gurus

michiganrachel
13 years ago

Reading the earlier post about someone's spice drawer (I'm sorry, I can't remember who wrote the post and I can't find it now) inspired me to start thinking about spice storage in my new kitchen. I was lookng online at www.specialty bottle.com and came across 4 ounce square tin containers. They seem perfect - would line up very well in the drawer, wont break if dropped, clear tops so I can see what's in there.

So, my question - is there anything wrong with storing spices in a tin versus a glass container? Will it keep it less fresh?

Thanks!

Rachel

Comments (15)

• mcraney
    13 years ago

Rachel, here is a link to an old thread about storing spices. Scroll down to a post by Many_Hats showing her metal storage tins.

I don't think you will have any problems storing spices in a tin. Spices have been sold in tins for many years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Storing Spices

• nancyaustin
    13 years ago

That's exactly the type I bought, along with some of the larger 8 oz. size for cinnamon, celery seed and other spices we use often. I've had them a year and think they do a great job of sealing. In fact, they seal so well that it is sometimes difficult to remove the lid. I used a label machine to label each one. They are kept in a top, wide, shallow drawer. The spice drawer was one of the first things I set up in our remodeled kitchen and it always draws "ooohs and ahhhs" from people who are touring the kitchen. I've even given starter sets of these cannisters to friends who have then set up spice drawers in their kitchens. There is something very Zen about having at least one drawer so well-organized;I find myself just opening the drawer to gaze at the neat rows of spice tins. Not only do they give a *theraputic* impact, I use spices more often, now that I can see the array of choices. Go for it, Rachel, and I'll bet you will love them.

• nancyaustin
    13 years ago

Forgot to mention that, in addition to fitting closely together in a drawer and ease in stacking, the wide opening for the square tin makes it each to insert up to a tablespoon to measure the spices. Inserting a tablespoon into the bottles that have more narrow diameters isn't possible.

• plllog
    13 years ago

The thing about tins is that sometimes ambient moisture can combine with whatever's in them and cause some corrosion, especially near joins. Some don't get along with salts, etc. These are very minor concerns, especially if you can get a good seal on the tin. The tins at Specialty Bottle look like they may be one piece construction, which makes this a moot point.

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

Michigan Rachel, I really think this is such a cool idea. They are only 64 to 82 cents apiece! I am bookmarking this site. Several years ago, I put all of my spices in washed out Gerber baby food jars and made really cute labels for them. The downside is, the lids on several don't screw on properly, and now I have even more spices. I think it's about time to redo my entire system, and this would be perfect.
    :o)

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

Bay leaves would go nicely in one of the tin hinged containers, and this site has very pretty cobalt glass containers that I need to invent a reason to buy.

• histokitch
    13 years ago

Mine are from Specialty Bottle. I have labels on the side, and they are arranged alphabetically. I am the only cook in our kitchen, so I know where they all are. I have another drawer for weirdly-shaped stuff. Do not wash them in the dishwasher. My husband slipped one in and the plastic clouds up/glue releases. Grr. I wonder if squared-off ones are harder to get out of the drawer. The round ones leave finger room, but waste a little spice space.

• michiganrachel
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for your replies. Histokitch - good point about being able to reach in and take them out. Maybe I should go round.

Nancy - do you have any problems getting your square containers out?

Beagles - this spice containers are very cute, Not my style, but they look like theybwill fit perfectly in your planned kitchen!

Histokitch - I don't know how I've never seen your beautiful kitchen! I love the shelf with the mortar and pestles behind yourncooktop, I love your backsplash, and your open storage looks like it's from a magazine!

Thanks again everyone!

Rachel

• nancyaustin
    13 years ago

Rachel, I've had no problems picking up the square tins from the drawer. The corners are rounded to give some space to pick up each one, plus in my drawer there is a little room between each tin. Easy to pick up but the square shape gives maximum use of space. I recommend putting the label on the top of each tin so the tins are identified without having to pick them up. Histokitch is right that hand-washing and allowing plenty of time to dry is the way to go. Nancy

• lascatx
    13 years ago

I did a spice drawer with jars from Specialty Bottle. The photo has been linked several times here. I think I would have done the square tins myself if I had been able to fit as many in my drawer. If you put them in a drawer, I would put the labels on top -- unless you alphabetize and know your collection well enough to not have to guess. If you put them on a vertical surface with magnets, then labeling them on the side is probably fine -- and looks nicer when they are more of a display.

Something I learned by doing -- we had a Dymo label maker and used it when we set up everything. Over time, those labels faded and a few curled on the edges. I recently got a Brother label maker that makes laminated labels on a clear tape after reading something on the Organizing thread. It's too early to say that they will definitely last longer, but I am pretty sure they will. You might want to try that from the start.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

I asked someone at Specialty Bottle about washing tins because we were packaging specially printed M&Ms in them for a promo. They said not to, but I think they told me that the tins could rust. I can definitely see the plastic lids fogging.

Histokitch, I love your irregular arrangement of tins!

• detroit_burb
    13 years ago

Hi, I was searching for info on Blum spice drawer insert, though this is not what I was looking for, we're both in this Michigan deepfreeze so I thought I'd help out...

I looked up the website and the tins look like a cool design, but ask the company what they are made of.

Traditional Indian Masala Dabba, or spice box, is made of stainless steel and has tins with snug lids that are all nested in a larger tin with a snug lid. These protect the spices from humidity. One of my collegues brought her spice box from India when she came to the US. She taught me how to make curry, so I learned about this.

If the tins you are looking at are aluminum, they may be reactive with the oils in the spices, the spices may change the color of the aluminum, or worse, the aluminum may leach into the spices. In general, you should avoid aluminum for food prep because of this.

So, have you finished your kitchen yet? The prelim pics looked fab and I'd love to see it.

• asmeaziz
    7 years ago

• asmeaziz
    7 years ago

These draws are so good to keep spice handy next to stove.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner