Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjr5232_gw

before and after soft white kitchen (also in Gallery) in Gallerie

sjr5232
12 years ago

Hi,

We just finished a kitchen remodel and I decided to share some pictures. I used this website all the time to help make decisions, and I thought I would post pictures on the off chance they will help someone else.

Cabinets - custom made and painted Benjamin Moore Marscapone (in entry they are a cherry stain).

Backsplash is Minton Hollins Gloss Biscuit 3x6 from Best Tile.

Walls - Benjamin Moore Yarmouth Blue

Granite - Leathered/Antiqued Jet Mist

Refrigerator/Freezer - Electrolux

Lights in entry, over sink and over island are Rondo Maxim from Bowery LIghting. I would NOT recommend Bowery Lighting.

Pulls/knobs in entry from Ikea

Pulls/knobs from My Knobs - don't remember the name. I can figure it out if anyone wants to know. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND using MYKNOBS.com

Sinks - Ticor 16 guage stainless steel kitchen and bar sinks from Overstock

Counterstools from Target

Ovens & Cooktop - Thermador

Faucets - Moen Brantford Collection from Faucetsdirect.com

Let me know if there are any other questions I can answer. Good luck to everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Remodeled Kitchen

Comments (33)

• aprilmack
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi,

Can you please share your flooring selection? Thanks.

• sjr5232
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,
    I believe it is white oak. It is the same as what was already in the rest of our first floor. I love it in the kitchen.

• minty19
    12 years ago

So beautiful. The blue is very pretty. Is that a tv in the corner cabinet? cool idea...

• dilly_ny
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I love your countertop and stools. Are the stools comfortable?

• cluelessincolorado
    12 years ago

This is so pretty! Sorry can't think of a better adjective right now, but REALLY nice. All that prep space!!!

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

So beautiful! Well done and congratulations on finishing!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

From a white kitchen to a knockout white kitchen! Your old kitchen had decent space but your new kitchen has everything! I am not usually a fan of corner cabs, but the tv in that spot is nice and the cab above looks pretty with it. I bet you are loving your fridge and freezer set as much as we love ours. Once you have it, you can't go back....
    Your kitchen is so pretty and spacious. I wish you many happy meals in it ;)

• MichelleDT
    12 years ago

Very, very nice. Love the treatment to the granite! That fridge/freezer is HUGE!

Enjoy!

• murpharoo
    12 years ago

so so so beautiful!!! very similar to what I plan to do. the only thing my husband is dead set on is the electrolux icon 64" full fridge/freezer! how do you like it??

• motherof3sons
    12 years ago

Beautiful in so many ways! I love the natural elements of the counter and barstools, but yet there is bling in the lighting. Very nice....!

• Linda
    12 years ago

Thatis just lovely!

• clarygrace
    12 years ago

Very nicely done! How do you like the Electrolux appliances? We are planning on Icon Professional ovens and fridge.

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

Very nice!! So pretty! I like your entryway cabinets, I'm thinking of doing something similar.

• mrshanson1
    12 years ago

Very nice. What a difference. I like your choice of countertops because it gives the room character. It lets the lighting be sparkly and doesn't compete for attention. (I chose the same lighting fixture-package for my DR and sconces too!). Great overall design.

Thanks for sharing

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

Question: Did you use the same size faucet for both sinks? How are you liking the Moen Bradford?

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

Loved that you included the before and after. What a difference!!! Looks like you took out the slider maybe? Major wow factor. Congratulations.

I especially loved the leathered granite. Gave the room the contrast it needed w/o being overbearingly shiny.

• yankeejay
    12 years ago

What a beautiful transformation. When looking at your kitchen, the feeling I get is that it says "come in...sit down and stay awhile". Congratulations on creating a space that looks so warm and welcoming!

• sjr5232
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,
    Thank you all so much for your kind words. I love my kitchen and it's nice to hear that other people like it too. I will try to answer all of your questions.

It is a t.v. in the corner cabinet. I really wanted one in the kitchen so I could watch the news occasionally while I cook. It has worked out really well there because I can watch it if I am at the stove, the big sink or sitting at the island.

The stools are very comfortable. I was a bit nervous because I ordered them online without being able to sit in one, but they have worked out really well. Once I sat in them, I was happy with how they felt on my back and legs, but the surface was a bit scratchy (wouldn't want to sit on one with a silk shirt or a bathing suit). However, that has improved with use over just a couple of months. They don't feel scratchy to me at all now.

I love the Electrolux Fridge/Freezer. We have four kids and I could never buy everything I wanted at the grocery store in one trip because I did not have enough fridge and freezer space. Now I can stock up whenever there is a good sale! The only thing that initially bothered me is that there is no water dispenser in the fridge, but the freezer does make ice. If you are considering the Electrolux Icon, you should be aware when planning your kitchen that there are two different options that come with the trim kit (the grill options are different on each). I did not know this and so did not talk to my cabinet maker about which option I wanted. As it turns out, I love what he did (the grill is on the bottom of mine with just a small trim at the sides and top). Also - we have had a problem with the doors in that the installer has had trouble straightening them. So, for a while the space at the top was much wider than the space between them at the bottom. However, I do not know if this is an installation problem or a problem with the unit itself. Even so, I truly feel that I could not have done any better considering that I paid only $3500 for both! I looked at the higher end fridge/freezers that would give me the space I needed and they were all at least $8000! You should also know that Electrolux often offers rebates. We bought ours during one such promotion and saved $500. One last note - for those of you considering the Frigidaire all freezer/all fridge (which are the same idea and size, but a little bit less expensive), I almost bought those having just seen them online. Fortunately I drove a good distance to look at one in person and realized that the "stainless steel" has that shinier finish that does not look like most other stainless steel appliances.

I love the Moen Brantford faucets. The pulldowns on both work very well. They are not the same size. We got the kitchen sink size for the big sink and the bar faucet for the island. The smaller faucet at the big sink (under the windows) is actually an inexpensive GE cold water filtered faucet. We have very bad drinking water and so I wanted something to filter water because the fridge does not have water. I got it at Home Depot for only about $100.00, which includes the faucet and two filters for under the counter. I think the Moen Brantford has a similar style as the filtered water faucet, which I like. Also - I deliberated for a long time about whether to get polished nickel, stainless steel or chrome faucets. I finally decided on chrome, even though my appliances are stainless steel and my pulls are polished nickel. I did this because I wanted a filtered water faucet without having to spend a fortune and get a system from Moen or some other big name. Also, I feel as though Chrome doesn't show water spots quite as much. Overall, I am happy with my decision because I feel it all blends together, and the rims of the knobs on the stove, and the ends of the handles of the ovens are polished, which pulls in the polished nickel knobs and pulls and the chrome faucets. Some people might think I am crazy! One other note about the faucets - the big one has a button that you can push and it turns to spray. You don't have to keep holding the button. The island faucet has a button to turn it into a spray, but you have to hold the button down or it turns back to a stream. I am fine with that, but if that matters to you, it is something to be aware of.

As some of you saw, we did actually enlarge the room. We pushed the front out a few feet. So, the area where the bench/drawers/hooks are, used to be outside the kitchen windows above the sink. In the back we removed the slider and pushed out about eight feet. The area with the cathedral ceiling (and skylight) is new space.

I am very happy with my countertop - I think it is beautiful! However, the sealer they first put on did not work well (it was cloudy around the edges and looked like I never cleaned). I was persistent and they finally tried a different sealant and it solved the problem - thank goodness!

I was concerned that having the black counters with the blue walls would make the room to "cool" so I really wanted to warm it up, which is why I went with the counter stools I chose. I also thought the entry area bench and bookcases should be a warmer color (also because the soft white would have been destroyed in that area with four kids and a puppy!). I was stressed thinking that the blacks/blues would not work well with the browns of the other things, but I think it all works well together. They are all natural materials and combinations of colors you see outside all the time - so I am happy with my choices!

One last note - I went to a number of kitchen design businesses/stores and got quotes. The prices I was quoted for the cabinets were so outrageously high, unless I was willing to get the most basic, no moulding, no inserts, no extras, nothing cabinets, that I was really discouraged. Fortunately, I was told about this custom cabinet maker in my area who did an amazing job and he was soooo much less expensive than the non-custom places! I was shocked! I never would have guessed that his beautiful work could be less expensive, but it was and he explained that he can charge less because there is no middle man. So - just keep that in mind. You never know!

Good luck to everyone and let me know if you have more questions!

• tea4all
    12 years ago

Oooh I'm glad you got that 'frig out of the corner. That's what I'm living with:( Everything is so elegant! Really lovely!! It must be a delight to work in. Enjoy!

• abfabamy
    12 years ago

So glad you got your link problem solved. I enjoyed your pictures so much, the countertop is gorgeous! Truly and beautiful space!

• murpharoo
    12 years ago

can you tell me the size of your island, overhang and aisles. i love your kitchen!

thanks for all the info on the electrolux icon! my husband is in LOVE with those and i am having so much angst over placement of appliances just because of them....

• sjr5232
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,
    My island is 8 feet, 8.5 inches by 39.25 inches. The overhand on the long side (where I have the chairs with backs) is 13 inches. They told me I would need supports if it was 14 inches, but wouldn't need them if it was 12 inches. I have long legs, so I wanted as much leg room as possible, but also wanted to fit four chairs on that side because we are a family of six. I asked if we would need support for 13 inches and they said, "that should be o.k without supports". . . Let's hope they are right! It feels completely solid and I think it's the perfect amount of leg room. On the ends, I wanted to be able to squeeze in two more narrow saddle stools (I think that's what they are called) but didn't want to take up too much space, so the overhang on the ends is 10 inches. The aisle between the stove and the island is 41 inches, 37.25 inches between the big sink and the island, 51.75 inches between the fridge and the island (44.5 inches between the fridge and the back of the chairs when they are pushed in), and 41 inches between the corner of the island and the bookcase. In my opinion, there is plenty of room everywhere. I hope that helps!

• scrappy25
    12 years ago

Lovely kitchen! My first question is to ask what king of entry doors you chose .to replace the sliders?

• dominos
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I love MANY of your choices - the granite, corner TV (i'm planning one too), skylight above the sink (I want that). Love that you can fit your whole family around the island! Really appreciate you coming back to share - congrats!

• sjr5232
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you!

Instead of the sliders out to the back yard, we now have the door to the left of the refrigerator (next to the microwave).
    The back eight feet of the kitchen (with the cathedral ceiling) is new space. We also have the same kind of door, which the contractor
    referred to as "full light" next to the bench/entry area. That door opens to a small covered porch next to our driveway. The solid door
    next to the brown square mirror leads directly into the garage.

I don't know what brand the doors are, as our contractor ordered them. I just asked that they be full glass/light so we could get as much
    sunlight as possible into the kitchen.

Good luck with your project!

• sjr5232
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you!

Instead of the sliders out to the back yard, we now have the door to the left of the refrigerator (next to the microwave).
    The back eight feet of the kitchen (with the cathedral ceiling) is new space. We also have the same kind of door, which the contractor
    referred to as "full light" next to the bench/entry area. That door opens to a small covered porch next to our driveway. The solid door
    next to the brown square mirror leads directly into the garage.

I don't know what brand the doors are, as our contractor ordered them. I just asked that they be full glass/light so we could get as much
    sunlight as possible into the kitchen.

Good luck with your project!

• User
    12 years ago

Just beautiful ! I love the countertops with the blue. The skylight is just splendid in your space. And the beautiful bookcases...well it is all so pretty. You did a great job. Your cab guy is very very talented . That huge island must be so nice with a large family. I hope you will post Kitchen in Action pics now that you have such a perfect space. c

• User
    12 years ago

Just beautiful ! I love the countertops with the blue. The skylight is just splendid in your space. And the beautiful bookcases...well it is all so pretty. You did a great job. Your cab guy is very very talented . That huge island must be so nice with a large family. I hope you will post Kitchen in Action pics now that you have such a perfect space. c

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

Wow! GREAT transformation, well done. You have to look back at the old pics and smile :) I can't add anything others haven't already...I like the jet mist in your space, looks really neat, the blue with the white cabs and I too like the skylight. Enjoy!

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

Wow! GREAT transformation, well done. You have to look back at the old pics and smile :) I can't add anything others haven't already...I like the jet mist in your space, looks really neat, the blue with the white cabs and I too like the skylight. Enjoy!

• taggie
    12 years ago

I totally love what you've done. Looks so functional and fabulous - you must be so happy. The built-in micro placement with the dounterheight enclosure and drawers is such a wonderful idea. Love the feet at the cooktop, and so many more of your details that give it such a polished look. And that organizer at your door is the bomb! Great job.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I really love it! I have 4 kids and am considering a similar scheme, so it's great to see how beautiful your kitchen is. Is it holding up well so far?

Sneaking the two smaller stools in is something I was considering, so it's nice to see yours.

Your granite is just beautiful! I'll be going on another granite search this weekend and I hope to finally find some jet mist. It's on my short list but nobody around here seems to have it right now.

Are your rugs Dash and Albert? They look like the one I'm considering for under my dining room table, so if they are D&A Gunnison, I'd love to hear how you like them.

Congrats on a great job, and thanks for posting!

• sjr5232
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again for all of your compliments! It really is nice to hear!
    The kitchen is holding up very well. I think a lot of it has to do with the beautiful finish on the cabinets. The cabinet maker "baked" on the paint, I believe. Whatever he did, "it's like butter!" So, when I see a spot, I can easily wipe it off.

I love having all six stools, and would recommend getting as many as you can around your island. Everyone hangs out in the kitchen.

The rugs are dash and albert and I do like them. However, even with a rug pad, they move around some. It's not a big deal, but be aware of that if you are considering buying them. Also, mine look pretty dirty right now. My understanding is that I can take them outside and hose/scrub them down and they will be as good as new. I haven't done that yet, but plan to very soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks again!