Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateshome_gw

No window over sink

kateshome
10 years ago

We are beginning to plan our kitchen renovation. There is no window over the sink and I'm looking for suggestions as to how to handle this situation.

Comments (26)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

We have two sinks w/ no window over either. Is your sink on a wall w/ no window or on an island?

Here is what we did w/ ours against the wall:

From further away:

• kateshome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

beaglesdoitbetter- You have a beautiful kitchen! Our sink will be on a wall. I love what you did with the plate rack and making the cupboard over the sink a different color. We will probably have white/cream cabinets but have thought about making the beverage center wood toned, so that might be a good idea for us as well to have a different cabinet color for the one over the sink.Is your sink marble?

• uponthehilltop
    10 years ago

You have a lovely kitchen. This is a topic I have also struggled with. I think what you did was extremely clever!
    Do you mind sharing your kitchen dimensions and your island dimensions? You have inspired me! I have been so concerned about not having a window for my sink!
    Thanks for posting!!

• oldfixer
    10 years ago

Too neat. Where's all the 'stuff' that belongs in a kitchen?

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!!

• laughablemoments
    10 years ago

There are some nice options in this older thread on a similar topic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of sinks with no windows above

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

"Too neat. Where's all the 'stuff' that belongs in a kitchen?"

I appreciate a clutter-free kitchen where there is a place for all the "stuff" to be tucked out of sight! Gorgeous kitchen, beaglesdoitbetter!

• sena01
    10 years ago

I had 9 different kitchens and in all, except one, I had the sink against the wall with uppers over it. I probably got used to it, but uppers never trouble me.

What I have now is, ~ 13.5" deep uppers (not glass doors), at ~ 20" above the counter and my counters are only 60 cm deep which makes about 23.6".

But most of my kitchens were white/off-white colored. So it may be a good idea not to go with too dark colored uppers. Consider glass doors and have all or nearby uppers on that wall start about at least 20" above the counter, and I think having wide doors make a place roomy.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I didn't have the option to put my sink under a window, but honestly, I've never understood what the big deal was - I don't spend that much time at the sink during daylight hours (or anytime actually) anyway!

• arch123
    10 years ago

without a window putting a faucet on the wall rather then the counter would be easier - We just did that in a utility room and master bath and we love it - so much easier to clean around the sink.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

kateshome, yes our sink is marble. It was custom made from the same marble as the countertops.

uponthehilltop I don't have a copy of the floor plan with my (I'm in FL for the winter) so I don't know the room dimensions, but the sink wall is 120 inches; the stove wall is 180 inches, and the china cabinet wall (not pictured) is 180 inches. The island is 13 ft long and 48 inches wide. There are a lot more pictures, including some detailed ones of the island, on my blog.

OldFixer, I have no tolerance for clutter on counters. Every cabinet has built-ins for all the "stuff" including an appliance cabinet w/ a mixer, coffee maker, toaster, etc. all inside.

• DaisyTN
    10 years ago

My sink is not under a window. We considered having the plumbing moved but decided that a sink under the window was quite low on the list of priorities and it's money I'd rather put into the cabinet budget. Beaglesdoitbetter: Your kitchen is lovely and your layout above the sink makes for great inspiration.

• DaisyTN
    10 years ago

I just did a quick search on houzz and came across this picture. I like the use of a glass inset cabinet directly above the sink as a focal point.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Glass inset cabinet above sink[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-kitchen-remodel-transitional-kitchen-philadelphia-phvw-vp~645937)

• chesters_house_gw
    10 years ago

My recently more or less done kitchen has a sink on the wall, since it was the most sensible place to put it given the number of long windows in the room. Here's a link to a set of pictures of sinks on walls, various styles.

Here is a link that might be useful: sinks on walls

• oldfixer
    10 years ago

beagles: you would have a heart attack visiting the "clutterbug". While your kitchen is very nice, it doesn't look lived in .... like the place is up for sale. Just an opinion of an environment that's way to sterile for me.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

To each their own OldFixer :)
    Maybe the kitchen would look more "lived in" if you saw the dog scratches all over the floors, LOL.
    It's also important to note that I do not ever cook, so the kitchen is only used to reheat or if our housekeeper cooks there (she mostly cooks at her house and brings the stuff over). When I'm in the kitchen, I'm on the couch or one of the armchairs in the breakfast nook.

• kateshome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to all for the great ideas!

• oldfixer
    10 years ago

If you have that luxury, so be it. My kitchen is a workhorse, not a glamorous vacant investment to impress my friends. Put a microwave in a closet to accomodate the housekeeper reheating meals. Yum Yum. I would be in there helping, not sitting on a couch. As you say, to each their own. (Why would there be dog scratches, you're not in there, and there is no food to beg for.) This could get complicated, so I'm outa here.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

Wow. OK.
    I like my kitchen, it's not to impress friends, it is for us to enjoy (and we do enjoy it). I just don't cook, doesn't mean I can't enjoy having a nice space. And I don't like to cook, that's why I don't do it.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Never mind those comments beagles. Your kitchen is beautiful and an inspiration. I am sure you and your family enjoy it very much.

Can you please let us know what lights you used to light the cabinets on either side of the over the sink plate cabinet. They almost look like there are real windows behind the glass cabinets. I realize it is just nicely lit though.

Carol

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

Thanks OntarioMom

We used Seagull LED lighting. I believe this was the specific type used, but our electrician installed so I don't know too much more about it other than the brand and style.

The lights turn on every day on a timer, we've been there for 2 years and have had no problems with them and have not had to change any bulbs or anything (unlike w/ some in-cabinet puck lights that seem to go out constantly, making me wish I'd just done the LEDs in every cabinet).

• larecoltante Z6b NoVa
    10 years ago

I love having my sink under a window, but I bet I wouldn't miss it too much if I had those lovely cups to look at! Beautiful kitchen, beagles, and lovely dishes, too!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Beagles- Your kitchen is beautiful! I always say it looks like Cinderella's kitchen...after she married the prince and moved into the castle :)

The wonderful thing about GW is that we all have different tastes, needs, likes, etc. Despite that, we do a truly amazing job helping each other through the process.

Fixer- My kitchen sounds a lot more like yours! Ideally I'm trying to find a place to put some of my clutter, but I like my vintage kitchen stuff and will probably always want a little out on display...and to use! LOL

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Great info on the Seagull LED lights, beagles. We had planned on puck lighting in a few spots, so maybe we will re-think that if the puck lights burn out constantly.

Carol

• caitlinmagner
    10 years ago

Beagles your kitchen is gorgeous! And even if I didn't like to cook, I'd still want a beautiful kitchen. It is, as they say, the heart of the home.

In my old kitchen the sink was under a large greenhouse window. Loved it. Then the reno started and the window was removed so for a long time I did dishes facing a plywood wall. Horrible! But I got used to it.

• arch123
    10 years ago

Watched Downtown Abbey last night and saw where they have a sink without a window above.

Here is a link that might be useful: downtown abbey no window over sink