Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
straycat2010

Opinions on this kitchen look please... :-)

straycat2010
15 years ago

I think I've found what I want for my open concept kitchen/living/dining area; in terms of style/color flooring, cabinets and backsplash.

I LOVE it! I know dark floors are not ideal with two cats and an 11 year old in the house, but I'm willing to swiffer myself to death for this floor...

Any thoughts or advice? Also, I don't quite like the counters in this one (from what I can tell they're white and no thank you!), so what colors/tones of countertops would you suggest for this kitchen?

Here is a link that might be useful: Walnut Kitchen

Comments (20)

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Weird - I see the details but no actual picture.

One word of caution: I would NOT go with this product (you say you're inspired by the look but just in case...). Hubby and I brought home some samples of it and it dinged and scratched if you just looked at it cross-wise.

• straycat2010
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi pbrisjar, thanks for your comment. :-)

That's odd; I verified before posting that the link was good. But I see what you mean...it does go to the right page but the image itself does not show.

When you say you would not go with this product, do you mean the product from this specific company (Thomasville) or just walnut in general? In my case, I have to go with the company that my builder deals with but what I meant is that this is the exact look I want (color of cabinets, backsplash and floors). I like the warmness of the floor in this pic. If I can get that warmness/color from a wood other than walnut, that works for me. I love how, in the pic, the dark brown of the floor and the "honey" color of the cabinets make everything so warm and inviting.

Any suggestions on how to make my link work?

• momof3kids_pa
    15 years ago

It seems you have to download something to view the pics... here was a thumbnail of it...

{{!gwi}}

• straycat2010
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks momof3kids! I was never able to save a thumbnail of this pic on my computer! This is it...a bit hard to see but that's the one.

• momof3kids_pa
    15 years ago

yes, I'm sure there must be more pics and larger pics, but you have to download something, which I don't want to do.

If you want the pic you just right click on it, then choose "save picture as" and it will save to your computer. but it's still only a thumbnail size.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I was able to view it with IE without downloading anything (wouldn't work with Firefox). I saved a screen print for you:

{{!gwi}}

HTH,

Erika

• caligal
    15 years ago

straycat, it is really pretty, but my mom has that exact same color and she has to vacuum or sweep every single day. it shows everything! She has 2 cats and a crumb-dropping-husband.

When she comes to my house, she always comments on how she should have gone lighter, like my floors.

If you can maintain it, go for it!

• shelly_k
    15 years ago

My sis has walnut floors exactly those color and she hates them! I think they are beautiful -- when they are clean, but that realistically is never! Honestly, my sis is sweeping and swiffering several times a day and it always looks dirty.

Just my two cents.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

I meant the product (Thomasville).

I like the look. LOVE those green stools. Totally not for my space but they are a great punch of fun for the room.

We're doing something similar - medium-light cabinets with a dark hardwood floor. Honestly, I wanted dark cabinets and a mid-tone floor but I lost the cabinet battle with Hubby and now it's too late to change things this time around. I do believe if we ever have a next time I've convinced him that it's a better look.

Keep in mind, though, that I'm one of those that likes lots of details and contrast and color.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Those floors would be my top choice, IF I didn't have the experience I now do with Brazilian Cherry, which is a bit lighter and still a royal pain. It NEVER looks completely clean.

You don't like the white counter. Do you not like that it's white-white, or that it's light? I think the counter choice will depend a lot on the backpslash and pulling out a color from that. You could also go dark like the floors for a sharp look.

• kompy
    15 years ago

I don't know anyone with dark wood or laminate flooring that hasn't told me they hate them and/or regret going so dark. My sister has to sweep at least 2 times a day...and still, they never look that great...you always will miss a bit of dust or crumb and they really pop out at you.

I think you should rethink. The dark flooring trend (as beautiful as they are) I'm sure, will be a short lived trend. The word is getting out.

• straycat2010
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You ladies rock! Thanks so much for the advice. I'm actually thinking I should rethink my choices here. What about the colors inversed? Honey floors with walnut cabs???

erikanh....YOU ARE A GENIUS (or I really suck with computers...which could also very well be the case!LOL)...thanks so much for this pic! I really LOVE LOVE LOVE this color scheme...but I might regret it when I come home after a crazy day of teaching and have to swiffer until bedtime! I also have small OCD tendencies...no kidding...when I clean something....it has to be perfect before I stop! LOL Yeah....something to consider!

THANKS again! :-))

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Honey floors and walnut cabs would be much better, as far as the floor cleanliness issue. But a different look...Will you like it?

• straycat2010
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rhome410, that's a pertinent question. I think I would like it because initially, I had intended to go with dark cabs on light floors. But then I came across this pic and fell in love...LOL

But you're right, it would be a different look. I really want the look from the pic above. I was reading somewhere that if the floor finish is more of a matte finish, then it's not really so bad. It's definitely something I will have to research more and possibly go have a look at some samples of different woods and stains at the design centre.

Decisions decisions! LOL

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Yanno, I was just thinking about this dark floor issue and remembering that we had a very dark wood-look linoleum in our kitchen when I was a kid. There were 4 kids, mom, dad and a cockapoo living there (along with the occasional gerbil, cockatiel, finch, etc.) and I never remember the floor looking bad.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Each person's idea of what is too much work will vary. I know that sounds obvious, but when I mentioned that I sweep/vacuum my hardwood floors everyday- some people have responded that they could never do that. Now, that's not too much for me, and our Tigerwood floors are probably the thing we love the most about our total house reno (so far anyways- haven't finished yet). For us, the Tigerwood gives the richness we wanted, but because of the variation in colour, crumbs, dust, smudges, etc are not so obvious. We have a satin finish, and in a year, I really have only washed my floors half a dozen times, and we ALWAYS get comments on how great they look.

Now, having said that, My parents lived on acreage with six kids, dogs (that weren't supposed to be in the house, but you know how that goes), and they had dark walnut coloured oak floors. I don't remember them appearing dirty, but oak has variation because of the grain that walnut doesn't have, and they were not a shiny finish.

• chinchette
    15 years ago

Its really true that the matt floor, at least mine, does not show much. However, that depends on what kind of natural light you have. My house is not that bright. In the morning, when the sun shines across the floor, I see dust and marks. At other times of the day, I don't. Keep in mind, my dark floor is NOT in my kitchen, which takes the most abuse. I do think it would bug me in the kitchen.

I agree that dark floors are a trend and go in and out of style. There was another post on here a few days ago about honey colored cabinets being "90's" and dated. This photo looks anything but dated.

• morton5
    15 years ago

I have the inverse, dark cabs and honey floors. The floors are stained Minwax golden oak, which brought out the grain beautifully. We are a family of 7 people, a large dog (okay, a poodle, so minimal shedding), and a cat, and these floors hide a multitude of sins, because of the graining and lighter color.

• sailormann
    15 years ago

I like the look of the dark floors in the original pic. Cleaning them will be an issue. If you do the lighter floors then I'd suggest going super light a - bleached oak or something (Limestone tiles perhaps ?) - and then doing the cabinets in either a dark brown stain or just about any paint colour that appeals to you.

• straycat2010
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again ladies for all the helpful comments! Morton5, your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous (I clicked on the pic and got to see your whole kitchen-what a treat-it's beautiful!!!)...that will be the look I will aim for if I decide not to go with the look in the pic in this thread. I am still hopeful though...lol