Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mfhoop

please show - L-shape + island

mfhoop
14 years ago

We're struggling with the layout of what will likely end up being an L-shaped kitchen with an island. The proposed space is 29'x11' (we're taking out a wall between current kitchen and dining rooms). We will likely put a banquette on one end. Anyone with L-shapes + an island so we can think about appliance configuration? Anyone else out there with similar crazy dimensions with a different perspective on how we could layout?

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• keptoz
    14 years ago

I'm doing an L shape with an island - but no pics yet as the room is down to the studs at the moment. My room is smaller than yours - 16x14. My layout is actually a backwards L. For appliances - the fridge is at the edge of the short part of the L, then sink in the corner with the dishwasher & range on the long part of the L. No apps in the island. Good luck!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Seating at the island? Traffic behind the island (e.g., Mudroom, garage, outside, laundry room, through-aisle b/w two sides of the house)? Cooktop/range in island?

Seating only...

25.5" cabinet run + 42" aisle + 40.5" island (w/seating) + 42" aisle = 150" = 12'6"

Even reducing the work aisle to 36" (which I do not recommend in general), that means 12'. [Or, reduce both aisles by 3" to 39" for both...but only if no through traffic on far side of island.]

Then, reduce the aisle behind the island, again, assuming no through-traffic, to 36", leaves you with 11'6". You really cannot go any narrower on the aisles, they're already too narrow as it is (especially on the seating side of the island.)

No seating is much better.

25.5" cabinet run + 42" aisle + 30" island (w/no seating) + 42" aisle = 139.5" = 11'7.5"...still too wide

But, reducing the work aisle to 36", which while I don't recommend it, works for some, give you 11'1.5"...pretty close to OK. I could live with a 40" aisle if there's no seating on the aisle. (Or you could reduce the island depth to 27" and then have 38" work aisle and 42" aisle behind the island for traffic.)

Cooktop/range in island, again, a problem:

Seating...

25.5" cabinet run + 42" aisle + 49.5" island (w/seating) + 42" aisle = 159" = 13'3"

No aisle reductions are going to help here. And, you really don't want the island any narrower b/c you need to protect those seated at the island from grease, smoke, steam, odors, etc. [49.5" island = 25.5" for cab/cooktop side + 24" overhang behind it for visitor safety]

No seating (18" overhang, although 24" is still preferable)

25.5" cabinet run + 42" aisle + 43.5" island (w/no seating) + 42" aisle = 153" = 12'9"

This is 3" more than the 12'6" above and reducing the aisles there wasn't much use.

+++++++++++++++++++++

My kitchen was 11'1" wide and I tried valiantly for an island, with or without an "L"...it just didn't work and GWers here finally convinced me of it after two long layout threads (yes, it took me that long to open my eyes and look at my kitchen objectively)! I am very grateful to them for that!

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

We will end up with an L and two islands. Our entire space is 11'5" x ~26'. This is where we are now, so no island yet, and the stove, sink and fridge will all be about 1' to the left of where they are now. There will also be a prep sink in the island, about across from where the DW is now.

Here is the layout (still tweaking but mostly as it will be... rhome, if you see this, I am working on moving island #2 out more : )). The current plan is fridge is on far right, MW and wall oven stack next to it, range around the corner (will be ~5.5' from corner, not as shown), DW ~15" from range, sink next to DW (plan shows DW to left of sink, but that's too far from dish storage so we are moving it over to right of sink).
    {{!gwi}}

HTH!

• kristine_2009
    14 years ago

Mine is just getting installed now. It was designed with help from everyone on the forum. {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Unfortunately, Keptoz's kitchen is actually wider than yours by 3' Your kitchen doesn't happen to open out into another room so you can spill out into it and not be limited by 11', does it?

We do have a similarly sized kitchen to yours...we started out with 21'L x 11'1" W. Instead of an island, we did a modified galley...one side of the galley is actually a small "U". I struggled for a long time on the island issue b/c I really wanted an island. But in the end patient and persistent GWers finally convinced me 11' is just too narrow for a decent island + decent work space & aisles. I am so glad now that everyone stayed with me and showed me what was realistically possible and what was not...that is, if I wanted a functional kitchen and not just a show place (which I did...function, I have found, is very important to me. Form is as well, but function is #1).

In the end, we had to make our kitchen approx 6" narrower to allow for outside venting, so our kitchen is now 21' x 10'6".

This is what we did:

DR on the left, FR on the right, Foyer bottom right.

Jsweenc...your 11.5' kitchen opens into another room, for the most part....but....do you really have only a 30" aisle behind the island where the small run of cabinets is? Is that 6" overhang for seating? If you do want seating, then if you eliminate those cabinets, you could have the recommended 15" overhang b/c the wall is open and (1) passersby can just go around into the adjacent room and (2) stools can also go into the adjacent room. (I don't remember from your threads what the decision on seating was...you may very well not have seating at the island b/c the table is so close.)

Kristine_2009...Your kitchen is approx 15.5' square. Btw...you only have room for 3 stools at the island if they're placed the way the layout shows. The two in the corner are sharing the same leg space...that means only one of those stools can be used at at time.

Sorry, I guess I can't turn off the part of my brain that analyzes every kitchen I see!

Mfhoop...see my reply on your other DH's thread (ajhoop/Please Help! Another layout question...)

• positano
    14 years ago

I have an L with an island , similar dimensions to you. We also took out the wall between a small kitchen and dining room. I love, love, love my layout. Everything is just where it should be and the kitchen functions beautifully. I have a wall behind the seating in the island and plenty of walk room. I use the island as a landing for the french door fridge.

These are old pictures, but it gives you an idea.

From April 2009
    From April 2009
    From April 2009
    From April 2009
    From 2008-09 (Sep)

• positano
    14 years ago

Actually my kitchen is about 22'x 11', yours is longer than mine, which will be nice for a banquette.

I have 40 inches between the fridge wall and the island.The range sticks out a bit so we have 37 inches between that and island. And 50 between the sink and island. My trash is on the end of the island and pulls out toward the dishwasher. I really love it.

Dh is a chef and also loves the layout of the kitchen. The 37 inches at the range has never been a problem, still more than enough passway. The kids are always running around the island! I can get 5 kids around the island if I need to. It's small too, only 6 x 2.5 But I love every inch of it. We use it all the time.

Good luck with the planning.

• katieob
    14 years ago

Positano~ I've always loved your kitchen & love seeing photos of it.

Ours is an L with an island.

Kitchen is roughly 15 by 12. Island is 8 by 5 with a 20 inch overhang. DW drawers are next to the refrigerator and microwave drawer is in the island.

HTH

img{{gwi:1402447}}

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

Don't worry, buehl, we all appreciate that part of your brain! : )

Sorry, mfhoop, I did realize after posting that our situation may not be comparable for you, because we have no wall between kitchen and LR, so our 11' can be stretched a little. I do remember seeing your DH's original layout but don't think I've seen the latest.

buehl, just to answer your question, I am working on redrawing to give more room between islands, but that was the only current picture I had loaded. The 30" counter is to give more work space up top. We have to decide whether seating at the main island or storage in the second island is higher priority; I think the storage is winning. (My most recent thread)

• mfhoop
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. I didn't cross reference our other thread because I was hoping to get some fresh ideas from folks not constrained by what we're already considering. But maybe that creates confusion!! Buehl knows from looking at our other thread that we're considering the option of taking out the wall (or at least part of the current masonry/load-bearing wall) that would let us expand the 11' part (like pushing the far edge of the island flush with the widest part of the old room and still have room for seating/walking behind. If we didn't do that, then we might have to lose the island idea or make the space a U instead. So many decisions. How do people decide?? Other thread here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Other layout discussion

• jsweenc
    14 years ago

So many decisions. How do people decide??

I know exactly how you feel! I have thought so many times that we finally have it nailed down, but then I realize that one or more pieces have popped out of place while I was admiring another section.

I flipped through the other thread but there were so many different layouts it wasn't clear which way you are trying to place the L. I also won't pretend to know how to jump into that discussion. The best I can do is give you what I've got, as above, and you can take what you can from it and leave the rest.

• mfhoop
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jsweenc - re: the other thread, the last one posted by my DH (ajhoop) last night at 22:33 is the current stalking horse!

positano - love your layout (and your whole kitchen). You must have your sink on the short end of the L? Is it too far to go back and forth to your eating area with clean/dirty dishes?

• positano
    14 years ago

Katieob I've always loved your kitchen too! I look at your shiny pendants and wonder if I should have gone that route.

Thanks for the compliment mfhoop- We are working on a backsplash, then I can finally post some finished kitchen photos. I don't find the walk from the sink to the table too far at all, never even thought about it. We use the island so much to eat at also. Most nights it's just me and the kids so we sit there.

The sink is on the short side of the L, you can see it in the second picture.

• mfhoop
    Original Author
    14 years ago

any more pictures or layouts out there?

• warmfridge
    14 years ago

This is the layout of my existing kitchen, which is actually a corner of a ''great room.'' I've lived here long enough to realize that the layout works pretty well for me, so I'm keeping it in my new kitchen. The goal of my reno is higher countertops and more user friendly storage to accommodate a back injury. I'm also making all the perimeter cabinets 2'' deeper, and the island a little longer to accommodate a garbage pullout with a 12'' overhang for seating.