Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosoccermom

Digital printing on glass as backsplash

nosoccermom
10 years ago

I thought you might find this interesting. 50,000 possible 'prints' including one's own photos printed on tempered glass and with LED background.

They also make shower walls, instead of tile or glass separation.

One price I found is about 400.00 to 500.00 for a 7 feet long piece.

Here is a link that might be useful: printed glass

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 21:55

Comments (49)

• carree
    10 years ago

Very cool. I see enormous possibilities. Not sure a giant tomato is my cup of tea for backsplash but how fun.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Yeah, some of those giant fruits are a little Twilight Zone for me, but yes, the possibilities are wondrous. I do like the shower panel in the bathroom, that's really neat.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Interesting link. I'd be hesitant to commit to a kitchen backsplash but a shower would be fun.

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

Super cool! I'd get sick of it in the kitchen but I like it in the bathroom.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, there are literally dozens of companies that offer this. There are two ways of attaching, either with glue with screws, which opens the possibility of relatively easily changing the backsplash. It's really not that expensive, and you can order it online and get delivered in one piece (up to 7 feet). But probably not to the US :)
    Actually, it also comes in a solid color, so may replace backpainted glass.
    One more shower.

Here is a link that might be useful: More printed glass

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG, they are selling that stuff on German or UK Ebay, for about 200.00 for a 4 feet long piece (shipping is 10.00 within Europe). Because it can be attached with 3M mirror attachment tape or magnetic fasteners, "it can be easily removed when moving."
    Supposedly, it's 4 mm or 6mm safety glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: printed glass on Ebay

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I have to admit, I kind of like this one. Not sure what that says about me?

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

I can see the first (and best) application of these is for pretty modern images...big scale photographs. Pow factor!

But I also think it would be interesting to use this to image materials that could never, ever really be used in a shower or kitchen backsplash, maybe in smaller areas. For example, an antique English embroidered tapestry, for a traditional kitchen with a European flavor. Or, I can see an image of a Two Grey Hills Navajo rug, used as a focal point backsplash in a modern southwestern kitchen.

Pretty cool idea to be able to scrub down a Navajo rug with Windex!

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, yes!!!
    They are also offering wood, marble, slate, more organic textures.
    Those smaller panels behind the range/cook top are about 100.00 or lower, so not a big commitment.

{{!gwi}}

The longer backsplashes (splashback in the UK) are more complicated with cutouts for outlets, etc.

Still, great idea.

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

WHat timing! I was considering doing this for my kitchen backsplash. I happen to own a large format sign and graphics company and can do it myself. I was thijnking plain and neutral backsplash, which didnt seem like a custom glass backsplash was needed. Guess I'll wait for my cabinets and countertops to get installed and then decide...

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OOTM, you can print on glass?
    I've been furiously googling to try to find out who does this in the States for a not-obscene amount of money, how involved this process is (cut-outs etc. must be more complex), and whether I have a business model here.....

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

Yes, I can print directly on glass, or acrylic, almost anything. We can do the cutouts on most materials as well, but not the glass, we'd order the glass with the cutouts, then print on it. I'm not on the pricing end of the business, so I'd have to ask DH about that.

• bbtrix
    10 years ago

Wow! I was just lamenting that I took down my kitchen walls and had no where for kitchen art. Thank you for sharing! The possibilities really pique my interest. OOTM, what type of special equipment does it take to print on glass? Very interested in the process.

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

We have a flatbed press that uses UV curable inks. It can print onto rigid panels up to 48" x 96" and approximately 2" thick. It wasnt cheap!

• bbtrix
    10 years ago

Thanks. Have you already incorporated this into your business? Looks to be an opportunity with this medium once people are aware. I have a large format printer for architecturals and have long wanted to print my own tryptic but have never found the time. We're recently retired and i will do this before we sell the printer. Always looking to incorporate original art into my home. I hadn't decided on my backsplash yet and will consider how this type of glass backsplash may flexibly fit in. That is what excites me, the ability to inexpensively change and bring in my own creativity yet not make it permanent. I'm also waiting until cabinets and counters are installed to decide on backsplash.

Nosoccermom and OOTM, keep us posted on where you go with this.

• bpath
    10 years ago

For those of us "of a certain age", wouldn't you like to have coffee with Burt Reynolds grinning at you from the backsplash?

I was going to embed a picture, but it's a bit more revealing than I remember.

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

It's a little "70's" for me. But it could be good in the right application. Restaurant, fun beach house, night club?

• bpath
    10 years ago

How about in a basement? Or a window with a bad view?

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Or bathroom with no view?

What kind of printer do you need for that?

• User
    10 years ago

Do you have a printing business anywhere near? If they can print the "wraps" that go on cars and trucks and/or large signs they can probably print your glass.

• bpath
    10 years ago

I wonder how it would hold up to sunlight and uv if you used it in a window?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I could have sworn i posted about this but i don't see it.

I mentioned this company in a decor discussion on shower doors. Not just photos on glass, but every cool permutation of glass you can think of!

Fabric glass, Colored mirror glass, color tinted glass like this. They have done glass windows for Tiffany in Tiffany blue ...

Here is a link that might be useful: very cool glass styles

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Actually, if this is indicative, it looks a lot cheaper than tile!

Here is a link that might be useful: CA co. with price info

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, it should be cheaper than tile and, of course, also removable/ exchangeable. But then, backpainted glass shouldn't be as expensive as it is, either.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, on one of the web sites I read that it can be attached over existing tile. Looks like they did this on the first picture. Hm, even more possibilities.....

• User
    10 years ago

I think some of you are missing a key component here. It's not just printing on glass it's REVERSE printing on glass. Like the old Victorian reverse painted glass. You start with the details and highlights to the forefront, then work your way back through the midground, and then finally to the background. It ain't just throwing a sheet of glass into a printer. The image managemet has to be re-engineered completely for the cleanable wipable sanitizable glass to be the outside surface.

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

We reverse print on acrylic all the time. Sure its all in the file setup...but its not rocket sience.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right. Reverse printing has been used in commercial applications for a long time.
    One of the main problems I see is transportation. I don't know how they ship a large glass piece all over Europe for 14.00.

OOTM, do you think pretty much any glass printing place in a larger metro area should be able to do that?

Other uses are doors... including closet doors.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I live in the Seattle area and just searched my hometown, "digital printing glass" on google and got a local hit. See link. Maybe try your local area too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seattle local printing hit

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I finally found a glass supplier and a local printer. Now, the main problem seems to be to get accurate cutouts for outlets.
    I may try it for a little bar area first.

• OOTM_Mom
    10 years ago

Nosoccermom, I don't really know of any businesses that classify themselves as digital glass printers, the right kindof UV curable ink that will adhere to glass is what they need, and the printer must be able to print to rigid substrate, not roll media. Another option is to reverse print on clear vinyl, and then apply the vinyl to the second surface of the glass (back side, so still looking through the glass to see the image. Then you apply a white vinyl to the back of all that, because the ink is translucent and you need to make it opaque. This is a more flexible option, as more sign business would have the capability to print on clear vinyl. There are more steps though.

• collage5
    9 years ago

Hi, I love, love, love this idea for the backsplash in our upcoming kitchen facelift. I'm thinking something much more subtle as in a random pattern in softer colors but, who knows? Looks like others were able to find companies that make this product but I'm struggling. Can someone point me to a website? I happen to be in the San Francisco Bay Area and would love to find someone local so I could see/speak with someone in person but would be happy to start with any company. TIA

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There must be both a place for tempered glass and a digital printing shop in the SFO area. Alternatively, look for tempered glass online --- they'll ship. Then talk to a local print shop that can do digital printing on rigid surfaces.

I found this just by googling digital printing on glass san francisco, below

Here is a link that might be useful: SF glass printing

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 17:01

9 years ago

This is a very cool idea, but apart from finding someone to do the actual printing, I'm wondering about how to pick images. Would the printers have that available or have access to stock images that would turn out well? I'd hate to pick something that would wind up blurry or pixellated or whatever just because I don't know what I'm doing. We're renovating a basement bathroom, and a shower backdrop of grey-tone trees (birch trunks, black and white winter forest, or something along those lines) is very intriguing.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I think it's a love or hate thing.
    And definitely not for anyone who's thinking of resale.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I rate this kitchen

Seven cows out of seven.

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You can pick your own photos.

And, with respect to resale, you can go with a very subtle design. Moreover, at 300.00 for a backsplash, it's a lot cheaper to exchange.

• Parhelion
    9 years ago

"For those of us "of a certain age", wouldn't you like to have coffee with Burt Reynolds grinning at you from the backsplash?
    I was going to embed a picture, but it's a bit more revealing than I remember."

Coffee. Through. My. Nose.

Would be perfect with a white shag rug in the kitchen?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not Burt Reynolds, but I agree the possibilities are endless.

You could start with a refrigerator skin.

• raenjapan
    9 years ago

I'm loving this! Especially for the shower. Thanks for sharing!

• subash_1234
    9 years ago

Where can I get/buy this in USA?pls advice

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, find a local printing shop that can digitally print on glass. In my area, there are shops, and it's fairly straightforward and not so expensive (about 200.00 for about 6 feet back splash). They use this for printing commercial signs.Then, either order tempered glass online or talk to a commercial glass shop. They do that stuff for commercial uses. The main problem I see is for cutouts (sockets) to be very accurate.

• subash_1234
    9 years ago

Thanks you nosoccermom. tempered glass cant be cut.so I beleive we need to order glass with cutouts,then take it through tempering and then to the print shop.http://www.jbermanglass.com/glass/pdfs/Berman_Aura_SpecSheet.pdf
    I found this in internet.will give it a try

• nosoccermom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Right, but you may be able to buy glass, have them do the cutouts, and temper it. There may be local glass shops that will do all of the above.

Alternatively, if you can move your outlets under your cabinets or in your counters, then you could just order tempered glass online. Some will drill holes in the tempered glass. It also looks cleaner.

{{gwi:2138920}}

[Contemporary Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Tacoma General Contractors NW HomeWorks

That web site that you mentioned, what exactly do they do? It sounds like they'll temper and print, right? How much do they charge?

This post was edited by nosoccermom on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 14:49

• PRO
    Architect Mason Kirby Inc.
    8 years ago

Love this idea. What a wonderful way adding unique style to a home.

nosoccermom thanked Architect Mason Kirby Inc.
  • Mittens Cat
    3 years ago

Did anyone ever try this in real life? I'm mostly intrigued with the closet door idea.

• Thomas Beech
    last year

Reviving this from the dead I know !! I have found several websites that offer this but nothing in my local area. Any one have a reference for the central florida area?

• PRO
    custom-tiles.com
    last year

Bathroom or kitchen - custom glass tiles are cool, allowing your unique artwork or photo. We ship domestically and internationally.