Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy103d

Pull-out for coffee service -what is this called?

Cindy103d
10 years ago

I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction based on my vague description. This is an area where my planning didn't work out too well.

We're installing a 30" wide appliance garage that we want to use as a coffee center. The doors haven't been installed yet, but we are planning to have them open, then slide back into the sides of the cabinet.

Our old coffee maker is giving out and we want to get a bigger coffee maker, (this is the part where I didn't plan too well) but that means the new coffee pot lid is too tall to open to add the water while in the coffee center. So, my thought is to use a slide-out that the pot, would sit on. It would pull out to fill the coffee pot, then push back in. Could be pulled out to pour a cup of coffee or we could just pour from within the appliance garage. Think something along the lines of a pull-out chopping board but supported differently.

I have a spare shelf that came with the cabinets that I could use as a pull-out and I also have a shallow drawer that could be used. The part I cannot figure out is how to install the glides.

The garage sits on top of the granite countertop, so I can't attach the pull-out to glides on the bottom. Can't attach on the sides since the doors will be sliding back into the cabinet. Are there glides that could be attached at the back of the cabinet only? Any creative thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (23)

• laughablemoments
    10 years ago

Is this the type of pull-out you are trying to describe? I thought this breakfast center was a great idea. Unfortunately, I didn't record the GW member that it belongs to, but perhaps someone else will recognize their kitchen and can give you further assistance.

I just went back and read your post again. What about attaching small casters on the underside of your shallow drawer that could roll along the top of the granite? Might that work?

This post was edited by laughable on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 22:18

• Cindy103d
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Casters - that is a perfect idea!! Thank you. This is why I love GW. When I can't see the forest for the trees, other people immediately have clever ideas.

Edited: DH says casters won't work because they will make ruts in the granite. Back to the drawing board.

This post was edited by Cindy103d on Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 22:45

• smiling
    10 years ago

How about this pullout from Bed Bath and Beyond:

Here is a link that might be useful: appliance pull out

• smiling
    10 years ago

Here's a wooden one:

Here is a link that might be useful: wooden appliance pullout

• Cindy103d
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Smiling - I like that idea, but it would need to pull out over the edge of the counter so wouldn't work in this application. Whatever pulls out will need to be fastened to the back of the cabinet somehow.

Thank you for the ideas.

• smiling
    10 years ago

I see. Hmmmm, the granite fabricators glue granite to granite, granite to wood, and granite to steel or clay sinks, maybe they could "glue" or epoxy some undermount slides on to the granite inside the garage for you so you could use the extra cabinet shelf.

• Amy Sumner
    10 years ago

We are doing something similar for our appliance garage. My cabinetmaker put a board vertically on each side. The slide-back door nests between the wall of the cabinet and this secondary board. The slides for the shelf are mounted to the more interior piece of wood. Does that make sense? Makes your slide-out shelf a bit smaller, but probably more secure. I will have my Kitchenaid stand mixer and my food processor on my slide-out shelf. Sorry I don't have any pictures to share--installation is next week. ;)

• twosit
    10 years ago

I had the same problem. We ended up getting a coffee maker with a removable slide in reservoir and coffee. We don't even notice it any more.

Here is a link that might be useful: removable reservoir and side fill coffee

• westsider40
    10 years ago

I have a coffee center in my app garage with a lift up door.. I just pull the coffee maker out and make a pot. I don't want it enclosed when it is brewing. Then I push it back in, after I dump the grounds and rinse the filter thingie area. It is pushed back inside the garage. Just lift the carafe to pour a cup. But it is a plain cheap Mr. Coffee, and not a fancy brew station. But it fits, is short, brews pretty good. Coffee is important to me. But, yes, it is not pretty at all. No casters, nothing.

I would like a better looking coffee pot for my 2.5 yr. old kitchen. It does function well.

• jennybc
    10 years ago

Something to think about... Running the coffee pot while in the garage may create too much steam/heat for the cabinet. You may get condensation etc on the underside of the top... Maybe have it pulled out while brewing?
    Just a thought.
    Jen

• laughablemoments
    10 years ago

Here are a few aftermarket jobbies on Amazon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee tray sliders at Amazon.com

• Cindy103d
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you to everyone for the great ideas. Time to do some shopping now that I know what I'm looking for.

• cevamal
    10 years ago

Where is your coffee pot now?

I absolutely hate having to use the carafe, or a pitcher, or anything along those lines to fill it with water. I prefer having the coffee pot right next to the sink so I can use the pull out faucet.

Probably not a workable solution for you but I wanted to throw it out there. I just got my kitchen back to functional (not quite finished!) and am so happy to have it back next to the sink!

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Just be aware that any type of caster will raise the height of the platform and your coffee pot may no longer fit under the upper cabinet. If the casters are recessed into the platform like the wheel wells are into a pickup bed, then that affects the usable width of the platform. So measure very carefully.

Items that are used frequently, like the coffee pot are frequently best left out in plain sight. It IS a kitchen after all! :-)

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    10 years ago

Re the caster idea: is your granite really that soft, that casters would make "ruts" in it?? More likely that the casters would get worn through!

cheers

• sweet_tea_
    10 years ago

We are planning the same thing in our kitchen. We plan to have a recessed appliance garage for the coffee pot, with a door that will open and slide back into the wall. The glide rails will mount to the inside of the cabinet. The coffee pot will be on a glide out tray, for ease of access to fill the water and get a cup of coffee. I had Hamilton Beech brew station (carafe free) coffee pot for the past 11 years, it finally gave out, but plan to get another one. I think with this arrangement you could get a cup of coffee with out pulling the pot out. I'll try to attach pictures, I'm horrible at explaining this. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: example of doors

• sweet_tea_
    10 years ago

Sorry, I don't know how to post multiple linksâ¦

Here is a link that might be useful: glide out appliance garage

• sweet_tea_
    10 years ago

Last one, what I'm planning will be a combination of these three. From what you said, you're looking for something similar. Maybe some of this will help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee garage

• laughablemoments
    10 years ago

How far forward do you need to pull the coffee machine to make it usable?

If it's just a few inches, you might be able to attach self-sticking felt chair glides to the bottom of the coffee maker and slide it forward on those. They could go onto the bottom of a tray/drawer, too, if you don't want to stick them onto the unit itself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Felt chair glides at Home Depot

• Cindy103d
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sweet-tea, that us exactly what I'm looking for. The pictures gave me a good idea of how to do this.

Laughable, it need so pull out about 12-15".

Mtnfever, I will never convince DH of that!

• sweet_tea_
    10 years ago

Glad I could help. Post pics when your done!

• lcm_maine
    10 years ago

Apparently I am late to the party looking at all the great suggestions, but we just used a small plastic cutting board and set the coffee maker on it. It slides forward and backward easily on the granite, and and the board can be cleaned if it gets grimy.

• greenphoenix
    7 years ago

Cindy103d, what did you ever decide to do about the pullout shelf for your coffee garage? I also made a tactical error. 30" cabinet with a Blum lift system on the door. I designed it to sit on granite directly and just slide it out when I needed to put water in and/or use it. Additionally, it is to be used to hide toaster and Vitamix. When it arrived, there was a bottom and face frame. Now I need to punt. Installing a pullout shelf is the only way for it to be utilized the way I intended. How did you resolve your dillema and what did you end up purchasing?