Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

Show me your baseboards/furniture-style moldings

wi-sailorgirl
11 years ago

I'm to the point where I'm getting down to nitty gritty details and I'd love to see some close-ups of your baseboard molding and/or your furniture-style moldings around your cabinets. I'm not even sure what I really like and it's not easy to find pictures of such things in situ.

Thank you!

Comments (19)

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Here are some of mine:

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you LittleFishies! So I'm guessing that's a two part (or really three part) molding: a flat, rounded top main base piece, a little cove on top of it and then the bottom shoe molding type piece?

I really like it. I want simple but not overly simple and that's how I would describe what you have going on there. I also really like your rounded edge detail on your cabinets. I haven't seen that before (but maybe I've not been looking either). Plus I love any excuse to see your kitchen. When is that full reveal coming anyway? :)

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more question for you: On the second picture how far does the counter bump out right there? We're doing that with our hutch and I think I've settled on 2 inches but yours looks quite nice and like it might be less than that.

• willtv
    11 years ago

Here's mine.

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Willtv. Your refrigerator surround is one of the photos I showed the cabinetmaker because I like the thickness of the panel on the end of it.

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

Hi! Our backsplash is getting installed at end of the week or over the weekend then I'll work on reveal pics : )

Our bumpout at sink and cooktop is 2". I don't even know how to describe the molding.. lol It's just what they did. ha The radius corners is also something they regularly do unless the customer doesnt want it. I saw another kitchen they did and thought that looked nice so I told them to go ahead and do it : )

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info Fishies. Can't wait for the pictures! I forgot what you're going with for the backsplash so it will be a good surprise!

• quiltgirl
    11 years ago

This is not mine, but how I want mine to be. It is from a Christopher Peacock kitchen.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Love these pictures! :)
    Someday, I, too, will have molding & trim.

• willtv
    11 years ago

wi-sailorgirl, FYI, the fridge panel is made of 2 pieces.
    A main support panel which is 1 1/2" wide and then a 3/4" door panel
    which is applied to the support panel making the entire unit 2 1/4" wide.
    If you'd like a better picture, feel free to shoot me an email.

This post was edited by willtv on Wed, Jan 30, 13 at 12:51

• quiltgirl
    11 years ago

Oldbat2be, I have a nine foot counter now in my kitchen that has a furniture base. It has never been a problem for me. However, I will have some sort of toe kick on the island where I stand and prep and also in front of the sink. There will also be one under the fridge because it is a Liebherr and the ventilation is there. Does anyone else not have "toe kick" space?

• fav.auntx2
    11 years ago

My kitchen is nowhere near complete, so no pics, but I am planning very little toe kick space. It will be in front of the sink and island. I love the look of base molding. Especially in the kitchen.

I would guess you are correct in how 2LittleFishies base was constructed. play around with it and find the combination and look that you love!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

My island. The "working" side does not have molding over the toe kick. My toes DO use that space.

End of my peninsula

Beverage area in DR.

• tricia257
    11 years ago

Helpful question, sailor girl. I'm also at the bells n whitsles stage of the cabinet design. All these little touches make a big difference.

• Gooster
    11 years ago

I'm having the built-up ones done. It involves having the cabinets have a longer front piece (if that makes sense), by about an inch so the valance can attach at the bottom. a shoe moulding is then added to the top. I'm having each valance sized to the various runs of drawers and pullouts, which will still allow toes to "kick" under large spans but to get the effect of a furniture piece.

The other option was to have them either built integrated into the front piece of the cabinet or attach "underneath" the front lip.

• nini804
    11 years ago

Not sure if you can see...but under my cabs it is just plain toe-kick, well with a piece of quarter round. My KD said that feet look pretty but are a pain to mop/sweep around. I did feet in my master bath and can see what she means! Love the look, though!

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nini, what you've done on the end of your island is exactly what I want to do on our end panels and around our built-in hutch and then continue as baseboards around the room.

Great options being shown here.

• pirula
    11 years ago

Here's mine. I painted the backs black so they would "disappear."

Here is a link that might be useful: My kitchen