Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newchapter12

Love my granite, not my cabinets....

newchapter
13 years ago

I had my delicatus granite installed today and I love it. Only problem is, it does not go with my new cabinets. I picked the granite slabs with my door sample and it looked great. The cabinets came in last week and the color is just different enough to make a difference. At least to me. The cabinets were supposed to be a not quite dark cherry/espresso. The cabinets came in a little lighter but it was not that noticeable until the granite was installed. I know there can be variations in color but it is really bothering me.

Any suggestions as to how to make it work? I dont have my backsplash picked yet so I know that can change things color wise. Would love some help. Im going to try and post a picture.

Comments (33)

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Are the cabinets actually made of cherry? If so, they'll likely darken on their own---the door sample might have been floating around for a while and already darkened. We had similar problems with our flooring (totally different material, but also changes color with time)--looked off with the cabinet color when they first arrived, but since then the floor has mellowed to match the sample tile we'd been toting around.

If the cabinet color is solely from the stain and they're another wood, that's probably another story, though...someone might have some advice!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I was going to say the same as artemis. I'd speak to the cabinet place either way.

Any chance you can post pix?

• xc60
    13 years ago

Oh no! I hope as the others posted it will darken in time. We too, have dark espresso cabinets and Delicatus granite going in our new build and are now in the process of picking all the tile including backsplash. Please post photos and we will try to help you out. :)

• newchapter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The cabinets are actually maple. The door sample was made at the factory and sent to us for approval. Im really upset.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

photos?

• newchapter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

here are some photos....the cabinet door resting on the other cabinets is the color it was supposed to be.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

• Suzy
    13 years ago

i think it looks great!

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

i can't tell the sample is darker from the photos. is the sample maple too? if there's that much of a difference and you are that unhappy you should discuss with cabinet maker.

if it helps at all, i think what you have looks great!

• doggonegardener
    13 years ago

I love it. I think you're the only one that notices. Not that that's not important but....

Put the other door away and live with it for a bit and I'm sure you'll come around. It's really splitting hairs.

It's a lovely combination.

• annettacm
    13 years ago

I do see that the door is darker. However, I think part of remodeling is to let the reality (as long as it's not terribly off) slowly replace the vision you had in your mind. Meaning, picking anything off of samples is a risk and a leap of faith. Time and light may darken the cabinets, and more importantly, your eye will adjust to the "change" between the sample and the reality.

The sample is darker. It might be more what you preferred. But the cabinets and the granite is beautiful, and I don't think over time you will care. The only thing you can do is show your cabinet place the difference and see what they say. Do what you can do, and if nothing can be done, decide to see the good in your overall design. It is beautiful.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

I too can see that the sample is darker, but like everyone else I think your kitchen is beautiful! Really, I think you will grow to love your kitchen just as it is. doggone has a good idea to put the sample away; I think that will help you focus more on how lovely everything is. I would also be disappointed that the cabinets are different than the sample... but PLEASE don't be disappointed in the actual result! It's beautiful!

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

your granite is simply gorgeous! Great selection!

Even though I can tell the sample is darker, I think it looks fabulous next to your actual cabinets. I wouldn't worry about the difference between the sample and the real thing if I were you. I think the cabinets may very well darker with time. I would say something to the cabinet maker just so they're aware of your concerns...but I wouldn't rip them out and start over or anything. If I were, that is.

Good luck!

• calimama
    13 years ago

I think they are beautiful! Sometimes samples that are on display are deceiving because they have darkened over time. Your cabinets will likely also darken, (most real wood does) and the color will deepen, even with a dark stain like yours, depending on light and other conditions. Next time you are store with a cabinet display, like Home Depot, look inside the cabinets; the amount of light they get in there is significant because of the skylights, and you can really see a lighter ring around the stiles of the doors.

• Linda Gomez
    13 years ago

Didn't you notice the color difference after the cabinets were installed before the granite went in? Call the cabinet people.

I think it has to do more with the gray walls than the cabinet color. You haven't bought your backsplash yet so you can change their tone together. You have 2 differnt backsplash samples up--one gray and the other various tans. Don't use the gray one. It's too much like the color of the walls. IMHO. Get some other color samples up there and you'll find the harmony you are looking for.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

THAT granite is stunning! Really the centerpiece of your kitchen.

I agree the sample is darker and I can see what you design statement was going to be. The actual doors are a little lighter or at least have some light showing through.

I think your granite will overshadow any cabinet you put in. Once you complete the kitchen, you will not notice the slight difference in shade from the sample. It all looks gorgeous!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Newchapter, I'm so sorry you're unhappy with your cabs. I do see a difference in the finishes. Unfortunately, I have no advice to give you other than to talk to the cab company and let them know you're unhappy. Not that it matters, but I think your cabs & granite are lovely as is. I think it makes sense to put the sample door away and live with your cabs and see if you like them better.

• lucypwd
    13 years ago

Your granite is DELICIOUS!! I love it. I see what you mean, if the cabinet door is the correct color, it is darker than your cabinets. However, both are nice. Once you remove the darker door you will adjust to the lighter door and probably never notice it. If you feel the wrong color was put on the cabinets, you should talk to the cabinet maker immediately. Is the sample also maple?? What did you say as they were being installed? I'm not sure the cabinetry will get that much darker with time because maple actually yellows with time, cherry gets darker.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

I will chime in that I agree with everyone else above. I think it looks great.

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

I think it looks great. My cabinets are red oak stained almost the exact same color as yours and my granite is delicatus. I LOVE the combination. I really think you will love it too, just give it a little time.

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Your kitchen looks so nice. I know the feeling of but I wanted it exactly so, I too had a little issue with a cut on the granite I wanted different. I like it now and it makes no difference after the newness wears off of wanting perfection. But I wrote to tell you my friend had a new build with cherry cabinets that are a few years older now and they have darkened. So I guess you will get your darker cabinets if you wait!But I think it looks lovely now anyway.

• newchapter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow Thanks everybody! This actually makes me feel MUCH better. Ive been looking at it for so long that its hard to be objective.

ccoombs1 - do you have any pictures I could see?

stillwaters - any suggestion on the backsplash color? Im at a loss.

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

Sure! Here you go. The backsplash is travertine with a travertine and frosted glass mosaic. I liked the mosaic because the glass reminds me so much of the quartz areas in the Delicatus.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I think it looks fine too, and maple will oxidize as well. My charcoal cabinets (maple) are darker than they were originally.

• daki
    13 years ago

I also have Delicatus, but with very dark cabinets. However, my breakfast table is pretty much the exact same color as your cabinets :). My backsplash is sort of a taupe color, which coordinates with some of the quartz inclusions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daki's kitchen

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi newchapter...

I just watched your slideshow...your cabinets look beautiful, as well as your Delicatus...(I have the same granite:) I do see a very slight difference in the sample door as well. As still waters mentioned, the gray walls may be causing a conflict. Have you thought about changing the color of the walls? I would look at that option, as it is a somewhat easy and inexpensive way to tweek the overall appearance. To me, the gray is cool, where your granite is more warm. Best of Luck!

KA:)

• newchapter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am actually staining the floors, maybe the color I pick could help. Any suggestions?

KA - I LOVE LOVE your kitchen. Ive looked at it 1000 times!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi newchapter...

Thank you for the kind words..

I wish I could help you with floor color or your backsplash. Your flooring is beautiful. The only way I know to go about it is to look at lots of pictures. Maybe boxerpups will see this thread..or you could start a new one directly calling to her. She is so awesome when it comes to posting inspirational photos.

KA:)

• Linda Gomez
    13 years ago

If I'd had an idea on the color, I would have suggested it. As you can see in ccoombs kitchen, her warm yellow brings out warmth in both the cabinets and counter. I think a pink beige would be too matchy matchy tho. If you know someone with photoshop, they could paint your kitchen without you ever touching a brush.

I read a new house blog where they suggested painting large pieces of foam core board (science fair project boards) different colors and seeing them in different lights during the day and evening hours to help you decide.

ccoombs backsplash is more neutral--but has those pops of dark that tie in her cabinet and counter very nicely.

And ccoombs: I really like the diamond pattern you have over your cooktop. It's pattern without taking over the kitchen!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I was about to tell you the same as the others about how nice your cabs are currently but then I remembered my current agonizing over my eyebrow window installation and how unhappy I am with it (yes, even a few tears). Everyone thinks it is great yet acknowledges how it is different than drawn and there are even explanations about why (structurally), but I keep looking at it and want what I want anyway. It was a big part of my vision for my house and the framers set it up and were so proud of what they did. I looked at it and felt dismay. I figured I'd see what happened when the window went in and maybe I'd like it then as everyone else seems to. That didn't happen. Finally, yesterday, the put the white siding around it and it almost had me in tears in front of them because it looks even worse and I felt like a fool for having to say something now. I have 2 gcs (2 brothers) and a framer coming in the a.m. to see what can be done. One gc said he does not think we can change anything, but he will try to brainstorm.

I have had to adjust my vision here and there due to budget constraints, not finding exactly what I had hoped to, structural issues (long story) etc... This just was one thing I do not want to compromise on. If this is your "one thing" then you need to speak up to them, no matter how nice the cabs are now, and let them know that they did not provide what was promised. It can be even better in their eyes, but your eyes are what matters. I know I sound picky when I discussed my window with my contractors, but I also know how hard I tried to give it a chance before complaining. A friend came over today and saw what I see, and while she does not think it is so bad, she does think my way would be nicer. It felt good to be validated, but I know what I know in my heart. Dh says to get it changed if it bothers me, but that he thinks it looks nice. He knows it is not like the drawing or plans and had heard the discussions about how it was to look and this is plainly not that way. I was actually relieved to have someone say it was not ideal the way they did it.
    I honestly prefer the color you received, but it is not my kitchen and not my hard earned dollars paying for it. If you wanted darker, then they need to figure a way to make it darker somehow. There must be a treatment or something that can be done (slightly darker doors?). The time to be heard is before the final payment and make it clear that these are different than you ordered and if they could not match the sample door, you should have been consulted and had it explained to you prior to delivery.
    Good luck!

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Agree with the majority, looks great to me and I can't wait to see your finished kitchen!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Newchapeter,

Your kitchen is lovely. The granite, the cabs and entire
    space all amazing.
    I know you had a different vision but truly it is going to
    come together to be magnificent. If the color or shade
    drives you crazy, get them to change it, if not, know that
    to someone like me who loves to look at kitchens, yours is
    gorgeous.

Floors? You asked for ideas. I love this look. Similar
    to your own unfinished floor color now. I think it would
    look nice with your space.

Wall color? Maybe something more on the beige/brown
    undertone to pull those great colors from your rock.
    Cottonwood by Ralph Lauren

Chilled Chardonay Benjamin Moore

• newchapter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you thank you for all your help.

Boxerpups - thanks for the thoughts, Im thinking those paint colors might work. The rest of the house has gray undertones so Im not sure. When the backspash is in, there is almost no walls to be seen. Im thinking pick the backsplash and repaint whatever areas can still be seen?

Now I need thoughts on backsplash!

ccoombs1 - Thank you for posting. It really helps to see the finished product! It looks beautiful.

• babushka_cat
    13 years ago

another vote for i think it looks great - this coming from someone who prefers white kitchens! i see a slight difference in the color of sample vs. cabs but if you just focus on the cabs and countertops they look fab together!