Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
regina_phalange_gw

Can you Identify this Tile?

regina_phalange
13 years ago

I know nothing about tile and am only just begining to think about a backsplash. Saw this and fell in love. Does anyone know what it is?

found here - http://ashleeraubachphotography.blogspot.com/search/label/interiors

Comments (19)

• honeysucklevine
    13 years ago

It looks like Oceanside glass tile.

• regina_phalange
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! That must be it! Now I just have to figure out which one it is, ha ha.

• regina_phalange
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does this look the same?
    Tessera Veil
    {{!gwi}}

• regina_phalange
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh never mind, that one is definitely not the right one...back to start...

• worldmom
    13 years ago

Regina - that looks like the same one to me! If you look just above and to the left of the outlet in the second picture, you can see the colors and shimmer of the tiles. I think you found it. :)

• regina_phalange
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When I was searching around I found pics of the Tessera Veil in a kitchen and it's more of a high contrast with distinct white tiles and I'm not seeing that in my inspiration pic. In the inspiration pic, it looks more of an all over light beige, monochromatic. Here is the pic where I saw the Veil in a kitchen - http://www.flickr.com/photos/respek/2133038888/ . This made me rule it out.

• kitchenkrazed09
    13 years ago

Maybe it's a different color, such as Cane or Pamper? The photo in the last link you posted looks nothing like samples of the Veil shown at the web site linked below. Could it be just the lighting in the photo?

Here is a link that might be useful: Tessera Color Palette

• honeysucklevine
    13 years ago

In that kitchen the tile is a similar color to the floor, counter, paint but in a different tone. The white cabs and lots of natural light affect the color of tile. The color will change depending on lighting and other colors in the room.

To copy that look I would look for similar glass tile the same color as my countertop but in a light tone, and get some tile from different companies and bring it into the actual lighting that will exist in the kitchen and pick the one that looks best.

• regina_phalange
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback -- I think it must be the cane or pamper. I'll have to get my hands on some in person to find out which.

We are a blank slate for the kitchen right now. We have natural cabs but have thought about painting white or replacing completely. Wood floors we have are similar. We've been looking at similar granite and have reserved some butterfly gold. But we keep flip flopping about the direction we want to go. If I had an inspiration piece to build off of, I feel like we could start making some final decisions and get this started!!

• honeysucklevine
    13 years ago

Get some tile samples and put them together with the flooring, counter, and cabinet paint painted on something and try to see them together in different lights and the light in the actual room.

Remember that if you have a busy countertop it might be better to have a calm backsplash rather than a busy one and this might be on the busy side.

Notice how they shot that sideways so you don't see the countertop surface, just the edge of the countertop with your eye level 3 ft off the floor (which you will never look your kitchen at)?

It makes me wonder if the counter and tile look too busy together and the best shot is of just the backsplash with only the edge of the counter showing.

• honeysucklevine
    13 years ago

Also that countertop looks like it could be Caesarstone chocolate truffle.

If not the exact counter, it looks like a color match.

To copy this kitchen you might want to pick a counter color similar to your floor color or pick a counter and finish your floor in a similar color to the counter.

I think this photo is washed out to give it an atmospheric quality (maybe lightened a bit with photoshop).

Here is a link that might be useful: chocolate truffle

• regina_phalange
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your help honeysuckle! That Caesarston could definitely be it. It looks darker in the pics to me, especialy given that they are washed out but if not exact, it's certainly very close.

We will definitely get some samples and take them into our kitchen to see how they work together and with the light. The granite we are looking at, I'm unsure b/c they did not have any particular samples of that colorway. I tried to take a cellphone pic of the actual slab but it doesn't relfect how it really looks at al...same with pics online that I could find. But it's definitely similar to our floor color.

There were lots of pics of the inspiration and I kept trying to find one that showed the tops of counter for exactly the reason you suggest. I don't want too busy but I think that's what I like about the tile....it's really a very narrow monochramatic neutral with a bit of sparkle. Here are some pics that show more of the counter tops...do you think they compete too much?

• Pipdog
    13 years ago

regina, I like that particular combination, right down to the orange drapes and color accents. It looks somewhat similar to our backsplash, which is a white staggered onyx tile. It's not 1x1, but generally has the same neutral look as your inspiration tile. We went with light quartzite counters (Madre Perla) which picks up the green, beige and grey colors in the backsplash.

• regina_phalange
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow Pipdog, what an awesome combo you have there!!! Would you mind sharing the maker of that tile? It's so gorgeous!

• honeysucklevine
    13 years ago

The more I see, the more it looks like Caesarstone Chocolate Truffle.

If you pull out a light color from the Caesarstone Chocolate Truffle and put it on the backsplash in iridescent glass tile you will get this look.

It comes on a mesh so you can see how it will look with a sample of some countertop.

If you are worried the glass tile is too busy you can make the grout blend in more with the tile color. The more the grout color differs from the tile color, the busier the tile looks because the more the grout grit pattern stands out.

• honeysucklevine
    13 years ago

Caesarstone chocolate truffle on white cabs.

Here is a link that might be useful: chocolate truffle

• regina_phalange
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe I can get a sample and take it to the granite yard. I wish I could get a sample of the granite that we like. We aren't 100% sold on it yet purely b/c we aren't sure about the cabinet color. It's so hard to decide everything!!

I have asked the designer what the counters and tile are to see if she will tell me. I realized from the "before" pictures that the counters were already there so she may not know off hand what the counters are. Here are a couple pictures of the counters before she painted the cabs white:

• honeysucklevine
    13 years ago

Well that granite is definetly darker and heavier.

The caesarstone chocolate truffle is lighter and airier. (various shades of brown on a light background). See above photos.

But you need to compare in person to see what you like.

• Pipdog
    13 years ago

Regina, the onyx tile is manufactured by a local stone purveyor in Burbank, CA called Stone Mart.