Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dutty_gw

Design Help for Ikea Superhack

dutty
10 years ago

Greetings everyone!

I'm really hoping I can get a little design input here (I cross-posted to home decorating). My kitchen was originally supposed to be yellow:

I think the yellow gives off a really "organic" vibe. Well, DH decided at the last minute that he just can't have a yellow kitchen. He feels like yellow is too hard to get right and it'll look like his mom's old kitchen! So, I went back to white BUT I don't want an all-white kitchen and I wanted my island different. He chose blue and fell in love with SW Meditative. I like the blue we've picked (it is elsewhere in the house) but now I'm a bit concerned that without the earthy yellow, the gray blue looks too cold with the stainless and nickel and now the attached family room space and the kitchen no longer coordinate.

Another issue is, I've shopped with a yellow kitchen in mind and now I've got what I've got and I'm worried it's too disparate. Then again, I sorta dig it at the same time. I've compiled a mood board:

I own all the light fixtures and furniture, except for the Windsor counter stool. We have reclaimed barn wood going on the fireplace and the media console is also reclaimed. So, I'm wondering how to cross-polinate this to make it work.

- Am I just so used to yellow that I'm freaking about blue but actually it'll work?

- Bring the blue into the family room with some pillows and foot-stools?

- Bring the rustic-ness of the family into the kitchen with black cabinet hardware?

- Bring the reclaimed wood vibe to the counter with the windsor stools?

- Change the island color? Leave it white?

- fight for the yellow kitchen?

The following things have yet to be purchased:
Rugs
Backsplash
cocktail table
island stools
sofa table/desk
lamps
kitchen table chairs

Thoughts?

The fireplace can have soapstone instead of brick but the adjacent hall is brick:

Basic "undecorated" Mock Ups:

Comments (9)

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

First, I love your mock ups. You inspire so many with your IKEA kitchen, including me!

Have you considered a yellow island? That would still bring in the earthy yellow you want. The blue and yellow could be coordinated in fabrics. Have to admit I like the blue, too.

By the way, that hallway is killer! Love it.

• dutty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, motherof3; I appreciate the response.

I did mock up a yellow island, too! I like it but DH REALLY likes the blue. I'm glad to hear you like the blue. :) I'm just hoping that I can get my brain around it... I don't want everything disjointed and I'm concerned. I know its not truly "important" but after a year building, I don't want to end up with a weird mish-mosh.

• kcorn
    10 years ago

I think the blue will be gorgeous!!! Yellow would be lovely as well, but the combo of blue and white/off white, especially coupled with the pieces you have purchased and reclaimed wood will be absolutely complimentary!

Since you haven't purchased your bar stools yet, have you checked out Lexington Dalton Counter Stool (part of the Twilight Bay series - see link)? I could see this working in your space with this color palette; although the windsor chairs would absolutely work as well!

You have a tremendous opportunity to still bring in the yellow and blue with accents in BOTH the family room and kitchen with the items yet to purchase. And, I don't think you will end up with a weird 'miss-mosh' at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lexington bar stools

• bbtrix
    10 years ago

I love your vision so far and am excited to watch your progress. We're also in the middle of an IKEA kitchen and wish I had the hack confidence that you have.

Have you checked out 2LittleFishies beautiful yellow kitchen? She incorporated white and yellow cabs with blue accents in the family room. Whichever you choose will look great, but be sure you love it. I hope you go with your gut and "vision"!

Here is a link that might be useful: 2LittleFishies Yellow Kitchen

• lucy111
    10 years ago

I love the blue! And I do think you can tie your rooms together without too much trouble. All of your pieces are beautiful. Here is link to a "rustic" family room with a few "warm" blue accents (in the rug and throw pillows). I don't know if they are your taste, but I just love this room!

Here is a link that might be useful: [Rustic Family Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mountain-chic-traditional-living-room-phvw-vp~887244)

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

Blue and yellow are a classic combination. Try and find a valance or rug with both colors in it, along with some of the browns you have in your woods. use those colors around the room, pillows, decor etc. you could even paint your cabinet the yellow you love. Then repaint it the blue and strategically sand off edging here and there to let the yellow show, like its been touched and rubbed for years. Yellow - amber- carmel slag glass pendants, shot with blue. Perfect.

• dutty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone! So it sounds like I'm worrying about nothing. Maybe I was so focused on what the kitchen WAS planned to be that I couldn't wrap my brain around what it COULD be.

spartans99 Thanks for the encouragement! I LOVE LOVE LOVE those bar stools. I'm gonna see if I can see them in person locally. I think they would work great and those little Windsors are like $500 EACH, which seems a little steep for a bar stool. I've been looking for an alternative.

carsonheim Haha! That first pic has been in our inspiration photos forever. It's really pretty, isn't it? I've been trying to convince DH that if we go with blue, that he has to let me paint the inside of our glass cabinets, too. He's not so sure... he says that'll be too much blue. He's a dork. And yes, I really love the creamy off-white. We used SW Antique White as one of our samples but it sooooo didn't work in our light. We're SW Pearly on all walls and trim and the cabinets are tentatively SW Alabaster. It's creamy but in huge quantities I'm worried it might be too white.

Thank you for the pictures!

bbtrix Yes, I have seen that kitchen and OMG... it is DREAMY!! It just has all the perfect elements. I've showed that to DH and he says that kitchen is smaller, so it works, but in our space it would be overwhelming. Sigh.

Hey - good luck on your IKEA hack! I hope you'll post pictures. I love to see what's possible and how people use the product to do cool things. :)

Lucy I like that room, too. :) I'm glad you think I can "cross-pollinate" relatively easy. I know for sure we will have two fabric ottomans and a few throw pillows. Maybe it will be enough and I was worrying for nothing. Thank you so much for chiming in!

unbidden Thank you for the advice. I love the combo but I think DH is pretty set on killing my yellow all together! :P The whole house has pretty much been me so I suppose if he just doesn't like yellow, I can abide. It would have been nicer if he told me 4 months ago!!

You might be on to something about the island. I wanted very simple but now that you mention doing the rub-through, it might be a great way to bring that more reclaimed vibe into the kitchen. This is something I will stew on.

Off to google slag glass! ;) I learn something new every day.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    10 years ago

So bummed you have to give up your idea of a yellow kitchen. We built our house in 1998 and a yellow kitchen was one of the few things we agreed on!
    This is a pic from when we first finished the house. We had recently bought the white fridge/dishwasher and microwave so had to put those in originally. We have since switched them out to stainless as that is what the ovens and cooktop were.
    The day the cabinets were installed the builder called me freaking out about how yellow the cabinets were and I'll admit I panicked a bit myself but decided we couldn't afford to repaint so continued on. Once we put in the countertops and appliances it all balanced out.

Anyway, we are about to repaint our kitchen finally after almost 17 years and I'm going to have to fight my husband to change the yellow. I'm thinking cream and a blue island like you mentioned so will be watching your posts to see where you end up.

Good luck,
    Annette

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!