Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Tile for which you pine

oldbat2be
9 years ago

Please post a picture of tile to which you return repeatedly, and a brief explanation of why it resonates with you.

For me, the hex shape and contrasting grout somehow make a compelling statement. The reclaimed wood is also very important.

Comments (66)

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I have that stool too, but mine isn't painted. It's at the foot of my bed so pup-pup can jump in bed with us.

• diymom79
    9 years ago

Elizardbethday I'm from PA. This pic reminded me of fireclay way to pricy for me but my dream look.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Mine is stained, to match a really tall bathroom vanity my toddler had to use. Toddler isn't a toddler any more, but a sturdy stool you can walk right up without minding your balance is awesome. :)

Motawi used to have a style called "Sweet Pea" that you could use to run a vine all around your kitchen. It's been discontinued since I've been able to afford it, but it was so nice.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Oh, dear. I am so sorry. For the tile and the chickens.

Mine have a nice designer coop, but they need a large, fenced, double fenced, wire covered enclosure, now that they are accustomed to the total free range life. LOL.
    P.S. If you go to the website (Houzz, I guess) that shows that Louisiana kitchen with the Tabarka tile, you will note that the tile is not behind the stove. Ever wonder why?

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

This. The same as Cawaps posted in green above. I still plan to use it behind my MB tub when we get around to finishing that room. Sorry for the bad quality.

{{gwi:2138720}}

I lust after a few others also that I might have time later to post.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

DIYmom,
    Ann Sacks Capri is, I think, that tile.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I don't know . . . I couldn't find that particular Louisiana house, but I see other kitchens that use nice Tabarka tile JUST behind the stove and inexpensive subways for the majority of the kitchen.

From their website: The use on kitchen countertops or working surfaces is not recommended since the acidity of liquid spills, and excessive heat from cooking utensils may damage the surface of the tiles. If using around a fireplace or near a stove (such as kitchen backsplash), care should be taken that our tiles are not exposed to high levels of direct heat or open flame.

No one fries things on a back burner, and certainly a stove wouldn't have an open flame. I'm going to investigate this topic further.

Thanks for the heads-up.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Well, you should see the raw flaming fire that comes from the 23k BTU open burners on my CC rangetop. I use the back center burner for my highest heat cooking for maximum hood capture. I have slightly blackened the painted drywall behind that burner. (I still don't have a BS.) I must take this into consideration when choosing my tile.

Edited to fix typos.

This post was edited by breezygirl on Sun, Feb 1, 15 at 1:28

• steph2000
    9 years ago

This is a graduated tile that draws me over and again for the bathroom, though I can't locate the source/tiles colors to replicate it and perhaps that's fortunate because I am ALL OVER the place with tile.

{{gwi:2138721}}

[Contemporary Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by New York Photographers Vanni Archive/Architectural Photography

• steph2000
    9 years ago

These large format brick tiles draw me over and over again in general. In my dark, 1950's house, they seem to be a way to incorporate something that borders on subways but being more appropriate for my home. They also seem to be a way to bring in a light, cleanable, minimal group tile into both the bathroom and the kitchen while coordinating with my backsplash window potentially?

I pingpong all over the place, but this look does draw me back time and time again...

{{gwi:2138722}}

[Modern Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2105) by San Francisco Architects & Building Designers John Lum Architecture, Inc. AIA

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Right--That is probably what I recall. I have always had fire-breathing open flame ranges, so I figured it wasn't a great idea. My current b/s is stainless and is subjected to scrubbing. The splash behind a secondary cooktop used for simmering is glazed ceramic and it gets gentler treatment. I would talk to Tabarka directly. Some tile websites show their own tile behind ranges in their own ads and then tell you not to use it that way in your house!

• amck2
    9 years ago

Brittany & Coggs tile. I've yearned to have it in my home since I saw it years ago featured in a regional decor magazine. It's made here in NH.

It didn't seem a fit for our lakehouse kitchen, which we were building at the time. And in the end I went with a very simple BS in my new kitchen, which feels just right, considering the other components.

But in my next life, I'm going to plan for it and hopefully include the bee motif in some subtle way.

nhbaskets has a beautifully executed example in her new kitchen.

{{gwi:2138723}}

This post was edited by amck on Sat, Jan 31, 15 at 20:32

• steph2000
    9 years ago

I also have that hexagon circle pic from the OP on my inspiration list - and I think it's a great look.

Beyond that, witness my pingpongingness - if you dare:

Stacked stone comes up again and again for me -

{{gwi:2138724}}

[Contemporary Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by Tacoma Kitchen & Bath Designers Signature Design & Cabinetry LLC

The tile everyone loves but no one can have because they decided it's popularity was a reason to discontinue it, I guess...

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by San Francisco Interior Designers & Decorators Fiorella Design

The counter to ceiling wall of tile on the range wall that I can't get out of my head despite the fact that the colors are nothing I would choose and I'm not sure what the heck I would do instead to get a similar look I could live with for years and years

{{gwi:2138725}}

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Philadelphia General Contractors Buckminster Green LLC

Linear tiles (and counter) that I'm pretty sure are not a great look for my house but I am in love with

{{gwi:2138726}}

[Industrial Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/industrial-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2113) by Toronto Interior Designers & Decorators Croma Design Inc

And I come back to this one over and over again, though it is likely too traditional and takes things in perhaps a totally different direction yet again.

And someone posted a GREAT red wide hex last week that I thought was incredible but couldn't figure out a way to pin/save outside of my clippings here.

• lee676
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2138727}}

• romy718
    9 years ago

May not be about the tile but I like this kitchen.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Errant - Below is the link to the picture on Houzz.

The description says:
    "An old desk was made into a vanity with a custom concrete countertop."

diymom79 - love those colors!

Christine - that rooster with teakettle and range - everything works so nicely together. (4500 sink? Ack!)

crl_ - Fabulous. I love that almost waxy look (shimmery sounds nicer!). Good luck with Heath and Fireclay - lucky you going in person. (Could you please document your visits and post pictures?)

MrsPete - I am so looking forward to seeing what you select. I've never seen Tabarka before but loved looking at their site. Just look at this floor!

Here is a link that might be useful: [Link to brown hex tile bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/more-than-half-a-bath-eclectic-bathroom-grand-rapids-phvw-vp~2088410)

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    9 years ago

threegraces - Ah, yes, Artistic Tile and the New Ravenna mosaics collection. So beautiful.

forboystoo - somehow that goes so nicely with the tiled counter.

kitchendetective - Ha!

fori - Show-off!

crl_ - I thought about the Fireclay hand painted tiles but the idea of matching their colors to my palette was just too much pressure! Perhaps if one started with the tiles....

cawaps - love that picture. That makes me think of gooster's dining room. Wouldn't that be a fabulous tile for the wall?!

breezy - that is so pretty in white.

Steph2000 - What an interesting effect, in that first picture, with the graduated colors. I think the floor bothers me and I'm wondering how the room would look with either a lighter floor or dark grount. There are so many clean elements I like otherwise. (You ARE all over the place!)

amck - is that nhbasket's?! Either way, beautiful! (I'm not too far from her; one of these years I'm hoping to see her kitchen in person).

lee676 - Ahhhh. Perfect for the home with the ocean or lake view.

romy718 - yet one more with the lovely light blue/green tile.

Thanks all, happy old bat here viewing all of these. (Guilty too - as I write, I hear DH outside, snowblowing.... we're due for another foot of snow tonight).

• threegraces
    9 years ago

We also have that IKEA stool which I did paint to match our kitchen. Dollar for dollar, best money ever spent at IKEA but we didn't know that until we had a toddler. She uses that thing a dozen times a day.

• cawaps
    9 years ago

kitchendetective, I have seen the Studio Moderne Paramount tile in person at a Walker Zanger showroom, in all its many colors. I think the green in the photo is a fair representation of the actual color, which is called Clover. I haven't seen the pic side-by-side with the tile, but its definitely in the ballpark. The thing I remember about the tile is how BIG it is--at 15x15, it really needs to be on a large expanse of wall and not just between the counter and cabinets.

• leela4
    9 years ago

Again-Artistic Tile: St Louis with Silver Louie Linear Gloss Mosaic Blend. This is what we lusted after for behind the range 4 ½ years ago. I wish we could have used this. Somewhere. Anywhere :-)

{{gwi:2138728}}

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Mrs. Pete,
    When that photo in question was on Houzz, the designer was listed as Stafford Tile and Stone, either in New Orleans or in Baton Rouge (they have two stores). Many answers in Houzz aren't correct, so I am not sure of the accuracy, but I suppose you could contact them, if interested.

Leela4,
    I luuurrrve that tile!

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Mon, Feb 2, 15 at 8:51

• LE
    9 years ago

I love some of the simple Heath tiles, with the slightly variable colors. I couldn't commit to a color, though and decided on something with a slightly different aspect ratio (4 x 16), but I still can't believe I looked at every fancy tile in the metro area and ended up with off-white in a matte finish...

• amck2
    9 years ago

oldbat2be, the photo I posted above shows one of my favorite B&C tile patterns, but it's not nhbasket's. Her BS has a picture frame with what appear on my monitor to be a combo of ivory/grey/beige & blue tiles.

Until we emptied our kitchen for demo I'd kept a few of the sample tiles I'd picked 7 yrs. ago when I considered them for the lakehouse. I don't think photos can translate how pretty they are IRL.

• Fori
    9 years ago

(A few weeks ago I was walking up and down that stool with a 5 gallon bucket after moving an aquarium from the remodeling zone. Sturdy!)

{{gwi:2138729}}

Pewabic. Try not to view the deco strip as green girls in blue bikinis picking up something.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

I shall never un-see that.

• leela4
    9 years ago

One more from Artistic Tile:
    {{gwi:2138730}}

And anything from Motawi Tileworks (Pewabic reminded me of these):

{{gwi:2138731}}

The caption on their website says, ''Outdoor kitchen in the Pacific Northwest with Songbird tile accent''

• Gooster
    9 years ago

@cawaps, @kitchendetective @oldbat2be: yes those Studio Moderne tiles are very large format. 15x15 with a large repeat. I was looking at them for my kitchen and then my Family Room fireplace. As mentioned above, you really need a large wall to take advantage of it, and the right color match. I'm still keeping it in mind along with the Imperial from the same series (which comes in a smaller repeat).

I ended up with another obsession, Arabia from Ken Mason Tile, on my fireplace. I was thinking about this tile for months and finally got a chance to use it. It's a beveled arabesque.

I have another one that I'm eyeing for a modern bath in a loft -- it's a dimensional damask from Spain.
    {{gwi:2138732}}

And, looking back, I don't just like solid dimensional tile with a lot of detail, but that is just what these two seem to share....

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

I second amck's love of Brittany & Coggs and feel fortunate to have some of it in my new kitchen. The fact that it's made in the town we live in makes it even more special.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brittany & Coggs

• larecoltante Z6b NoVa
    9 years ago

I'm so glad to see someone using Brittany & Coggs. Like amck I love the bees. Very pretty, nh!

• mom2sulu
    9 years ago

Nhbaskets,

Have you ever done a final reveal? Your tile is exquisite! I would love to see it all.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Mom2, haven't done my reveal yet. It's on my list of things to do!

• amck2
    9 years ago

nhbaskets, you get a pass from me simply based on how much time we've had to spend shoveling ourselves out lately!

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

fori, I spit my coffee.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

I love plaid tile. Either in a DIY mosaic that was posted on yhe Bathrooms forum a while back or something from Adko in their Fabric collection.

• Fori
    9 years ago

For the record, I love that green shower. I might have chosen a slightly different arrangement of certain pieces....but...

Love the glass mosaics.

I remember the plaid DIY job--that was fabulous.

• countrycottageklutz (Zone 5 ON)
    9 years ago

Not even tile in most peoples minds, impractical perhaps, but these will find it's way into my home some how, somewhere!

Sorry about the following link not being to the manufacturers site, but it's all I could find.

Here is a link that might be useful: Love me some herringbone!

• catkin
    9 years ago

Artistic Tile's stone (especially marble) offerings. Stunning, IMO.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Oldbat2be, I haven't been to the SF fireclay and heath showrooms yet, but since you asked for pictures, I thought I'd share a couple from our tour of the heath factory and the heath store in Sausalito.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Another from the Sausalito Heath store.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Heath also makes beautiful dishes.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Last one, this is from the factory floor. It's the work station for their glaze developer. I was so intrigued by the experiments at her station.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    9 years ago

fori - do you think that was designed that way on purpose, by any chance?

countrycottageklutz - that's exactly what I was asking. The materials you are determined to find a space for.

leela4 - I worry about the grout lines on that one. Wayyyyy too many. (Ask me about my mosaic glass shower sometime).

lori_inthnw - I love the color variation, in the simple Heath and Fireclay tiles (and I'm sure, many others). We're starting a bathroom renovation, and I love the idea of different shapes but same color.

Thanks amck. I'm just south of the NH border. DH and I should really make a road trip to see Brittany and Coggs. Perhaps we could meet you and nhbaskets for lunch? (and maybe a kitchen tour or two?!)

gooster - You definitely have the large wall for the large format :) I still think they'd be fabulous (or hey - wallpaper?!) Will be pleased to photoshop either for you. Your fireplace is gorgeous, always smile when I see it. Love that damask, have NEVER seen that before. Hope you find a place for it.

nhbaskets - Gorgeous tile, gorgeous kitchen!

IowaCommute - I'm starting to spend time in the bathrooms forum; will be looking for the plaid mosaic.

catkin - definitely agree, and love browsing them. And then I come back to reality....

crl_ - thank you for the pictures! The wide hex twist and wide hex stack are two of my all-time favorites. I've never ordered any of their dishes- don't you love the gunmetal (I forget the name of the color) finish? Glaze developer? Do tell us more please.

• Fori
    9 years ago

I think it was a horrible accident. It should be interpreted as a nice arts 'n' craftsy pattern reminiscent of a ginkgo or something. Cuz I'm sure we could all do a better representation of butts if we actually wanted to!

That wavy blue glass...yeah I could find a spot for that. It's not as formal as many I love that won't work with my home/lifestyle. Good thing I didn't run across that as I was looking for bathroom tile. (I recently ordered my bathroom tile from Fireclay but I bet that would seem cheap compared to the wavy blue stuff.)

• crl_
    9 years ago

Oldbat2be, as I recall from the tour, the glaze developer is a relative of the founder of heath tile (who is now deceased). Her job is to develop new glazes. Heath puts out seasonal, limited run collections and new offerings from time to time so they are constantly developing new glazes--different colors, finishes and effects. It sounded like one of the coolest jobs I have ever heard of.

The dishes are all made in their Sausalito factory, which is their orginal building. They now make their tile in San Francisco. Both factories give free tours--reservations are necessary.

Just for kicks here's another shot of their tile.

• raenjapan
    9 years ago

I want to hear about the mosaic tile shower, oldbat. I was considering mosaics for the big shower we're building. No?

Also love the Sausalito Heath tiles--fantastic.

{{gwi:2138726}}

Nothing says "no one who lives here has ever cooked anything more elaborate than toast" quite like framed art leaning against the wall on the counter in between the sink and the stove. :)

I have no idea what this tile is, but I love it, and everything about this space:

• romy718
    9 years ago

Someday, we'll be gutting the master bath. Something I haven't even wanted to think about. Those Studio Moderne pics make me a wee bit excited.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Raenjapan, there's not even any fruit in the bowl on the table. I think toast might be a stretch. Lol.

Fori, I like the bikini bottom tile. Maybe even with the possibly inadvertent bottoms.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Oh, raenjapan, I wonder if your mystery tile might be fireclay's brick?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireclay website, brick tile colors

• Fori
    9 years ago

I don't think it's Fireclay's brick. That stuff...just not that glaze-y. The brick texture shows through more than on Raen's tile which is nice and smooooth. They do use the same glazes on their regular tile though so maybe it's one of those?

• Gooster
    9 years ago

@oldbat -- good luck with your bath project! the house MB project is still a few years out. At the loft, I'd like to use the damask tile. It's only $7 a square foot, which makes it perfect for a sometime rental. I'll eventually deal with the wall in the DR, thank you for the offer for photoshop assistance. I'm supposed to step away from the room right now :)

@raenjapan -- i think those thin subways could be Heath as well. They do similar glazes on 2x12 tiles.

I love Artistic Tile -- all lovely examples. I think someone used it in a reveal about a year ago.

I also adore Pratt and Larson.

{{gwi:2138733}}

[Contemporary Tile[(https://www.houzz.com/products/contemporary-tile-prbr1-br~t_1053~s_2103) by Portland Tile, Stone & Countertops Pratt and Larson Ceramics

Here is a link that might be useful: Pratt and Larson Motif