Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkfinor

Towel Storage

dkfinor
15 years ago

How do you store your kitchen towels in the kitchen - both the one(s) you are using and extras?

Comments (17)

• golddust
    15 years ago

I have tons of towels that I use for general cleaning and kitchen towels for the kitchen. I keep them in two drawers next to my sink.

I have repurposed an old Acme # 4 wall mounted coffee grinder hung on a cabinet next to my sink that I use as a kitchen towel holder/dryer. It has a hole between the glass and the metal part that I stick the towel in... I tried using the handles of my dishwasher but every time I'd open it, the towel would hit the floor. That just didn't seem right and every time I opened it, the towel would be tossed in the laundry.

I do have an inside the door towel bar (mounted under my sink) that I intended to use but my rubber gloves are living there now (and they seem to like it).

Guess I should be interested in this thread too.

• morton5
    15 years ago

I go through probably a dozen towels a day-- really! I have a lot of terry shop towels and also some smooth ones, and I use them for everything-- drying dishes, wiping counters, wiping spills, wiping faces. With 5 kids, something always needs cleaning up or drying. I leave an in-use towel near my sink, but once I deem it germy (from a floor or face wipe, for example), I dump it into the hamper in my 12" cleaning pullout next to my DW. I love this pullout! It holds the hamper/bucket for the dirty rags, my spray bottles, my rubber gloves, polishes, etc.. Once the hamper is full (pretty much happens daily) I run a small load of towels with bleach. Clean, folded towels are stored under the sink. I do reach for a clean towel whenever I have a bunch of dishes to dry, and after that it gets relegated to grungier tasks.

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

I keep the towels in a drawer for storage and on this towel holder on the counter for daily use:

• scootermom
    15 years ago

Morton5, I love your hamper-in-the-pullout idea! I actually have a free-standing hamper in my (1970's, unremodeled) kitchen. It's just too far to the laundry room to trot every time I have a dirty towel or dishrag (several times a day). I empty it every day. But it doesn't need to be a full-sized hamper, so a bucket in a pullout sounds like a great idea. Thanks!

• Oakley
    15 years ago

In one deep drawer along with dish cloths and oven mits.

• rosie
    15 years ago

I put towel bar-type handles on my two pullouts, the garbage by main sink and another where I work by the island prep sink, both low and not extremely visible for undecorative dish towels, which are stored in a drawer by the sink. Rags for dirty cleanup and special dustcloths are in baskets in a cabinet elsewhere. Dirty get tossed in or draped on a basket under the sink, but I only average a couple a day.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I have my clean towels in a drawer next to the sink. Dirty towels go into dishpans under the sink to await washing. I have two dishpans, one for regular towels and one for microfiber (since they should be washed separatly from cotton towels).

• arleneb
    15 years ago

In my last kitchen, clean ones were in a drawer next to the sink and used ones went to the laundry room, next to the kitchen. I don't have 5 kids, but like Morton5, I go through a lot of towels in a day, using them much as she does.

In this house the laundry room is in the Master bedroom area, so my plan is to have a drying rack of some sort and small hamper in the pantry, next to the kitchen.

So what I need to figure out now is a way to hang them while in use!

Arlene

• sergeantcuff
    15 years ago

I keep everything in here. Towels, tablecloths, extra glasses, platters, no-so-often used spices, candles, silver, and LOTS of miscellaneous junk.

{{!gwi}}

I bought this rather monstrous piece of furniture when we moved into this house about 10 years ago since my kitchen has very little storage space. I always thought I'd get rid of it when we renovated the kitchen. But now I'm kind of attached to it. It's certainly useful.

I am going to have a separate drawer in the new kitchen for towels and dishcloths. I've noticed family members use the same filthy towel rather than walk into the very next room for a clean one.

• caryscott
    15 years ago

My Mom has a drawer in her new kitchen for the fresh ones.

We might get this from Lee Valley:

It has already migrated to the oven door so I am thinking these might be more practical:
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

But I'm pretty sure they won't work with her frameless cabs.

• User
    15 years ago

I have a lot of towels. I keep the clean towels folded in a basket near the sink, and the towels I'm using "artfully" placed around the kitchen. Really damp ones hang on the front of my sink until dry and then into the laundry basket. I don't use valuable drawer space for towels, and I really like to be able to grab one quickly, rather than having to open a drawer to get one.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Our "in-use" dish towels hang from the freezer drawer handle & the warming drawer handle (one for each side of the kitchen). They get changed out daily.

Our "in-use" microfiber towels for wiping down the counter & SS appliances are stored on top of the bottle of cleaner they're associated with. The microfiber towels stick around for at least a week b/c they're not used very much. My counters and cooktop are wiped down at least once a day w/detergent & water (using a dish cloth). Once a week, or when I'm expecting company, the counters get wiped down w/a granite cleaner and the SS appliances w/a SS cleaner using the microfiber cloths.

The clean towels/cloths (microfiber & dish) go in a 33" wide shallow drawer b/w the refrigerator & the cleanup/main sink. The refrigerator is across from the prep sink & prep area so the clean towels are convenient to both the cleanup area and prep & cook area.

Dirty towels get tossed into the basement where our laundry area is.

• jillie731
    15 years ago

Morton5: do you have a picture of your cleaning pullout w/ hamper? I am trying to decide what to do in the new house since we are moving laundry upstairs... not sure where to store dirty towels until I have a chance to bring them up to wash them. Thanks

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I have a full sized drawer dedicated to the towels. I use them and toss them in a bucket under the sink. When full, they go into the laundry and are washed. I use about 15 towels a day and rarely use paper towels at all. I don't have any fancy towel holders on the counter because once I use them, I put them in the bucket.
    Good luck!

• morton5
    15 years ago

Here you go. The rectangular bucket holds 3 gallons and is a Rationelle trash pail from Ikea. It is not ventilated so I empty it every day or two (looks like I need to empty it now). The pullout is 12" wide. I love having a spot to store my tall spray bottles without rummaging beneath the sink. Holds my rubber gloves, in-use sos pad (in an old teacup), various cleaning brushes and polishes as well.

• jillie731
    15 years ago

wow! That is great!! Thanks

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Morton,

Thanks for the pic. I have saved it to my files, and have shown it to DH. We may copy that idea to add a shallow drawer over our trash pullout. I haven't been able to find trash receptacles tall enough to utilize all the space, and am just using recyling bags for the bottles and cans, but hate wasting any amount of space!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!