Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittymerr_gw

Backsplash Help for Creamy white cabinets, soapstone...

kittymerr
15 years ago

Okay, I am four and 1/2 years running here in our new home and still no backsplash! I have antique white cabinets, soapstone, and cherry wood counters. The wood is too orangey for me and I am planning on having them either browned up more or replacing them with a walnut that is more med-dark brown. I really want to keep it simple but beautiful, as you'll see in the pictures, the main section is behind the cooktop with Mantel over top. It is the focal point of the kitchen, breakfast room, and family room. I will be doing that the sides and a portion in the butlers pantry. I am currently considering a slab of a creamy marble ( in the main section), with some warm and charcoal veining, to pull in the soapstone and med-tan walls. They look more yellow in the picture then they are in reality. OR, a mosaic of 1"x1" marble. OR a simple subway in the right white!, OR an Ann Sacks Sur La Mer tile in a creamy white that has some variation in the colors. I would love, love, love to hear from anyone who has an idea, and what you envision there. My decorating style is classic, clean, neutral, textural, and a bit transitional. Thanks for any ideas!!! One more thing, the pictures show some of the calacatta marble I am considering and one white onyx mosaic. If you look in the older kitchen album, you'll see I have repainted the kitchen from yellow to tan and changed the hardware from antique pewter to a darker finish (ties the counters in better) Kitty

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen pictures

Comments (19)

• dd70
    15 years ago

I think the marble would look stunning in your kitchen! While I am at the point of thinking white subways are overused I do think they would look great as well. Maybe you could mix it up and put subways behind the stove and the marble in the other areas? coordinating colors of course. I really like your kitchen.

Im sure you will get alot of great ideas from others.

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

What a pretty mantle! I agree either the marble or the subway tile would work but the marble would be really gorgeous. Can't wait to find out what you decide to do as I am having a similar backsplash dilemma!

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

very pretty kitchen. love the sepia photograph above the stove. My initial reaction is the slab on the left.... from the pictures it seemed really harmonious with your space. I think you'd also be able to come up with a jazzy pattern with the 1x1 mosaic tiles. maybe slab/mosaic combo??

check urban archaeology's website for inspiration and ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile inspiration

• marthavila
    15 years ago

I totally agree with Mamadadapaige's suggestion of marble and Urban Archaeology as a tile source. I purchased my white marble mosaic backsplash tiles from them and they were a pleasure to work with. I have yet to learn the name of my marble, but it's somewhat of mix between Calacatta and Carrarra in appearance -- white with both grey and gold veining. I think that combo goes great with my dove white cabs and soapstone countertops as I'm sure it would in your lovely kitchen.

• prettykitty1971
    15 years ago

I, too, like the marble sample on the left, I think it will be a nice effect with your cabs and counter tops.

• katmandu_2008
    15 years ago

I also like the idea of the marble slab for the main backsplash behind the range, that would be a great focal point. I also like the idea of the small mosaic tiles of marble or something very complimentary along the other areas as a bit of contrast. Your kitchen is beautifully simple so I don't think the variation would be too much.

• nauset
    15 years ago

Kitty ~ Beautiful..do you remember the color of the first yellow paint and what color is the present tan? Am torn at this point on colors -two choices being yellow and tan.

You make me feel good knowing I can wait YEARS on BS decision.
    Carole

• kittymerr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the input. I too like the large calacutta tile with the charcoal veining. The problem is finding the right slab. Any suggestions? I have looked at one local granite/marble fabricator and they didn't have anything like that.
    Carole, The tan on my walls is a California Paint color, purchased through BM that is no longer made, but they can make it, called Balsam Bark. The other color was a Lowes Valspar Signature American Traditions Brushed Suede in Camel. From experience, I am not sure you'll "feel good" not having picked a backsplash for YEARS!!! I am feeling like I have to do it, but I also don't want to settle for anything other than I love it, love it, love it every time I look at it and think to myself, now that is IT and IT was worth the wait! haha

• kittymerr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I added more pictures of the family room and mudroom. I have calls into granite/marble yards not much calacutta around here. Any ideas on where to get a creamy white marble with grey and tan veins in a mosaic reasonably? I will check out urban archeology.

• sergeantcuff
    15 years ago

Your house is really lovely. Thanks for posting your older kitchen pics. It's really helpful to see the same kitchen with different cabinet hardware. Could you please share the name / source of your new hardware? Thanks. Maureen

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

How did I not know about the beautiful backsplash material at Urban Archeology? Another site bookmarked! I really think either could look lovely but since you stated simpicity, elgeance, clean lines... I think the marble would be spectacular!

• kittymerr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maureen, Thanks for the kind words. The new hardware is from Restoration Hardware called Duluth pull and knob in Oil rubbed bronze. If anyone is interested I have a boat load of the old hardware, antique pewter, from Amtek knobs and bin pulls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware

• prettykitty1971
    15 years ago

When we were picking marble slabs for our island and back splash, I wanted Carrara, as that was all I really knew to ask for from seeing it in magazines, etc, and knowing that I wanted A LOT of veining. Our local marble people said they did not have Carrara and did not offer to find any, but when I told them I really needed the gray veining, I was told "oh, you would really love Alabama Primo" - I don't know if that is just a local name or what, it is from Italy. They had one sample piece in stock that was about 4 inches square - which was not much to look at - and so we agreed that they would order it and I would have the right to refuse the slab if it wasn't to my liking. Tell your fabricator what you are looking for and see if that helps. Here is a photo of our kitchen marble.

From Our 1890 home and kitchen remodel/restoration

• bestyears
    15 years ago

What a lovely kitchen. You mentioned you liked texture in your original post, so I thought I'd post an alternate idea. I recently caught Candace Olsen's Top Ten Kitchens on HGTV. She did a creamy white kitchen and used primed and painted antique-tin looking tiles for the backsplash. Painted them the same color as the cabinets. It was stunning. I've attached a link to it, but the picture is not great -you really have to strain to see it.... Incidentally, do you happen to know the paint color used on your cabinets?

Here is a link that might be useful: Candace Olsen's Tin Backsplash

• kittymerr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bestyears, My cabinets were painted in the factory and called antique white, but I can tell you that it is a near perfect match to BM's Marble White OC34. Thanks for the photo, this is all so helpful. I am in the process of calling marble yards and getting pictures sent to me, and saw some in person. I really love the largest tile in my photos as I feel that the deep charcoal vein and warm tan veins, with the clear white background is most complementary to my kitchen. Finding that is proving to me most difficult. Makes me think that subway or marble mosaic is a much easier choice. But then again I have waited this long to find the right thing... I am so grateful for all the ideas and help you all have given me. I was on the building forum a ton about 5 years ago when we built our house and I could not have done it without all the wonderful support, ideas and knowledge! Kitty

• deegw
    15 years ago

Your kitchen looks great. I wanted to show you a pic of my marble subways from Alabama. The price was very reasonable. The veining is subtle but there is a fair amount of variation between the tiles. I have gold and gray veins. My backsplash area is too small too pull off dramatic veining but I think the subways are still able to add a layer of depth and warmth.

{{!gwi}}

• kittymerr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dee where did you get them? They look lovely! Do you know if they'll ship samples?

• vmilmeis
    15 years ago

I love you kitchen and house!!! I'm in the process of picking my cabinet colors and splitting hairs over whites. What paint company is the Antique White you used? Also, I love all the colors in your house. Would you mind sharing the paint color as well as the trim. Thank you. By the way, I love the marble backsplash.

Thank you so much.

• kittymerr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

vmilmeis, sorry to take so long to respond. Thanks for your kind words. The cabinets were factory finished and that is the color they called it. It is a near perfect match to BM's Marble white OC 34. The paint color is a california paint found at BM store called Balsam Bark, no longer made, but I am sure they still have the formula. The trim was painted to match the cabinets and is the Marble white OC34 by BM in oil.Good luck with your choices!