Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to space island pendants

Posted by maggiebkit (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 21:28

We are going to hang two 15" pendant lights over our island. What is the proper way to decide how far apart to hang them?
One place I read, divide the island in half and place each light in the middle of one half.
Another place I read to make the space from the end of the island to the lights equal to the space between the two lights.
What is everyone thoughts?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to space island pendants

In short the first method you referenced is the guideline for effective/efficient light design.

o

The first method gives the most even lighting across the whole island

The second method will concentrate the light slightly towards the middle of the island. If you have can lights at the end of the island, this might be what you want.

Make sure the pendants spread enough so you aren't working in a dim spot.

o

Try the GW trick for starters: hang two balloons from string and see how each placement looks. How big is your island? Will two lights be sufficient for illumination?

o

Thank you all for your responses!

SaltLife631, that's what I thought and why I was worried about doing method number 2.

Lazygardens-I think we have enough cans. Our kitchen seems bright enough now without the pendants up. I'd hate to have a shadowy working area.

Deedles- Great suggestion on the balloons. Our island is long--101 inches, but our pendants are also big - 15 inches across. Once we tried the balloons and looked at the space, splitting the island in half and in half again made the large pendants too close to the edges of the island. So we have opted for option number 2 which seems to look the best in our space.

Thanks again everyone!!

o

Nice! Gotta love the easy answers, right? Now, don't forget to post some pics when you are done!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here