Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laughablemoments

What's behind your cooktop--backsplash question

laughablemoments
9 years ago

I'd love to do beadboard behind our gas cooktop, but is that safe? Do we need to do tile there instead???

Here is one of my favorites--Pirula's kitchen (I hope she won't mind me sharing her beautiful kitchen again.) Where would we get a stainless steel splashback like this, and is it high enough?

Please show or tell me what you've got. Thanks!

Comments (13)

• jghg
    9 years ago

We are in the middle{{gwi:807}} of our remodel so it's not done yet, but we actually plan to have an opening directly behind our cooktop looking out into the living room{{gwi:807}}. Originally, I was going to have tempered glass at the opening so that the greasy smells of the kitchen don't migrate to the living area, but in the spirit of value engineering we've decided to keep the opening as a pass through. The countertop is laminate and will have a 4 inch backsplash of the same. We are planning on framing out the opening with painted 1Xs so I'm also curious as to what one should or shouldn't use.

This post was edited by jgHG on Thu, Jan 22, 15 at 0:59

• jghg
    9 years ago

That's funny I just saw your other post about your original intent to have an opening behind your cooktop:)

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I'd love to do an opening there like what you are describing, jgHG. Our main issue is that we have a heat run that goes to the second floor behind the right side of our cooktop that would make our opening rather narrow and potentially odd looking.

Since our opening could look rather strange, we're letting that idea go. I'm now wondering if we can safely do beadboard behind the cooktop or not.

• sevrm
    9 years ago

Have you considered tile that looks like beadboard?

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Sheesharee is in the process of updating her kitchen with beadboard backsplash and gel-staining her cabinets. Hopefully she will be showing her "reveal" soon. Shee - we are patiently waiting!

If you need to know more about it, you might give her a shout. Or, do a search - she posted a lot of examples and inspiration pics when she was in the planning stages of her project. She really did her homework.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a very good idea, Suellen, to do tile beadboard. I'm not having any success in searching for where to buy it. : /

I look forward to seeing Sheesharee's reveal, tuesday. Some of these reveals just can't come fast enough, LOL. There's another one I'm waiting on that's going to have cabinets painted in SW Softened Green, and I want to see it done... yesterday! I'll also contact sheesharee and see what she discovered, thanks.

Well, when all else fails, check the manual, yes? The owner's manual for our cooktop states that it needs 2 3/4" from the edge of the cooktop to combustibles behind it. If that's the case, then it should be no problem to put beadboard behind our cooktop, right? So, maybe this is a non-issue?

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Bellsmom. That's helpful.

You know...DH owns a metal break (a bending tool that he uses for trimming out windows, typically) and he has oodles of aluminum trim coil available to him b/c of his job. Would it work to do an aluminum backguard????

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

You may want to post such questions in the Appliance forum.
    It seems to me that you want to guard against flames, not heat. I don't see why aluminum wouldn't work. If it doesn't, you won't be out much. And I would like the look of it. I hate for you to have to give up the beadboard. (You will make it scrubbable won't you? Especially behind the stove?) I would much prefer the look of the wood to tile if you can do it safely7.
    And it may depend on the type and power of your back burners.
    You need someone who knows about heat, burners, and backslashes/backguards. They hangout at the Appliance Forum.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good idea, they were all helpful when I was choosing our appliances. I'll check with them. : )

• friedajune
    9 years ago

I responded more lengthily on your post on the Appliances Forum. I would be concerned about the cleanability of the wood and the beadboard grooves in a location behind the range.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

I know waterworks makes a bead board tile. You can do a google search for other types of bead board tile.

I would worry about a non-combustible surface behind the range and the cleaning. Since you are using a gas cooktop, I will worry about an opening behind the cooktop and disturbing the flames.
    Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterworks bead board tile

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

The only must-do for a backsplash behind the cooktop would be local code. Otherwise you can do what you wish.

Tile is best in general because it's heatproof and fireproof, as is stone. Stainless steel also is often used because it is a bad heat conductor and fireproof as well. Aluminum is a good heat conductor, which I would not want on a backsplash since I don't want a combustible situation there.

Subways are inexpensive and most practical. They could be made to look like a lot like beadboard, if you wanted, by coloring the grout. Grout colorant/sealer is on the link to an article about kitchen tile backsplash ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Tile Backsplash Ideas