Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threegraces

Any negatives to an undermount sink?

threegraces
14 years ago

I'm in love with the double-bowl Domsjo for looks and for the incredible price, but I also really wanted an undermount because it seems like I wouldn't get all that gunk around the sink I get now. Eww.

Is an undermount wonderful enough to warrant spending another $700 on a sink? Are there any cons to an undermount?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Domsjo

Comments (29)

• davidro1
    14 years ago

An overmount can be undermounted. It is extra work. If you have the time, great. If you don't know how, and if your installer doesn't know how, you will need to read up a bit first.

• judydel
    14 years ago

I never had an undermount sink. However, I do see a possible BIG disadvantage and I opted for another drop in.

Your granite or soapstone counters can easily chip around the edge of your undermount sink. I've heard GW posters complain about chipping around the edges and I didn't want to take the chance. It would really bother me if it happened in my kitchen, but I know others have chips and say they don't care . . . that it adds to the kitchen character or patina. Personally I think 20 years down the road undermount sinks will fade away as people realize that years of chipping around the edges really isn't that attractive.

There is a fresh thread on this subject actually http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0109021526822.html?5

Another disadvantage is if you ever want to replace the sink it's much harder (impossible?) to do so with an undermount. But I believe you can replace a drop in fairly easy.

• guppy_2009
    14 years ago

Just a point to note that replacing an undermount is not impossible, just need the right tools as many are still installed using just silicone.
    As for chipping, I've never experienced this and have had an undermount for 9 years now. I think it is a much cleaner and esthetically pleasing look.

• granite-girl
    14 years ago

I wouldn't say it's impossible to replace an undermount, but probably not very easy. I couldn't stand the gunk that collects around the rim of a top-mounted sink

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

We went with neither undermount or overmount for the problems of each of those.
    We did a flush mount! No gunk, no entrapment of sink. ours is counter depth so we do not have the skinny piece of counter at the front and back.

• brickmanhouse
    14 years ago

You can undermount the Domsjo sink-- we just did. We're using IKEA cabinets, and the sink is slotted on the bottom to sit on rails that attach to the side of the cabinet. All we did was lower the rails, and voila! The sink was lower as well. Very easy.

If you're not using IKEA cabinets, it should still be pretty easy to build a support under the cabinet to hold the sink.

• judydel
    14 years ago

bump

• threegraces
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brickmanhouse - that's great to know! Thanks so much. I guess I'd just need to show it to the installer first to see if he thinks it's doable. We're most likely using custom cabs, so maybe it will work.

Judy - I hadn't thought of those things, def something to consider. I *think* we're going with quartz which I know is harder than soapstone but could very much still chip.

It's just hard to think about paying 1K for a sink just because it's pretty. In the scheme of things, it's a drop in the bucket for a kitchen but it's still 1) just a sink 2) a thousand dollars! I have a bad habit of just adding on expenses when I'm already spending a lot..

Flush mount might be something else to consider.

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

yes, I think there are cons to an undermount.

1) Even though it's "cleaner" on the top, you can still get gunk buildup on the underside where the sink attaches to the granite. That can be harder to keep clean than the overmount.

2) With an undermount, you need to add the depth of your counter to your sink depth. Since most undermount sinks now are at least 7.5 inches, that means you are looking at 9.5 as the shallowest (some exceptions, but generally the case.) Deep sinks look great, but can be hard on your back.

3) chipping.

4) Depending on your sink placement, it's easier to fit the overmount in a space, and easier to replace. With an undermount you may need to overlap the edge on the cabinet edge for the same size as the overmount. (especially with a corner install.) That makes it virtually impossible to remove without cutting out your cabinets more.

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

Brickmanhouse, can you post a picture of your undermounted Domsjo sink?
    thanks!

• westsider40
    14 years ago

Pharoah, I'd love to see your flush mount soluton which avoided the short strip of counter in front of the sink. I'm not entirely clear. The sink dimensions would help me understand. How/where was the faucet placed, If any others have pics of pharoah's sink,l'd love to see them. I am kind of holding my decisions. The front counter strip and room for the faucet? my questions. Thanks so much.

• threegraces
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, I was so sure I wanted an undermount and now I'm not. The wealth of info here is both a blessing and a curse.

Maybe I can get a sink I want at a price a want with the overmount solution, but I would love to see pictures of brickman's undermount Domsjo and Pharaoh's flush mount.

• brickmanhouse
    14 years ago

Threegraces and Scrappy,

Here's our undermount Domsjo. It's the single bowl model (it's our prep sink) but the double bowl is constructed the same way and would undermount the same.

We're still under construction, so the photos aren't great, but they should give you a rough idea of how it looks:

• odelleo
    13 years ago

Hey Brickmanhouse, did you have any problems with the doors? I assume you just trimmed them a little to fit. Also, did you have any problems with the doors opening on the neighboring cabinets?

Could you post a pic with the doors mounted? I'd love to see the finished look. It looks great here!

Thanks!

• debrak_2008
    13 years ago

Pharoah and anyone else with a flush mount sink,

Please post pictures! I can't decide on a sink type, under, over, or flush.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"...many are still installed using just silicone."

This has never been an acceptable installation method.

While not many stone fabricators new how to cut the correct slots for bolt heads into the underside of the stone for mechanical fastening a while ago, the brackets to support the sink from the cabinet sides (or front and back) have been around forever.

For 3 cm granite it is very clean to use a woodruff style slot cut into the back side of the stone and some 1/4-20 bolts (bolt heads in the woodruff slot and nuts on the end) with regular old 'sink clips.'

With 2 m granite you can put the sink flange on top of the plywood and under the granite.
    This does make replacement a harder task, but you are going to have problems finding a new sink many years down the road that will fit the cutout in the granite anyway.

You can have an actual reveal with the granite not hanging over the sink very much, or a 'negative reveal' were the granite hangs over the edge of the sink.

Chipping is a function of granite type (some are more prone) and care in handling items in the sink.

A larger sink seems to eliminate the problem until a really oversize item needs cleaning, but if the sink is large enough for day to day thngs you should be able to avoid chipping.

• emily_mb
    13 years ago

If cost is a consideration, Amerisink (check out the web) supposedly has good(?) quality sinks at modest prices.

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

When we redid our kitchen, I used the same sink again only the undermount version. So after 25 years with the same abovemount and now under, I'd say that the look is just Sooooo much better.

As far as replacing the sink, you should go with a top quality sink that will never need replacing unless something catastrophic happens Our 25 year old Elkay (which survived helping feed 4 teenage sons) looked as good as when first installed. But I knew that with the new granite and the house going on the market eventually we needed the look of undermount.

Yes, it is a little lower (also this new sink is an inch deeper on the washing side). My husband who is very tall is bothered by it a little.

As far as chipping, we went with a slight positive reveal. The design of our sink requires this, but it's something I think I'd go with anyway as I believe it would keep you from chipping an overhanging lip when washing something large.

Really other than cost, I see no negatives!! Heres our new sink (photo pre backsplash) with the slight positive reveal.

• donaldsg
    13 years ago

I am considering the same issue: $1000 plus on an undermount or a few hundred on one of the Ikea Domsjo's (not sure about single or double - I visited the store the other day to look at cabinets and make a kitchen plan and the double sink looks massive!)

I would be wary of undermounting the Domsjo. Doesn't it also get support from sitting on top of the counter? So are the bottom supports enough? Did you beef them up beyond what comes with the mounting kit? There might be more info on this on the IkeaFans website.

The grunge factor seems to be the same with drop-in and undermount, so if the Ikea sink frees up some of your budget to buy nicer counters then it seems like a good trade-off.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

I had an undermount with granite in my last kitchen, and it had a negative reveal (granite hangs over sink edge), which does have the disadvantages annie.zz mentions: gunk builds up underneath that you can't see, and there may be a danger of chipping (either the stone or your glassware).

This time I went for an undermount with postive reveal, and it makes all the difference in the world. Everything is visible, I don't bonk glasses against the edge, and it stays very clean. Love it!

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

I have both an undermount and a drop in in my kitchen and I prefer the drop in. The under mount has a slight positive reveal because I did not want the invisible gunk factor. Undermounts still need attention to cleanliness, whether owners recognize this or not. The drop in has not had a gunk factor. The undermount has incurred one chip in the adjacent granite. No one noticed it occur. It may have happened during a plumbing repair, but we aren't absolutely sure. The sink has been here four and a half years.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

" The drop in has not had a gunk factor."

Wait till you look under the rimming trim.

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Wow. I posted my reply two hours before it showed up.

• scrappy25
    13 years ago

Brickeyeman, I'm glad this thread got bumped since I missed your picture that you posted of your undermounted domsjo! It looks GREAT! I'd love to do this. Can you post pictures of the finished cabinet with doors open and closed? When you say you lowered the rails, are those rails on the side of the cabinet or the front/back? Do you have any other support for the cabinet? Also, did you cut that wood yourself around it? It looks awesome!!

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

kitchendetective, keeping a positive reveal clean is very easy; one swipe and done. Ours is 2 years old now and has remained perfectly gunk-free:

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Right. It's the negatives I object to. Out of sight, out of mind. Also, I wipe around both of my sinks daily and I retrieve more stuff from the undermount (prep) than from the topmount (huge) in the process. I've only experienced the removal of one topmount kitchen sink--a chipped fireclay that had some sort of sealant around it (not sure what as it wasn't installed on my watch) and there was no gunk problem. I stayed at a relative's to help with a new baby and cleaned up after dinner. Regretted wiping under the joint of the undermount sink on the housekeeper's day off. Yeeuck.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Uck, I hear you, KD. Hated my negative reveal for that very reason -- plus I was constantly sharding glasses against the granite because I'd misjudge the edge as I was taking them out of the sink.

But then, I remember having to take a toothpick around the counter edge of my mom's old topmount -- also very yuck, even though she's a killer housewife.

With water and food grime present, I'm not sure there's an optimal sink solution, truthfully -- although I do really like mine. :-)

• jackie999
    13 years ago

I'm just in the process of upgrading my counters and chose granite with undermount sink. I'm glad I came upon this thread..I will be sure to specify 'positive' reveal..ie. granite cut so you see a little of the sink edge (I think I've got that right)
    My concern is I chose the gemini GE501 (double undermount) sink. When I got home and looked at the specs..each sink is 13" wide. I'm hoping it will be alright. I don't cook much, so big pots isn't a problem, I do bake so I'm thinking this will give me a few more inches of counter space - which I would like..for kneading and pastry rolling.
    My kitchen is small, so every extra inch of counterspace is a bonus.