Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajard

Anyone Regret putting in LATCHES for hardware on cabinets??

ajard
14 years ago

I need to decide on beaded white inset cabinets or non-beaded.. so I am trying to decide if I am going to use polished nickel latches for my cabinets. I am redoing a country kitchen that has a brick fireplace.. white cabs, honed carrara marble and butcher block tops.. wood floors... love the latches, but love other things too! Can you show me photos of your latches?? and are you happy with them? does anyone regret installing them

Thank you Amanda

Comments (35)

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

I have ice box latches from Cliffside Industries. They are so easy to use and so well made. Below is a photo - scroll down.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ice box latches

• donka
    14 years ago

I have latches and don't regret it for one instant. They're one of the only things that won out on the 'form over function' debate in my kitchen. I have frameless cabs though, so one side of the latch is on one cab door and the other is on the other cab door. So...if I want to get to stuff in the left side cab I have to unhitch the latch and then open the left side after opening the right, but I really don't mind at all.

My biggest complaint is that DH isn't so anal about putting the doors back in the proper config, so sometimes the right door is closed first and the left door is resting on it, but no big deal. I just go in and fix it when I see he's done that.

Here's one:

• ajard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One of my concerns is the cleaning of them as they get grimy from the hands of my 3 little toddler people. Since they are not just a simple knob to wipe clean. Maybe I can put them only on the upper cabinets. Is that odd?

• threegraces
    14 years ago

donka - are those black? Where did you find them? I'm debating between black and antique pewter but I couldn't find black latches. Thanks!

• judydel
    14 years ago

I have them on 5 cabinets and they are working out fine. I was worried about how they'd function (having to close the left door first and having to open the right door first, etc). But it hasn't been an issue. We've adjusted quite easily.

4 out of 5 of our doors with latches are double doors like the one in our sink base cabinet below. The 5th is a single door (with beaded inset) and DH is saying it will install no problem. He hasn't installed that one yet because those cabinets aren't attached to the wall yet -sigh-

• semi
    14 years ago

I think they are handsome, but find them difficult to open, especially in the morning when my fingers are stiff. I won't put them into my new kitchen because I suspect my fingers are only getting older and more crotchety!

My children also struggle to use the latch on their RH medicine cabinet. Too complex of a movement for them. Pinch, twist and pull.

• enigmaquandry
    14 years ago

I do not have them, they are very beautiful but I think they would drive me insane eventually...but then I tend to be a more "throw open and grab" cook anyway :)

• donka
    14 years ago

Yup, they're black. I got these at rejuvenation on the advice of others here who said their latches are much smoother to operate than the RH ones. They seem totally fine to me and much smoother to operate than the original antique latches I have in my house, but no surprise there :)

Rejuvenation has two sizes...mine are the small ones.

• zeebee
    14 years ago

I have icebox latches like Willowdecor's on my sink cabinet. Am still deciding if I'll put them all over in the new kitchen.

I love their heft and substantialness (is that a word?) but my elderly mother had trouble with them when she came to visit. The other consideration is that they are big and eye-catching and a design statement in themselves. Some people might rather have other elements in their kitchen stand out, not the hardware.

• threegraces
    14 years ago

donka - I checked there and I didn't see black. The darkest is ORB.

All my door hardware, light fixtures, bathroom fixtures etc in the rest of my house is from Rejuvenation (thanks previous, previous owner!) and it's great stuff.

• donka
    14 years ago

Yup, they're black. I got these at rejuvenation on the advice of others here who said their latches are much smoother to operate than the RH ones. They seem totally fine to me and much smoother to operate than the original antique latches I have in my house, but no surprise there :)

Rejuvenation has two sizes...mine are the small ones.

• threegraces
    14 years ago

Huh. They must not have black anymore. Bummer!

We have lots of the latches throughout the house (in ORB) and they are really great. I love the look.

• donka
    14 years ago

Woops...seems my blackberry reposted when I refreshed. Yup, sorry, they're ORB. They're quite black though, I don't see any bronze coming through on them, at least not yet anyways but maybe with more use.

• pps7
    14 years ago

Love the look! I'm thinking of using these in my dining built ins. These cabinets won't be used often, so I'm okay with them there. Would not put them on my everyday cabinets- would drive me nuts, plus DH is fine motor challenged!

• cotehele
    14 years ago

I just ordered cup pulls and knobs because I couldn't find CP latches at a reasonable price. Now I found these wholesale. They have black latches in turn-style and CP style.

is okay because the doors above the double ovens may have been hard to open with a latch anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wholesale Cliffside latches

• melanie1422
    14 years ago

I've got them. Someone else here recommended the Rejuvenation ones over the Restoration Hardware ones - the RH are sticky and harder to work. My Rejuvenation ones are easy and, yes, a little harder to open than a knob, but not by much. I love them & they are totally worth it.

• donka
    14 years ago

Here's a big close-up. They might be called ORB, but they definitely read black in person. I don't know if the finish will wear over time though so YMMV, but I think you could get away with mixing this with other black hardware.

• donka
    14 years ago

Ok, nevermind :) Just went and looked at my most frequently used latch cabinet and it's starting to wear down a bit.

• threegraces
    14 years ago

donka - thanks for checking out the wear. That's been my problem is finding matching latches, hinges, pulls and knobs. I can find 3 of 4 but always seem to be missing something.

dotcom - that's exactly what I want to do, and in fact, just sketched it out earlier: cups on the bottom, knobs and top and latches on the uppers. Love it!

• ajard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all... now I am skeptical... I dont want my dh and kids to get upset with the mechanics of it.

dotcomgone is the rest of your kitchen photos listed under finished kitchens, would love to see it all.

I need to decide on beaded inset or not with the cabinets... and it is based on the latches.. still thinking....

• trish21
    14 years ago

Three graces- Good luck! I really love the look too, thanks!

Ajard, we are almost finished. Just moved back into it a few days before Christmas and final finish on floors is being redone tomorrow. Still struggling over island stools and kitchen table. Will post soon. ;0) Love the look of beaded inset. We opted not to as our drawers, though inset, are flush in the center to optimize space. Have you 'google imaged'the various looks you like? I found that helped a lot!

• lesmis
    14 years ago

We love our latches, also from Rejuvenation. I didn't put them on the most frequently used cabinets, but I would reconsider that knowing what I know now. They are only on our dish pantry cabinet, but they are easy to use and I love the look!

Dotcomgone, can't wait to see more pics of your kitchen!

Kat :)

• lolauren
    14 years ago

which of the Cliffside Industries latch colors match ORB from Rejuvenation/Restoration? I'm guessing the "Old Antique" color.... but would like confirming from those who have purchased them! thanks! :)

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

I *wish* I could afford inset cabs so that I could ponder this question...LOL! For what it is worth, I once talked to an old house restorer who said that when he remodeled his kitchen, although he loved the look of latches (who doesn't!), he and his wife are getting older so he wasn't going to do them. He didn't think it was practical for the aging hand. This echoes Semi's comment.

• theriviera
    14 years ago

bumping this up.

we put latches on our cabinets but ours are frameless. they work on the double cabinets but what to do on the single cabinets? i should have thought this through before installing them.

• judydel
    14 years ago

We will be installing a latch on a single cabinet. Even though we have beaded inset my DH claims he will be able to install it on the single cabinet no problem. He already installed 3 of them on double door cabinets, so I guess he knows what he's talking about. The Rejuvenation Hardware latches are so EASY to operate, they turn with such minimal effort . . . I can't see how they'd be too difficult to operate at any age.

• ajard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Do you think they really vary each company on how easy they are to turn or they are all the same? I am contemplating putting them only over my built in desk or also on my glass doors

• judydel
    14 years ago

As many have already stated on GW, the Restoration Hardware latches are harder to turn than the Rejuvenation. I tried them both and found this to be true.

• ajard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you.

• katieob
    14 years ago

Hi.

We put twist latches on uppers (rejuvenation), cup pulls on lower drawers (RH)and latches on sink cabinet & lazy susan (Clifside Brass). Very happy with looks & function.

HTH
    Katie

• Shirley_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Wondering if anyone has installed the Martha Stewart latches? Also, I thought the latches had to have a centre post but I see from the pictures that they have been installed door to door. Are there any problems with the doors caving into the cabinet slightly when opening? Do you know what I mean?

• PamelaLS
    11 years ago

RE: Martha Stewart cabinet latches -- It might be too late to help you - just was looking for info on the Martha Stewart latches to see if anyone else's are as awful as mine. I have the polished nickel latches which look just like the ones pictured and see my picture. Bought them at Home Depot. The "knob" spun from the start. You can tighten it but it loosens on its own over time and then eventually falls off and the whole latch has to be removed to fix it. We tried adding washers to no avail. We used "locktight" and that may work, but you have to take out the mechanisms and make them pulls and not latches to make this work. I will complain to Home Depot where I got them AND Martha Stewart. They are horrible. I would just replace them all but want to first see if maybe they came up with a fix at Martha Stewart. I did get them last summer and then put them in later. Very pretty but they DO NOT WORK.

-Pamela

• PamelaLS
    11 years ago

POST WITH PICTURE: RE: Martha Stewart cabinet latches -- It might be too late to help you - just was looking for info on the Martha Stewart latches to see if anyone else's are as awful as mine. I have the polished nickel latches which look just like the ones pictured and see my picture. Bought them at Home Depot. The "knob" spun from the start. You can tighten it but it loosens on its own over time and then eventually falls off and the whole latch has to be removed to fix it. We tried adding washers to no avail. We used "locktight" and that may work, but you have to take out the mechanisms and make them pulls and not latches to make this work. I will complain to Home Depot where I got them AND Martha Stewart. They are horrible. I would just replace them all but want to first see if maybe they came up with a fix at Martha Stewart. I did get them last summer and then put them in later. Very pretty but they DO NOT WORK.

-Pamela

• ali80ca
    10 years ago

I know this is an old post, but thought I would post anyway. I am thinking of using latches on a few cabinets and my question is, how much space is between the 2 halves of latch and can they work on all style of doors? Size wise...are the ice box latches heftier?
    Thanks!