Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelcute

Small U-shaped kitchen

angelcute
13 years ago

Would like to see your U-shaped kitchen. Thanks for sharing.

Comments (20)

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

• marcy96
    13 years ago

Here's mine:
    {{gwi:1571912}}
    {{gwi:1571914}}

• cosmo_nj
    13 years ago

Note to self: upload 2 year old pictures of small u-shaped kitchen remodel.

• angelcute
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the pics, maybe I will get more photos. I nees to take a pic of mine so I can get sime help from you guys.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

Here is my first *really small*, U Shaped kitchen: The third side held the fridge, period.

Here is a U I did for someone else:

And another (unfinished) U: I like U's even though they create two issues with corner access. With this kitchen one corner is accessed from the adjacent area on the other side of the counter. Overall I find them very efficient and in some small houses it makes sense to have the kitchen proper be a dead end rather than a walk through

• steff_1
    13 years ago

This kitchen was a two wall galley turned into a u-shape. It worked out quite well and added a lot of storage and counter space.

• gingerjars
    13 years ago

Timely post. We have a contract on a house with a small u-shape kitchen that we will re-do. I would also like to see more pics. Really, like the pics posted.

• biochem101
    13 years ago

Hi Angel! - I don't usually post any more as I did my kitchen in '08. But I check in now and then to see if any new ones are posted, and oogle them. :)

Mine is an Open U-shape, that's with a peninsula on one side. Rather unusual these days where most opt for islands. I have consequently amassed quite a collection of photos of Open U-shape's. Just a personal favorite. :)

If this style interests you, my photos are divided by: stained wood, ivory/glazed, white. I could give you traditional or asian. Low-end or high-end. What would you like to see? (Putting them ALL up is out of the question!)

I'll check back later for responses.

Cheerio!

• Laurie
    13 years ago

Here's some pics of ours:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• angelcute
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Biochem...I would love to see the photos that you have for Traditional kitchens. My kitchen size looks alot like the pic that Steff posted, just my kitchen is really old.

thanks for all the post.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

angelcute, really old doesn't have to mean it's bad. Do you have to rip everything out or is it possible to use your cabinets or anything? I spent money to get the old look!

• steff_1
    13 years ago

angelcute, share some pictures with us and let's see what you have to work with.

The kitchen in my picture is new primarily because the original kitchen had a dysfunctional layout and the cabinets were not that great to begin with. The house was built in 1967 and little had changed in 40 years. This was the home of elderly relative and the goal was to sell the house quickly. That kitchen was just 95" wide and 9' long.

In my kitchen I am keeping the cabinets and updating where needed because the layout was fine and the cabinets only need refinishing. With a few other changes like new counters, I'll have the kitchen that works for me.

Old can be good, just look at how we love the kitchen in It's Complicated and other vintage kitchens we see. I'm sure we can give you some ideas too.

• biochem101
    13 years ago

Well, if your kitchen is like Steff's, then my photos wouldn't really apply. Mine are like Marcy's and Laurie's, all with one side open across a peninsula to a dining area. You are looking for small completely enclosed spaces, it seems.

That's why I asked first. :)

Good Luck! Small Kitchens can be beauitiful too!

• biochem101
    13 years ago

Here are two very small enclosed U-shapes you might use. The second one has the fridge somehow recessed into the wall, which might make it protrude into the next room? If you can box in a corner of the room next door (maybe create a small closet next to it) you might try that.

If this will be your home for a fairly long time though, you might really consider opening up a wall.

A very small but interesting kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog is Bouquets (link below).

Here is a link that might be useful: Bouquet's Kitchen

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

This last kitchen looks like a NYC apartment kitchen. Rather than the fridge being fully recessed, that tiled wall in the corner is probably partly structure, partly pipe chase.

Most of the kitchens in my building have some kind of corner like this for vents and plumbing to and from other kitchens. Here, they were able to use it to their advantage.

• weissman
    13 years ago

I have a U-shaped kitchen. You can see my pictures on the Finished Kitchens Blog. There used to be a direct link on my GW homepage, but it seems to have disappeared for some reason.

• dianesowen
    8 years ago

Same shape as mine, same current layout.

• Buehl
    8 years ago

Huh?? Why are you posting on a thread over 4 years old???

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

I miss Boxerpups :(

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County