Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katieob_gw

Make me brave enough to use this tile.....

katieob
12 years ago

Hi all.

We ended up with Danby marble counters on the perimeter after all the Caesarstone talk. I just can't commit to NOT having any marble in this kitchen. This has to be the only forum on the planet where that sentiment makes any sense, right?

My plan was to do Walker Zanger Gramercy Park subways in 2 by 6. Cabs will be inset, White Dove, glass front. Hardware will be polished nickel. Island will also be White Dove with a thick block of walnut on top.

But then, this. WZ Ashbury in Powder Blue.

I LOVE it. Is it too whimsical for me? Should I play it safe with the subways?

I need to decide asap.

Thank you!! I can't wait to be finished & I appreciate your opinions.

Katie

Comments (54)

• lascatx
    12 years ago

That is really pretty tile. I might well have used it if I had seen it, but I bet it wasn't around then. I was going to say you could just do the splash behind your cooktop and use subways for the rest, but a run of that tile really plays it off the best and the color is so soft that it isn't too much.

You know if you are a blue person or not, and that would be my only question. If blue is your color, go for it!

• sas95
    12 years ago

Do it. The tlies will make your kitchen.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

If you do a white kitchen with marble these days and you aren't just after the OTK look, you need something that makes it your own. That tile will do it.

Unless the one in the photos is in your neighborhood. ;)

• hatethecold_gw
    12 years ago

i think this is beautiful- use it!

• melissastar
    12 years ago

do it, do it, do it, do it. It adds an element of surprise to a classic kitchen.

• westtoeast
    12 years ago

LOVE!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

sweet!!!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

I love it!

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

Katie...go for it! Especially if you plan to be in the house for awhile...even though I don't think this tile would turn buyers off at all! It's not like it's purple polka dots....it.is subtle and elegant! Really pretty and more interesting than subways.....

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I've always loved that picture, so I'm a definite "yes" vote!

P.S.

I was expecting something scary - this tile gave me no pause at all.

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Another vote for the beautiful tile--just do it! As others have said, it will take your kitchen to the next level (ultimate kitchen).

• marthavila
    12 years ago

Do it. By all means, just do it!

• greenhousems
    12 years ago

Go for it! It's a nice change.

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

Do it!!!! I can't ever see getting tired of this field tile. Such an easy to live with blue!!!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Ouhh...ouhh!! I've posted that tile before as a possibility! I love it so much. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to use it after reading a few blogs about how the popular moroccan shape will read so 2010-ish in the near future. But I also don't want to use the subs. Fortunately, I can take all the time I want to decide now. Anyway, they are stunning tiles! If you use it then can see how it would look in a kitchen similar to mine before I decide. What? Not fair? ;)

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

LOVE that tile. Go for it!

• nini804
    12 years ago

Oooohhh! So pretty! Do it! Does it come in other colors?

• kitchenkrazed09
    12 years ago

Oh, please use that tile. It's so gorgeous. Also like the Blue Shadow color and think that would work well too.

• mastiffmom_85
    12 years ago

Please use them!! I love them and wanted to use them so badly in my in-progress OTK, but the color wasn't exactly what I needed. I was sad. :(

I vote a very enthusiastic YES. And, so glad you've chosen the marble. It makes perfect sense to me.

~MM

• mobydog
    12 years ago

LOVE the tile. I say go for it!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

breezy---what blogs? Maybe they are just jealous that they were not brave enough to try it. Or clever enough to think of it.......

ok, I'm not so clever.....I won it in a contest and decided it looked great so I'd go with it. It found me, not the other way around.

But who are these nay-saying-bloggers that are diss'n my backsplash?

• drainbead
    12 years ago

LOVE love LOVE it!

• sas95
    12 years ago

I don't necessarily think that tile will read 2010-ish any more than anything else people are putting in their kitchens now. We had ceramic tiles just like that on our foyer floor in the 1970s. It's a lovely tile that will look lovely now and in the future.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I'm so sick of subway tiles -- unless they have some unexpected feature such as an interesting glaze.

I think you'd be nutty not to use this. I'd be willing to bet if you didn't, you'll still be talking about it in 20 years.

It's fabulous and on my monitor, a beautiful color.

Christine

• prill
    12 years ago

Katie - no questions. That's beautiful! If I'd seen that when I was doing my kitchen, that would be mine... Everyone has subways.
    So glad you're using marble again.

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

Gorgeous. Go for it!!!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Absolutely you should use that beautiful tile! The unique shape is so much more interesting than subways. And the powder blue will look beautiful with gorgeous marble countertops.

• babs711
    12 years ago

It's gorgeous! And I've also been eyeing those up for my own kitchen! I have one of those pics you posted pinned on my kitchen ideas Pinterest board! Breezy and I can use you as our ginuea pig! LOL!

Seriously, they're beautiful. It's so much easier to talk others into doing something than to actually bite the bullet and take the risk yourself, right? If you're like me, you're thinking that committing to a color on the backsplash is a big deal and that if you just do color on the walls, you can change it later. But those are seriously lovely. I've been looking at those and the Solistone Mardi Gras Carrollton tiles someone posted here a while back (those seem so appropriate since I live in New Orleans and all!). But again - committing to a color on the backsplash is a huge deal for me.

I think they'll be lovely! Keep us posted!

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

That's a lovely color and a beautiful tile. It has personality and good looks. What's not to love?

also Katie

• dragonfly08
    12 years ago

That last photo was is also one of my inspiration photos!! Do it!! It's so beautiful and elegant and I love the color!! It will go fabulously with the rest of your kitchen, I have no doubt!

For some reason, whenever I showed that photo to my friends, they all cringed. I could not find anyone who even liked it in the kitchen. And these were friends who had a range of tastes. Doesn't matter, though, because I still love it! And I doubt any of them are on GW!

• kellienoelle
    12 years ago

I love those, on my monitor it almost reads a Tiffany blue, and what gal doesn't like Tiffany blue. If you worry about every little thing reading "insert year here", your kitchen risks being void of personality. I would steal the idea from you, but don't know how well they would go with darkly stained cherry cabinets and a yet to be determined counter. Makes me wish I had white cabinets with marble to play with.

Babs - I am eyeing those Mardi Gras tiles too. I went to Lowes to check them out, but my local doesn't carry them. What color are you eyeing?

• kaysd
    12 years ago

That tile is so elegant and serene. It adds a touch of color and texture without screaming. Walnut, white, soft blue and silver (whether nickel, SS or chrome) is a lovely color palette. I really want to do that color scheme in my own kitchen if I can find the right materials for a modern kitchen. With your cabinet style and other materials, I would use those tiles in a heart beat.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

None of us can give you the courage to gird up your loins and slap the fear mongering bugaboo of "resale" smack dab in the face. However, if that is the only thing holding you back from getting this tile, then know that about an hour and a half with a flat bladed scraper will remove tile from the walls and then another 24 hours later and you can have the cheapest and most boringist tile on the planet installed instead. But, I wouldn't do that. Even for resale. This tile works great with your other choices design wise, and it will give the kitchen a bit of positive personality that the all too commonly boring white on white kitchens do not have while not jumping out out you as inappropriate within the context of the rest of the house. Especially if you use white and blue elsewhere in the home. It will look like it belongs. You're not talking fluorescent hot pink tiles here!

Be not afraid!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

If you are going to do something you might want to change or are afraid could get dated too quickly for you, a light fixture or tile splash are about the easiest things to change in the kitchen other than the wall paint. And if you love it, who cares? It's your kitchen. And I really don't think that many people are secure enough to be installing a gorgeous color arabesque tile that it will become so dated, especially with that color.

I did white kitchen with marble and subways before it was on all the magazine covers and my earliest regret was seeing how much that look got repeated. Now that may be the look that becomes dated, but at least I did the blue wall, the cherry and the triple liner inset in the splash. If you personalize it, it will stay fresher.

• lovetorenovate
    12 years ago

oooh, it's beautiful! I'd love to use that.

• Gigi_4321
    12 years ago

I understand your hesitation to use this tile (but please do so I can see if it might work for my kitchen!) Is there an isolated area that you can use it as a focal point, then decide if you want to use it on the whole kitchen? Also, see what it looks like set horizontally, I think it would look less moroccanish. Let us know what you decide!

• katieob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everybody !!!!!

I was brave~I ordered it today.

I'm crossing my fingers and toes that it looks good. This is our forever house, so resale isn't a problem. And I don't mind about the "so 2010" thing. It was a pretty good year for our family, so that's okay :)

I REALLY appreciate you all taking the time to chime in. Very helpful input.

Best,
    Katie

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

YAY!!!!

You go girl!

It's going to look incredible.

Bee

• Ann Scheley
    12 years ago

Can't wait to see it!!!!

• chris11895
    12 years ago

Yay! I can't wait to see the finished kitchen - that tile is going to look gorgeous!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Yay!!!

• kellienoelle
    12 years ago

Ohhh....so happy for you katie! It really is beautiful and I bet you absolutely love it!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I'm glad you did. If it looks as good in person as the photo, you're going to love it. So often the things that are different make all the difference.

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

I love it! Can't wait to see it : )

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I vote to push you off the cliff so you can soar
    like an Eagle.

GO FOR IT KATIE!!!
    It will be stunning. Be Brave.
    ~boxerpups

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

katie, katie, katie ...YES! i think it's only natural to move on from what you've already done. and i see a definite relationship between the tile and (of all things) the faucet. or is it just me? -but the faucet has this utilitarian/modern vibe going on which really works well with the contemporary/exotic nature of the tile. it's an elegantly restrained fusion that REALLY works.

but it's scary and i definitely get that. trust me. i STILL don't have a BS and i might never. i just hope that when the right one comes along, i have the guts to go with it.

good luck, girlie. i'm voting YES. and i can't wait to see the finish!!!

• kateskouros
    12 years ago

i went back and finally figured out that this is not your kitchen.
    whatever. i STILL love the tile!

• hartntex
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@katieob I've just stumbled onto this thread and we have the exact same taste. I'm just redoing our kitchen after 19 years. Thought long and HARD about using Danby but I'm going to do it. Also, thought about WZ Gramercy park in Wedgewood. I would love to see pics of your finished kitchen because I can't view in format used here. Also would love to see your sink, faucet, and backsplash in particular. Thanks in advance.

• June E
    6 years ago

I LOVE it! and, out of everything in a kitchen i feel like a backsplash is an accessory - you can change it if you ever tire of it.

• June E
    6 years ago

haha - i just realized this is a super old thread - and i still love the tile

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!