Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carsonheim_gw

What color for counters????

carsonheim
9 years ago

I posted this further in the thread on cabinet glazing, but thought the topic would probably be better as a stand alone thread.

Trying to decide on counters. Had all along wanted to do white marble, however with the color choices in my kitchen I'm now thinking that it would be too pale....

Walls: BM Putnam Ivory at 50% strength (these images show full strength; it'll be a bit lighter)
Trim and Cabinets: BM Navajo White
Ceiling: BM Palladian Blue
Floors: Hickory with medium stain

Here's a look at a corner of the kitchen using the BM color visualizer tool. Clearly, I need a LOT of help with that tool, but you get the idea....

Which do you prefer, and why? THanks!

{{gwi:2134906}}

{{gwi:2134905}}

Comments (14)

• enduring
    9 years ago

Don't like the white at all. The black is a little too dark. Can you find one that is on the darker side yet not quite this stark?

• romy718
    9 years ago

What about white perimeter counters & a rich wood top for your island? Pretty cabinetry & I love the blue ceiling.

• User
    9 years ago

Blue marble.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I can't believe one would pick countertops by color.

• Danell Hiltz
    9 years ago

I like the white, it feels more open and airy. The black is way too dark. Have tried something in the gray family?

• Brensters
    9 years ago

Trebruchet. I think carsonheim is trying to get a visual feel for continuity vs. contrast with the tonal values within her kitchen elements using a paint colour tool.
    When it comes to important decisions, it doesn't matter what you use as long as the end result is a solid whole hearted decision, and then you can just breath... and relax.
    This is a tough one. One usually highly prefers one over the other. I have been surfing the net for years looking at white period style kitchens. Both looks are so beautiful. I personally love both but have a slight preference for contrast. A dark counter with white/cream cabinets. The light counters (marble) do give a dreamy nature to it though. If marble was your original idea, I would trust it and stay with it. I wouldn't be afraid of so many light colours. When there is a lot of texture and visual interest, it will not look stark. The blue ceiling and wood floors will add sufficient color, and marble does have plenty of pattern with it's veining.
    If you are really undecided, you should surf the net for as many examples of each as possible. Save them to "favorites" on your PC and look at them one morning when you are well rested, and note your reaction to each photo.
    Hope this helped a little. :)

• Katie S.
    9 years ago

Can you try Caesarstone pebble?

• BirchPoint
    9 years ago

I'm wondering if calacatta marble wouldn't be warmer than the white paint you have used? A warm marble would work in my opinion. I would also second Enduring's suggestion of a grayer option like soapstone. I can also picture Fantasy Brown which is a marble but less prone to staining than some.

• Kanga
    9 years ago

How about keeping the perimeter light and topping the island with a dark stained butcher block? I LOVE this look!

Ps...love your cabinets, BTW!

• diymom79
    9 years ago

I think the marble will keep it fresh. Maybe find one with a lot of movement in it. Or I'd go with a grey tone also. Good luck!

• phillyfeet
    9 years ago

Not sure if this helps, but I thought I wanted a quatz that looked like white marble with or cabinets. The cabinets are creamy colored and the white made it too yellow. I ended up using a quatrz with greys, white, taupe. It is much busier than I though I would want, but I do think it works well with off white cabinets. I took the cabinet sample to the distributer of the quatrz so I could see the full slabs

• LE
    9 years ago

I like the contrastier options, but it's just a different look. Love your blue ceiling!

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. DH and I visited granite yard yesterday. I think what we are going to do is carerra marble on perimeter counters, and antique brown on the island.

I really appreciate the input!

• Brensters
    9 years ago

That is a wonderful choice. So glad that you stuck with your original dream kitchen look. The antique brown will add some tone and color, and you will have plenty of your beloved marble. :)

Sponsored
Vivancos Trim LLC
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Loudoun County's Artfully Crafted General Contractor