Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzyg215

need a good creamy white benjamin moore color to paint cabinets.

Suzy
14 years ago

can anyone recommend a creamy white for kitchen cabinets?

Comments (36)

• rhome410
    14 years ago

We have BM Lancaster White (or I've also seen it listed at Lancaster Whitewash) on our island (shown below), and in our sewing room and kids' rooms. I think it's a nice creamy color, but it seems there are SO many that people love.

Mamadadapaige also used the Lancaster for her kitchen. --Oh, I now see she used Lancaster Whitewash for her baseboards and trim, which she says matches her cabinet color. See the link below to her page in the Finished Kitchens Blog and you can click on the link there for more photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mamadadapaige's kitchen in the FKB

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Simply White is a much more creamy white but it looks fairly white when used all over.

• vanisleevt
    14 years ago

Acadia White is nice creamy white. jbrodie's beautiful kitchen is done in this color.

• megpie77
    14 years ago

I like Benjamin Moore linen white and soft chamois.

Here is a link that might be useful: creamy whites

• artemis78
    14 years ago

The trim in our house is all BM Acadia White (AC-41). I love it---very creamy, and looks great with a wide range of other shades. (One of my big gaffes as a first-time homeowner was trekking to the BM paint store two years back and asking for a can of their "white paint" to patch some spots, though....have learned a lot since then! ;)

• yesdear
    14 years ago

BM Lemon Chiffon is an antique creamy white that we haven't seen mentioned. Nice contrast to our soapstone counters. (see the link...)

Here is a link that might be useful: This Old House magazine feature

• Suzy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

so what do people think of dove white & mayonnaise?

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

Dove white is a perennial favorite; you can probably find quite a few cabinet photos in the finished kitchens blog.

I like Soft Chamois for a true non-yellow white, if you're working with grays or blues.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Linen by BM and the green is SilverSage by RH

Cloud White BM

Mayonaise BM (I love this color in person)

Bone White BM

Calming Cream BM

Rich Cream BM

• arlosmom
    14 years ago

Mine are soft chamois (BM oil based Impervo) and I'm really happy with the color. Creamy and warm without yellow or pink undertones.

{{!gwi}}

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

I used Ancient ivory in my laundry room.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• prill
    14 years ago

i'v got Benj. Moore White Dove...

make sure to get some samples in try them in your house. The light makes a huge difference in how they look. Most of the time mine looks whiter than I would think.

• nancyaustin
    14 years ago

We have BM Navajo White in our laundry room and half bath. It is a rich creamy white. No photos yet because the electricity hasn't been hooked up yet.

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Peytonroad...I want your laundry room! :)

• amberley
    14 years ago

I started painting all of my new windows/casing last year with BM Marscapone. It is a GREAT creamy white. It is very rich and goes with so much. It is Pottery Barn's current Spring 2010 color deck (I think it was in the Spring 2009 one too). I LOVE this color.

• jeri
    14 years ago

They all look great  how does anyone make a decision???

I want PeytonRoadÂs laundry room too! :)

• peytonroad
    14 years ago

Ah thanks guys, I do love it!

• judydel
    14 years ago

We have Cloud White (as opposed to White Cloud).

• kitchenconfidential2
    14 years ago

Mayonaise is very creamy and clean looking.

• techmom1
    14 years ago

Great thread for me - but not sure what everyone means by "creamy" - I'm trying to find a soft, warm white but not yellow-y - floor is hardwood, appliances are stainless and granite is Verde Butterfly. Thoughts?

• zelmar
    14 years ago

We used BM Vanilla Ice Cream on the beadboard in our powder room. It has a lot of yellow in it. I'm very happy with it.

My daughter helped choose the color....maybe the name had something to do with it :-) (actually she has a much better color sense than I do---she's about to graduate with a degree in studio art.)

{{!gwi}}

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

Cali Wendy and Nancyaustin, what did you paint your trim when you used linen and navaho? I am going to use SW creme, which looks similar to me to linen white, but don't know what to do with trim, doors, etc.

• natashak
    14 years ago

I had BM Linen white on my cabinets and love it, but also love many colors above.

• hmdennis
    14 years ago

Our cabinets and trim are Dove White. It looks whiter in the pictures than they seem in person.

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Lucretzia, we also painted our doors, crown, base and casing BM Linen white. Our painter used a cheaper brand of paint that he said was BM Linen, but it is slightly more "white" than the cabinetry. Some of that could also be due to the fact that the cabinets are a lacquer finish as well and trim is water-based.

Our painter was awful. All of the caulking around the crown is cracking and he was really sloppy. Eventually I will repaint everything one room at a time and I'll use "real" BM Linen and see if is a closer match to the cabs.

Until then, the fact that they don't match doesn't really bother me.

• macybaby
    14 years ago

We just bought a gallon in Chantilly Lace to paint the cabinets for the laundry room. I'd like to know what type of BM paint others have used. We bought the Waterborne Satin Impervo 100% acrylic Low Lustre Enamel. It is suppose to have better flow and leveling qualities than the regular paint.

I've never used any BM products before so I'm interested in seeing how this works out. I'm also using my new spayer for the first time - we'll see how that works out too!

Cathy

• artemis78
    14 years ago

We use the regular Satin Impervo to patch odd spots in our trim and built-in cabinetry---they were originally painted with another BM oil-based cabinet paint that isn't in their product line anymore, and they recommended that as the best alternative/match. I was happy with how smoothly it went on. (We started out trying to color-match and use a no-VOC cabinet and trim paint by another company, and it looked awful...so I begrudgingly went back to BM and got this instead, but have to admit that it worked much better!) Their Aura line had just come out at the time and the semi-gloss version wasn't available yet, but I have heard since then that it's a good alternative too, and better than many of the other green paint options out there. We'll probably go with that line for our new kitchen.

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

CaliWendy,
    Your kitchen is lovely. What is the counter material, and what did you do on the floor?

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Thanks Lucretzia! The counters are Colonial Gold honed granite. Our floors are white oak. We loved our floor guy. He stained the floors a light color and then applied a glaze to darken them to the color I wanted. Doing it that way minimized the heavy grain to the oak and I really like the end result. :) Makes up for the lame painter, I guess! :)

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

CaliWendy, Does the honed granite hold up well? It works so well with your cabinets in terms of color and style and eliminates the shininess issues some of us have with polished surfaces.

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

Lucretzia, it has been about 5 months and so far, so good.

We also have a dry bar adjacent to our dining room and the granite guys forgot to seal it! We got red wine stains on it right away...it is a bar after all! :)

I managed to get them out with bleach...thank goodness...and hubby ran to the hardware store to buy a sealer and we sealed it right away.

We also spilled wine on the island (which was sealed) and it wiped up easily...no problem. So, I assume as long as it is kept sealed, we should be ok.

Not only is our granite honed, but it is also pitted in some areas. It is pretty cool and we get lots of positive comments about how unique it is.

The only problem so far with the pitting is when my 4-year old daughter paints at the bar, I have had to use a little brush to get paint out of one of the "pits" already. No biggie, but if the counter was polished, it wouldn't be an issue at all. We had polished at our last house and it was super easy to keep clean.

That said, I would do honed again in a minute. It really suits our space. I think as long as we maintain the sealer on it we should be fine. The good part is due to the movement of the stone, even if it does get a stain, it will probably blend right in! :)

• monakitchen
    14 years ago

My cabinetmaker made up a mix of color somewhere in between BM Dune White and BM White Down. It came out very creamy. More creamy than I was hoping for, but still a pleasure to look at.

• sc_kathyc
    14 years ago

So, if you have BM Linen White as your ceiling color, what would you use for a cabinet color?

Our ceilings are already painted and I have to pick out the cabinet and trim color. I really do like the Linen white, but it wouldn't look right to have the ceilings, cabinets and trim in the same color would it? Has anyone done that?

• cali_wendy
    14 years ago

I always paint my ceilings a 25% version of my wall color so that my crown stands out, but the ceilings are still light and airy.

• terrencecurl
    12 years ago

I too am looking for that perfect "white" for my kitchen cabinets. I have a mixture of greyish white quartzite counter tops, durango travertine floors, dark walnut island and refrigerator panels. I am mixing cool tones and warm tones and, hopefully, not making a huge mistake! I love the Siematic Magnolia White colored cabinets. Does anyone know what that white would be equivalent to in the Benjamin Moore line?