Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burbmomoftwo_gw

Kitchen Floorplan for Review - 2015 Edition

burbmomoftwo_gw
9 years ago

Posted floorplan from my new architect in the home forum (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg0101570416726.html?4), but wanted some Kitchen Advice, so headed here.

Kitchen/Nook is the only eating space in the house, so plan is to put a table similar to the island size (3'6" x 7'0") in the Nook 'centered' towards the Family Room. A lot of flexibility to move it around in the Nook space. And goal was to put it in the Hearth Room for larger gatherings (after we move the Fireplace :) )

Any thoughts on the layout of the Kitchen regarding appliances, island and Pantry? The Kitchen seems roomy. Not sure what to do with the large area (4+ x 4+) outside of the pantry near where the hallway entrance is.

Thanks for comments.

Comments (6)

• jennifw
    9 years ago

It does seem roomy.

I would probably put a pocket door on the pantry. With the microwave there, it seems like a door problem. I would ask about the 4x4 area. Seems empty to me. The only other thought is that the fridge seems far away from the cooking and prep areas.

• sena01
    9 years ago

You may have difficulty opening the fridge door or use drawers right next to a wall.

I agree that fridge would be far from the range. Maybe you can move it to where the MW is (with a 12" wide tall pullout pantry cab b/w the wall and fridge) and add a prep sink to the island.

If you don't have particular plans for the empty area b/w the pantry and the entry, you may have a reach in pantry using that empty area and make the island a little longer (keeping 60-65" in front of the pantry) and move one of the seats there, instead of having 3 seats at the same side.

Will you have DO and a range or is it a rangetop? If you don't need the DO and the range(top) close to each other moving the DO to where you now have the fridge may be a good option. That way you can have landing for fridge and MW at a close-by spot in the arrangement I'm suggesting (assuming MW is in a tall cab).

• burbmomoftwo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the picture we provided to architect about the layout of the kitchen. It's flipped in the floorplan, and we didn't want 'booth' seating, but layout is close to what the picture shows.

• szruns
    9 years ago

If you keep your pantry that shape, I'd look at making the door in-swing. In a roomy pantry, I'd rather deal with losing the floorspace inside the pantry to doorswing that have the door cluttering up the kitchen itself. That's what I did with my pantry (5x7) and I am totally glad I did so. The pantry door is often ajar, and I wouldn't want it in my workspace.

What to do with the 4x4 space? Well, you could just make the pantry a bit wider, and move the door down that direction, making the door less trouble in your workzone by the microwave. Or, you could put a 4" cabinet run there, maybe making it a serving area? That's probably what I'd do. You don't have any convenient counter and cabinets near the island and table areas to serve on (other than the island itself). I'd be inclined to put 4 ft of uppers and lowers, probably dedicating the uppers to a wine rack (I like the big X shaped cubbies) and glass fronted cabinets for liquor and glassware storage, with large drawers on the lowers (because you can never have too many drawers). dedicated to linens (for the dining table) and serving dishes.

• Mistman
    9 years ago

I'd pocket the pantry door also, I wouldn't want an inswing, blocks too much space inside when opened. I also think the fridge be too far from the work space. Others have made good comments.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I think Sena's tweaks make the space so much more functional and efficient. And I think it's always good to have the prep/cook areas as separate as possible from the clean-up area so multiple people can be working without traffic problems.

If you don't need that big of a pantry, I was thinking you could do the hutch as Sena indicated and then put the DO's here:

{{gwi:2138629}}

I like the idea of having a hutch near the clean-up area and nook/dining areas for your pretty serving dishes and such. It would be convenient and just add a nice look to the space. And since ovens don't typically need careful watching, it's not inconvenient to have them a few steps out of the main cooking area. This also gives you more counter space in the prep/cook area. I don't think anybody has ever complained about having more counter.

You have a great space to work with and I think your home is going to be lovely and inviting.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm