Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dorch155

New Kitchen Layout - Feedback wanted

dorch155
9 years ago

Looking for feedback on this kitchen design. The wall of windows is a change to the house - the architect wanted to open up the space and make it brighter. However, I'm concerned about using a downdraft vent for the cooktop as I've read negative reviews on them.

Any comments or suggestions?

Comments (10)

• dorch155
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a pic that's hopefully more clear.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Do you cook a lot or is this a more for looks kitchen?

Is this a kitchen that has to fit in an old house space?

Personally I would see if that cooktop could be put on the island even if that meant loosing the seating since the island chairs are so close to the dining table anyway.

I understand when working with an old building things might not be able to be put where we want them, but I think I would consider something a bit different

• dorch155
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, this house is 100 years old so the original kitchen space is very tight and this is why we are opening it up to the dining room.

I do cook a lot and I have 3 young kids so I hesitate to put the cooktop in the island.

Any other thoughts on overall flow or where to put the cooktop?

• dorch155
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, this house is 100 years old so the original kitchen space is very tight and this is why we are opening it up to the dining room.

I do cook a lot and I have 3 young kids so I hesitate to put the cooktop in the island.

Any other thoughts on overall flow or where to put the cooktop?

• Kippy
    9 years ago

That is a tough one. I can relate to a 100 year old house with a kitchen there is NO good plan for too. Mine ends up with the "main" entry to the house running right down the middle and doors everywhere you don't want them. And if I want a dishwasher it can not be open and use the range....

• llucy
    9 years ago

I don't think I'd want to walk back and forth so far from the kitchen proper to put things in/ take hot things out of the oven stack. Maybe put the ovens across from the fridge where the tall cabinet is now? Or move the fridge to that space and put the ovens where you show the fridge?

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

I don't think opening up the space to the dining room is helping you at all. Nor is adding the huge bank of windows. Not from a functionality sense, or from a financial perspective. It's not a good return on the investment. If you're gonna have a 100K+ to +++ kitchen renovation, this isn't it.

Now what would make sense is opening up the pantry to the kitchen so that was all the kitchen proper. The bay as a desk is a nice fantasy, but it won't pass the reality of getting used. However, that woud be an ideal spot for a cleanup zone.

• Liz
    9 years ago

what are the wall-to-wall dimensions? This kitchen (including the pantry) doesn't look that small to me.

Also, can the exterior door move? It seems to be in a high-traffic spot right now- could it scoot into the mudroom, pantry, or living room, or even to the mudroom side of that run?

As drawn, I would really want a sink in the pantry area, and ideally a d/w too. And the bay-window side of the pantry... guessing on dimensions, but I'd think a straight across cabinet run- with deeper counter in the deepest part of the bay- would be better than the circular desk space you have drawn.

• tracie.erin
    9 years ago

I have a couple of rough ideas for you. I like the last one best. We really need the dimensions, though, to confirm if anything works.

Option 1 (this should have a prep sink on the left side of the island):
    {{gwi:2138611}}

Option 2:
    {{gwi:2138612}}

Option 3a:
    {{gwi:2138613}}

Option 3b:
    {{gwi:2138614}}

• Illhhi
    9 years ago

Out of curiosity...What is currently in the working pantry / desk area?

If this was me, I would not want a huge wall of windows. A triple unit would let in a huge amount of light but still allow wall space for some cabinetry, venting etc

This post was edited by illhhi on Wed, Jan 28, 15 at 12:34