Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rtmom2

to those who line their shelves

rtmom2
15 years ago

My kitchen is know finished (except for blacksplash, to be done at end of week) and of course I am more than ready to put everything back in those cabinets. I went out looking at shelf liners (even though my husband thinks that covers the wood interior) and brought 2 rolls to start. At first I wanted cork, but that turned out to have an adhesive, instead a brought a beige spongey kind (don't know what it was called) at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I then came across cork without an adhesive at Williams and Sonoma for $20 a roll of 12 ft (I paid $6 for 5 ft). Wanted to know if anyone has ever tried cork or this product. Also do you line the pantry or just the upper cabinets?

Comments (27)

• morton5
    15 years ago

This time around I am using the plastic shelf liner from Ikea as well as some ribbed, clear plastic liner from Target. Since both are plastic and not adhesive, I am hoping that they may be my last shelf liner purchase for a while, if I can wash them. They curled a bit when I first put them down, but no more. I really like the Ikea liner in drawers-- keeps stuff from shifting around.

I looked at the spongey stuff but did not like that it is slightly tacky (in feel).

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

once again ikea has the best solution. we have used it in all drawers.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80012853
    Not sticky but keep things in place.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I have the cork from WS and Ikea liners. I personally like the cork better. I though the cork would be hard to clean but when I feel like I should clean it, I remove it and shake it out. Nothing really penetrates it. I find the Ikea one harder to clean because of the ridges. I end up washing the ikea ones in the sink first. I found a source for the Cork liners a while back and it was much cheaper than WS. They are used for flooring underlayment so you may want to do a search. The Cork roll takes about half a day to uncurl but once uncurled, they are great. You don't need anything to stick it down it just stays put.

Good luck!

• datura-07
    15 years ago

I've tried every kind, even from Ikea but I like the Cushy Cupboard much better.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

I have the ribbed plastic liner (got it from Linens N Things). I love it. Clear, so you still see the wood (which it would have killed me to hide). Went and checked and don't have the box anymore- so I forget the exact brand. It was expensive, but I put it in my Pots and Pans drawers, under the sink (already useful, cuz sink leaked! am I glad I had it there!), and in my baking drawers.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I used the Cushy Cupboards knockoff (both the brand at BB&B and the Target brand are made by the same company) for some shelves. In the pantry I used clear vinyl, which I bought by the yard at Jo-Ann and cut to fit. I liked it better than the ribbed stuff. It comes in various weights/thicknesses. I think mine was $4.99/yard.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

raehelen,
    The product I believe is LifeLiner from BB&B.

Good luck!

• paulines
    15 years ago

I used the cushy under rug padding in our dish and p & p drawers, it's inexpensive and does a good job of securing the dish/cookware. We used cork as lining in our knives/cutting board drawer, we used a thin cotton towel to line the silver drawer and cutlery and cooking gadgets go into divided trays. This has worked well for the last 4 years or so and I recommend this to clients. Here's some pics, hope this helps-

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Homepro- you're right! LifeLiner it is. Not sure where I can buy it now in Canada since LNT has gone, but I recommend it, and when I get my new bathroom vanities, will definitely put it in the 'toothpaste' drawer and under the sink.

• mari_joan
    15 years ago

I have been using the clear flexible cutting boards that I bought at our local discount store. They come about 15x18 and are easy to cut to size. They are perfect for the upper cabinets but if I want to use them under the sink, I will have to piece two together. If any one knows where to buy this material in large sheets, let me know!

• rtmom2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

homepro01

I brought the Williams and Sonoma cork lining, actually got it down to $16 for 12 ft. Anyway as I am using it, it doesn't lie flat like the BBB spongey kind. Wanted to use it on my shelves you could see, because I thought it looked nice. Will flatten out? I hope so, brought 4 packs since I got I good price.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

Rtmom,
    It does flatten out. Put your plates on it and by tomorrow it will be flat. If you are using it for glasses or something light, put a heavy container on it and it will flatten out pretty quickly!

Good luck!

• atlbeardie
    15 years ago

I used cork shelf liner that I purchased at the Container Store. Although it had an adhesive backing, I opted not to unpeel the paper covering the backing, except for a very tiny triangle at each of the four corners. This helps hold the shelf liner in place and prevent it from sliding. It's been in place a year, and I've been happy with it. The paper backing doesn't show and it's all flattened out perfectly.

• rtmom2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks homepro01 palced a few glasses on 3 of the shelves I started. Plan on working on it over the weekend.

• atd_oc
    15 years ago

Another vote for Cushy Cupboards. The rubber waffle liners will deteriorate and stick to the cupboard in time and the ridges on the plastic liner collects any grease, spices, drips, crumbs that you don't know you have.

Cushy Cupboards is very easy to cut, install and clean. The only down side is it has to be ordered unless you are fortunate to live in the limited area it is sold.
    True Value has good sales occasionally on it.

• missopinion47
    15 years ago

I used the WS cork and it is wonderful! I love the way it looks, absorbs moisture if there is any residual, and is soft and protective of all materials. It did curl at first but as one poster correctly said above it flattens in no time at all. I've had mine in for almost three years and it is great. You did good!

• rtmom2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've now done most of my shelves w/ WS cork. Some shelves are staying better than others. It looks nice but the shelves that are not staying well are driving me crazy. I'm not sure if it is because of the fit. I had a hard time measuring the upper shelves w/ clips that hold the shelf. My lower pull outs I made a template to know where to cut.

Also do you line your top shelves? I also may do the pantry with other liner or does cork work well in there? Thanks to all that have gave opinions.

• datura-07
    15 years ago

I put cork in a couple drawers and then something spilled and stained the cork. Looked terrible. I replaced them with the Cushy cupboard liners.

• Fori
    15 years ago

The shelves in my 80s kitchen are all lined with sparkle pink vinyl flooring. (Yeah, it's on the floor, too.) It's not pretty but it's sure a great shelf/cabinet liner, ESPECIALLY under the sink...

I do wish it weren't glued down though. I don't know if it'd lay flat otherwise, but I'm tempted to find an attractive vinyl remnant to put under the sink in the imaginary new kitchen as well as the bathrooms.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

Rtmom,
    Do you have some items close to the edge to allows the cork to relax? I don't line my wall cabinets because the have glass shelves. Some people have suggested using wall paper as a liner. No need to paste it down and it has alot of fun color choices.

Good luck!

• datura-07
    15 years ago

That's one reason I like the Cushy Cupboard liner - it is very flat

• atd_oc
    15 years ago

I live near the True Value that sells it so I will let you know when Cushy Cupboards is on sale. They have the large roll for the price of the small roll when they have it featured in their flyer.

Here is a link that might be useful: True Value

• datura-07
    15 years ago

atd oc,

I need some more Cushy Cupboards liner - have you seen any sales lately????

• jojo100
    11 years ago

I also use cork liner that I got at Williams Sonoma. And yes, it flattens out. After the weight from gadgets, dishes etc. is on it for a while, it flattens.

• Barb Chamberlain
    last month
    last modified: last month

This very old discussion came up in a search as I was hunting for non-adhesive cork shelf liners. I don't want to stick anything to my brand-new cabinetry after a remodel and also want to protect it.

I've been through clear vinyl with ridges (yes, collects gunk as noted in another comment), a slightly cushiony Con-Tac product (pretty okay but I don't want the white contrast I used to have), and cork, which became my favorite for its natural tone and soft landing for items placed on it. I tried stick-down cork but it damaged the surface underneath when I placed it slightly askew and needed to straighten so I'm going for non-adhesive. I tried getting the adhesive cork and just not peeling off the backing but then it's slippery on the back.

I've landed on rolls of cork from https://www.widgetco.com/ for a couple of reasons: They come in multiple widths and thicknesses beyond what I can get at the big-box stores and other online sources, and the price per foot works out to the same or less than adhesive cork rolls I found on Amazon for what appears to be better quality. Some of the reviews of thinner cork rolls on Amazon said it was brittle, came damaged, wasn't good quality. I'm getting 1/8" thickness (1/16" and 1/4" also available). I'll unroll carefully and lightly dampen (advice I got from a review) and weight it to flatten before installing. Cost is better than the Williams Sonoma and Ikea, both of which have limited sizes available as I write this.

• chicagoans
    last month

I also used 1/8” cork from Widgetco based on a recommendation here on the Kitchens forum. I went through a 30’ roll pretty quickly and ordered another; used in kitchen, wet bar and bathrooms for drawers and shelves. Really like it! It does curl up if nothing is on it so I would also consider the flat sheets they sell.

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry