Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willowdecor_gw

Finished Butler's Pantry!!!!

willowdecor
15 years ago

Hi,

I finally finished my Butler's Pantry! Gray cabinets and marble counters! Here is the link to my blog that shows the before and afters.

Thanks to everyone at GW - your help was incredible - especially all the marble people - I just wouldn't have taken the plunge without your advice and experience! And now I am so glad I did!

Here is a link that might be useful: Butlers Pantry

Comments (37)

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Love it love it love it! While it's true I'm a sucker for marble your butler's pantry overall is just dreamy .... Seeing your glass-front cabs makes me wish I'd done some too. I'll live vicariously through you!

Thank you for sharing.

(and I hope you'll share some pictures of your kitchen as well)

• User
    15 years ago

One of the prettiest and most well organized pantries I have EVER seen. Lovely. c

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

WOW... that is so pretty and almost pristine! Enjoy your space!

• josie724
    15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous.

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Just gorgeous. Now will you come and organize my glass front cabinets. i WISH they looked a 10th as beautiful as yours.

Your butler's pantry is magazine worthy. I'm dropping Martha Stewart a note and a link!

• janran
    15 years ago

I'd take that over jewelry any day! Beautiful.

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are all too kind! Really it was great fun to do. I will post the kitchen just as soon I can get some good pictures that are not grainy. But, its not as dramatic of a change.

Its really hard to photograph interior rooms - Its hard to get the lighting right. I give the magazine photographers a lot of credit!

• remodelqueen
    15 years ago

What a beautiful space!!! I love how it showcases your china, I love the marble, and I love the cabinet color!!!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

By far the best jewel box I've ever seen. It's a masterpiece. I love gray and marble, so it had a good head start, but it really is wonderful.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Oh how wonderful! You must be absolutely thrilled! It truly is a jewel. =)

I'm in love with the color you chose. You've inspired me to re-think my choice of white for the dining room cabinetry. I've been pining for a gray or grayish-blue, but I've been too much of a fraidy-cat!

I cannot wait to see your kitchen!

P.S. I bought those same ice box latches! Took me forever to find them, should have asked you! LOL

Erika

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Willow,
    We should have expected from all the wonderful inspirational pics you have shared with us from your blog that your own remodel would be magazine worthy. Your butler's pantry is truly gorgeous and spectacularly functional. The exquisite detail from your beveled glass to your tongue and groove beadboard and of course your exceptional slab of marble makes the anticipation of your kitchen pics build all the more.

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Well, I'm definitely joining the chorus of cheers, Willow! With your superb sense of organization you've retransformed the relatively small original butler's pantry-turned office into both a pantry and office space. How cool is that! I especially like your choice of the pale gray for the cabs. That color will surely contrast beautifully with the white cabs of your kitchen. And the crown moulding. Pardon me while I drool! Can't help but grin over the icebox/cupboard latches. I have them as well. (I was able to finally nab them after a fairly exhaustive search high and low. I got mine from Merit Metal since they were the only company I could find to be making them in a satin nickel finish). Of course, I love the marble, beveled glass, beadboard, etc. Heck, what's not to love? Having also been a fan of your blog and after seeing this pantry, I, too, am clamoring to see the kitchen. Bring it on!

BTW, am I seeing lights in your glass cabs? If so, do you mind telling what kind of lights you installed? Do they appear as spots or is the light more ambient in nature? If the latter, how did you achieve that effect?

Thanks for sharing. Congratulations!

• chaimama
    15 years ago

Just have been trying to find pics of grey and white kitchens this weekend. I was afraid it may look cold but I was so wrong. Just love it. Please share some kitchen pics or at least some details.

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marthavila - There are no lights in the cabinets. I have overhead lights on dimmers that are positioned to shine into the cabinets. It seems to illuminate them fine.

Chaimama- The kitchen cabinets are BM Dove White, Santa Rita Venata soapstone, white crackle subway tile with a Calcutta Marble herringbone pattern behind the stove. The walls are painted 1559 BM, which is one shade darker than the BM 1558 Fieldstone, that the pantry cabinets are painted. It ties together very nicely. All the hardware is brushed nickel. Bin pulls and long pulls from RH, and latches from Cliffside Industries. Small knobs were on the original cabinets, I do not know the source. Will post the kitchen in about a week.

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments. It was a long road...

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous. How do you like the Vertex system? How much energy does it use? This is very interesting to me, since I need some kind of filtration system and I'm not really going to have enough room for a below-sink version.

• danielle00
    15 years ago

It's just gorgeous-- I love it!! I also love seeing owners of old homes return rooms to their original purpose. I hope you enjoy it!

• katieob
    15 years ago

WillowDecor

Gorgeous! Definitely worthy of a magazine spread!

I mentioned it in another post, but your blog and taste have been really helpful in planning my kitchen.

I am also using Cliffside's icebox latches (stumbled upon them last year when "SusandandMark" listed resources for her latches) and would love to see a close up of yours in action!

Can't wait for your kitchen & love, love that pantry!
    Enjoy.

• megradek
    15 years ago

That is a fantastic butler's pantry. A beautiful showcase for your china - and what a great little 'hide-out' for computer time! :)

I am using this color scheme for a guest bath and it has given me more confidence that it will work!

simply stunning!! 'nough said!

• donna214
    15 years ago

So beutiful. I love your collection of china and crystal. Stunning.

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Writer's Block - Vertex cooler is really great is it small and fits on the counter and under a cabinet. (13" X 14" x 16.5") Not sure how much to run , but very small so I think very low cost to run. I got mine from Humboldt in CA. They had the best price and they had EXCELLENT customer service.
    http://www.airwater.biz/vertex-pwc-400-water-dispensers_2374_prd1.htm

Katieob- The latches are brushed nickel from Cliffside - Here is a link. They are very sturdy and well made. I would highly recommend them.
    http://www.cliffsideind.com/cliffside/product.asp?CurPage=1&=&navby=&pf_id=IBCL-SS

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

How great to find a house with a room off the kitchen just begging to become a pantry! It turned out beautifully, you must be thrilled! I wish I had a place I could have put one. Enjoy!!

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

So glad I clicked on this

Your perseverence, keen eye to every detail, relentless search for the right material, understanding and love of your home, vision,and not settling has turned this little space in your home into a jewel indeed - She was a diamond in the rough.
    I live in a 1930 Dutch colonial revival & the entire home underwent a renovation 2.5yrs ago - I always feel like - "the old gal has given to so many people she deserved this & is now standing proud as she was when the craftsman built her"

Wonderful - thanks for sharing - must just bring a big old smile to you! Hats off

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

OMG! That's one beautiful space. CP's got nothing on you girl!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Thanks, willowdecor!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Willow,
    I see a peek of your kitchen in your pics and wondered which subway tiles, color and pattern you used for your backsplash? I'm still oohing and ahhing over your pantry.....

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will do a post of the kitchen on my blog very soon which will discuss everything in great detail - including my inspiration photos - But unitl then:
    The tile is Bianca (white) Crackle Subway tile from Horus Art with white grout. I have Ann Sacks Caluctta marble in a small herringbone pattern, in box out behind stove with a marble shelf. Counters are Santa Rita Venata Soapstone, Cabinets are BM Dove White. Hope that helps!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

It does help. I've been looking at the Horus Art in the Bianca and the Biscuit crackle. It looks like your tile is the 2 1/2 X 5 instead of the 3 X 6. I can't wait to see the your whole kitchen. It promises to be beautiful from the details you have shared.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Mary (pluckymama),

I'm waiting to see photos of your kitchen! Please just a peek?? *tapping foot*

P.S. My cabinets are arriving on Friday ... I'm a little excited. =)

Erika

• redroze
    15 years ago

Hi Willowdecor, I think your kitchen and butler's pantry are just gorgeous. Thanks so much for sharing your inspiration photos and all the details.

I wanted to ask you about the Calacatta that you put in your pantry. Is it Calacatta original, or another variation of Calacatta? I'm planning on putting Calacatta in our bathrooms and fell in love with this slab I found on the Internet, but they list it as "Calacatta Carrara". It looks an awful lot like yours, so I wanted to know if your was the standard Calacatta, or is it Calacatta Carrara?

Thanks!!

{{!gwi}}

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Redoze-
    It looks like the sister slab of the one I put in my pantry -

Did you get it at Marble and Granite in Westwood, MA? Check the number on it - mine was 5590-3 - but then they sent 5590-20 whcih had a big rust inclusion in it. Ugly - I had to go back and get 5590-5. Make sure you sign the sides of your slab with permanent marker and then when it arrives at your fabricator check to make sure they sent the correct one.

It is a beautiful piece - I hope you get it!! Then we will have sister kitchens!

Who is your fabricator?

• redroze
    15 years ago

I know, they must come from the same "family"!! I found it on the website www.marbleandgranite.com which you're right, is the one in Westwood MA. The slab number is MS016-P9930-5590.jpg.

I actually live in Canada so sadly I can't get that exact slab. But I am determined to find a close cousin to it. Our fabricator is in Canada.

It's not going in my kitchen, it will actually go in our master bath and guest bath.

Just back to my original question - is it simply Calacatta or is it Calacatta Carrara? What's the difference between the two types - are there different colours in each type, and are there price differences??

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I do not know if there are differences between Calcutta or or Calcutta Carrara - I think the wholesalers and fabricators all use different names. I found that with my soapstone. I chose that slab for the veining. Most Calcutta I had seen at the time had big blotches or blobs of contrast color. That particular lot had more of the soft striated veining I was looking for. I am not sure prices between the two types of Calcutta you mentioned but it was 3X the cost of just plain gray Carrara. Good luck!!

• redroze
    15 years ago

Thank you so much!!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

WOW! I am so jealous because I want one! It is gorgeous! Congrats on a wonderful job! I am so happy for you! Beautiful!

• laurielep
    15 years ago

All I can say is WOW...that is the prettiest pantry I ever saw!! I could live in there!! I love how you kept it as an office too. Great job!

• lacombe
    15 years ago

What a beautiful looking Butler's Pantry. I love the marble you picked out.

• silverspring
    15 years ago

That is beautiful. I love your cabinet color and the marble, and your china and the hardware, and the hot/cold water contraption. Just perfect!

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals