Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

big sinks

rockybird
13 years ago

I bought a 33 inch stainless steel single bowl zero radius sink for an ikea kitchen cabinet. I decided not to go with ikea when I found a custom cabinet maker that was in my price range and highly recommended. So, the architect designed a 48" base cabinet. Now I am wondering if I should go for a bigger sink? Or a two bowl sink or one with a drain board? They are expensive, but I know I would probably use it and it might look better in such a large cabinet. Any suggestions for brands? I cant afford the larger blancos but am considering the kohler below. The smaller blanco I bought will go into the laundry room then. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: kohler

Comments (16)

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

I personally don't see the point of the stepped side. You have a sink and you have a metal counter and then you have your real counter. Usable Sink size remains the same. But if there is a reason you would use that step side then go for it!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I like the built-in drainboard sinks. I can imagine working with one.

• 10KDiamond
    13 years ago

I love this sink which is currently on my short list. It's so dramatic! My sink will be on a pennisula and I don't want a huge mess of handwashed dishes on the counter, or otherwise piling up ont he promonent counter, etc. The stepped-up area is the perfect middle ground to avoid this. All the best with your choices.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

When we first bought our old house, it had a double sink. I really didnt like it. When I redid the kitchen i put in a 30" Shaw. Used it for 7+ years and loved it.

This time in our new house I am putting in their largest --- 36" Shaw. It will have two faucets. A traditional bridge in the center, and a that Herbeau thing that looks like a gear shift to the far side. That way people can like, wash their hands, while im doing something else. I didnt want two sinks because I wanted an unfitted vintage look.

• donna murphy
    13 years ago

Rockybird, After lots of research here and in person I bought the 45 inch Kohler. Not installed yet, but what I am excited about is the integrated cutting board and containers that slide back and forth. If you haven't looked at the Youtube video of the two chefs demo-ing the sink you should. I was skeptical the moment I clicked the 'play' button, and was sold in ten seconds. The deep huge sink looks fantastic and the 12 inch shelf will be perfect for rinsing veggies, poultry, etc. I will probably do one large faucet in the middle with a big spout reach., I like your plan for two faucets! There are a few threads here about the Kohler Stages....good luck!

• rockybird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the responses. Very helpful! I will check out the you tube video. I found two reviews of the kohler, both of which were excellent. It really helps knowing some of you have bought this same sink. I want this kitchen to look beautiful and professional, in case I ever sell the house.

Here is one more I found today in a similar price range, but I have not heard of this brand and the base cab would have to be bigger.

Here is a link that might be useful: another sink

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Blanco has also got some nice integrated shelf ss sink designs. I haven't seen any in person or even priced them so I'm just guessing they're comparable to the Kohler Stages ... apologies if not. They look very pretty on paper though.

• lala girl
    13 years ago

Hi rockybird - I have the 45in Stages sink and double faucets - I love, love, love the functionality. Now I do not know how I lived with out it. Aesthetically, the scale of the sink is very dramatic, which I love. I had high hopes for it and it surpassed my expectations. I have posted this photo a ton(!) so apologies to all, it is very boring at this point - but here is our big sink and faucets.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I have an Oliveri, it is reasonable. At least cheaper than
    a Blanco or Elkay.

Have you seen this one?
    Not an Oliveri but a cool design.

Here is a link that might be useful: I like Oliveri sinks

• rockybird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! laurainlincoln, I sent your pic to the architect. I hope you dont mind. It looks fantastic! Thanks aliris19. I cant justify buying the blanco big sinks, as they are 2k on up. :( I wish I could afford one because in my opinion they are the most beautiful sinks. The two sinks I bought (island, and 33" are both blanco, and I have blanco in my condo also. I am very happy with them).

I am going through the oliveri website now. Thanks you for this rec. boxerpups.

It occured to me that I bought a professional commercial huge hansgrohe faucet, which I think would look best with a big sink.

Did anyone see the fluid sink link above? Any idea how to achieve the look in the link below? Is it two sinks or one?

Here is a link that might be useful: blanco sink set up

• User
    13 years ago

Just a quick question--is there a good reason that your sink base is 48"? To line up with other elements in the room? To keep in scale with other very large features?

A sink base is pretty difficult to use well for storage, and 48" is a lot of real estate. If you're at all worried about overall storage space you might consider using a smaller sink base under the basin of the Stages sink and a drawer stack under the drainboard portion with the top drawer modified to fit. Someone else may remember the name of the poster who did that; my memory and searching ability are failing me at the moment.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you mnerg! I dont know! I will find out tomorrow from the architect. I am going for a henrybuilt look, and I noticed they are doing drawers as sink cabs. How is this possible? I am thinking about seeing if I can do this as well, but not sure how to configure with a large sink. All of hb's sinks look tiny. All the cabs are going to look like they are floating with a deeply recessed toe kick.

Never mind on the fluid sink. It is overmount and I want undermount.

• User
    13 years ago

Rockybird--in case you didn't see this thread on the Stages, I've linked it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anything new on Kohler stages?

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Here's another kitchen with the Kohler Stages sink in the island. A second sink is on the perimeter. The kitchen belongs to a GW member, btw.

Here is a link that might be useful: Serious Cook's Kitchen

• txpepper
    13 years ago

Did you look at this sink with drain and possible pair it with another single sink positioned side-by-side to get your overall width and bowl space? You would come out well under $1K and have money to spend on a nice faucet/s.

http://www.galaxytoolsupply.com/undermount-kitchen-sink-p/tr4100.htm

Paired with something like this: http://www.galaxytoolsupply.com/undermount-kitchen-sink-p/s3650.htm

I know the second sink may not be the correct dimension but the guys at Galaxy are great to work with. I didn't take the time to do the particulars but you can click around and do a mix and match.

Sorry I didn't do inline links. I need to figure out HTML.

Pepper
    ~ Cabs are being stained and sealed!!!
    ~ I bought my sink from Galaxy.