Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My beautiful hood is scratched!..

Posted by inspiredisabel (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 13 at 20:55

It was installed a few days ago and I guess I never got a good look at it until today when I decided to clean all the grubby fingerprints off it. The side it is scratched on isn't the most visible side. I plan on telling the installer tomorrow but what should I really expect from them? Is there anything I can do to try and remove or lessen the appearance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My beautiful hood is scratched!..

longer scratches in the middle...

o

Was the protective coating left on during installation? Our installer removed the blue plastic film before installing plus broke down the box and recycled it. Uh, what happens if we need to return it?

This can be buffed out by a professional, but I would find out if it was scratched by the installer or in transit. The granite installers scratched our rangetop. We took it to a company that specialized in stainless steel fabrication. One hour and $60 later it looked brand new.

Good luck!

o

There actually wasn't the blue protective film on it. I will check into having it buffed out. Thanks for the suggestion!

o

I found a good video online that might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to remove scratches from stainless steel

o

Your installer should have liability insurance.

Buffed out?? I doubt it.

It should be replaced.

We had a custom insert made by a local company when we built our house.

The installer scraped the finish on my Woodmode mantel. It was impossible to repair. Their liability insurance replaced it.

o

Thank you for the video drachiele! The scratches aren't deep so maybe there is hope?

red lover - the GC is stopping by this afternoon so I will see what happens with that. Thanks for responding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here