Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yuki_chan_gw

FOBB - Fear of being boring - Tile Help!!

yuki-chan
10 years ago

I am on the home stretch of my home overhaul (thanks to all you guys with helpful info along the way). I'm now down to deciding on a backsplash. My kitchen cabinets are white shaker, the floor is dark espresso hardwood and my counter top is a solid gray quartz. I love the timeless look of white subway tiles but I'm worried it might be too plain. I also don't want something too 'loud' that I would get tired off in a few years (or have them become dated). I have found these herringbone marble tiles and now I'm sort of torn between these (which have more grout line ... eek) and the 4x8" white subway tiles. Thoughts?

Comments (16)

• Lisa
    10 years ago

I LOVE the herringbone tiles! I am in the midst of my backsplash search too so I can completely understand your decision making issues. I think the herringbone gives it some texture and interest without being too flashy.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I like the herringbone better than plain old subway tile, but I think I'd still like some color somewhere.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I love the marble herringbone. One of my favorite backsplashes is GW member enduring's, which she did herself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Enduring's herringbone backsplash

• pwanna1
    10 years ago

I really like the marble of the herringbone, but I'm a traditionalist and find subway tile classic. Can you find subway tile in the marble? That might add interest but keep it timeless? Just a thought. (and my two cents...for what it's worth) :)

• xc60
    10 years ago

I really like the herringbone with your kitchen selections.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Herringbone. It is a little different yet very traditional and simple. I have a lot of subway in this house and my last house, and I am getting a little bored with it --- so I may have a bias.

• carree
    10 years ago

Herringbone looks great. Add pops of color with vases or appliances or a clock, etc.

• Caya26
    10 years ago

I love the herringbone too - it's classic, the marble gives it some oomph. Nice thing is you have a nice neutral pallet that you can accent with wall colours, vases etc. and change when you get bored.

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

I also have white shaker and solid gray quartz (Silestone gray expo...whats yours?) and had the same sample and chickened out & went for subway!
    One reason I went with this particular marble was that it seemed to have a lot of color variation which I liked. It does, but from a distance it still reads fairly solid, or at least calm, so I bet even the herringbone would be really pretty and interesting and would not be busy or loud at all.

• homebuyer23
    10 years ago

Here's another from farther away

• Linda
    10 years ago

Herringbone!

• caitlinmagner
    10 years ago

I love the herringbone but I have seen some GWers with beautifully interesting marble subway. I wish I could remember who, but someone has subway tile with beveled edges (or something, sorry I'm not good with technical terms). Anyway, it's not just flat, but it's still very classic.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I love the herringbone! I realize it has more grout, but I think if it's sealed you'll be just fine. You're not cooking directly on top of the backsplash. And that herringbone is fantastic looking.

• romy718
    10 years ago

With your solid gray countertops, I think a marble backspash would be beautiful & timeless. I HAVE to exhaust all possible options before making a decision. My advice would be to get some marble subway tiles in different sizes & compare the looks. I noticed your white subways are 4x8" and the herringbone tiles are much smaller. You might try 4x8 & 3x6" in marble?
    Depending on how big of an area you are tiling, one size might look better than the other.

• yuki-chan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great responses!!! I'm definitely leaning more towards marble. I'm going to stop by the tile store tomorrow to look at more tiles :D :(

@homebuyer - my counter is Silestone Kensho and I love your backsplash

• texaspenny
    10 years ago

Word of warning - if you go with the herringbone (which I vote for too!) make sure you are very clear with your tile guy on which direction you want the zig zag to go. I remember reading a post from someone who walked into their kitchen to find their new backsplash done as a vertical herringbone. Don't assume the tile guy thinks like you do, or that anything is standard.