Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plants4

What would you have done differently -- Thread 2

plants4
16 years ago

The last thread on this topic is now dying as it drifts to oblivion. Here's an attempt to consolidate the 150 posts:

drawers instead of pullouts (lots disagree), no skimping on labor, push back refrigerator instead of getting counterdepth, hoods wider than cooktops, run lighting plan by the lighting forum experts, more effort at design stage, more attention to countertop templating, no divided lites in glass cabinets, deeper upper cabinets, more time spent reviewing cabinet plans, slight negative reveal on sink to hide edge, no microhood, measure everything yourself (especially for appliances), honed the granite, checked out appliances for noise level before buying them, avoided granite altogether, two sinks instead of one, planned where light switches would go instead of on-the-run, measure how your cabinet space will be used, saying go-ahead-and-do-what-you-think to the contractor when you should make the decision, make sure that things won't result in appliances sticking out into the room, under cabinet lighting in strips not pucks, consider location of towels, stayed home to supervise carpenter, hired professional painter, knocked down old walls, 3-drawer cabinets instead of 4-drawers, avoided side-by-side and/or French door refrigerators (or not!), thought about location of prep work, location of other people in kitchen, built in more work stations, added a pantry, big drawer for plastic containers, custom cabinets, trusted my own taste, had taller cabinets, avoided filler pieces in lots of places, don't trust designers/contractors/subs, carefully consider cabinet hardware on your own cabinets, electric not gas over, nonsplashing faucet, consulted plumber before plans were finalized, check your cabinet drawings a million times, not getting gas stove, granite with too much or too little movement, run undercabinet lights towards front not center, stained interior of glass fronted cabinets to match outside, made more money to pay for it all, more outlets on island, wider baking drawer stack, avoided blind cupboards, avoid lowest bidders, planned better for demo, no full granite backsplash, not put a pull-out shelf over the refrigerator, more research, not checking references, keeping the peace with subs when we should have told them "no," nearly anything that I didn't decide myself but let someone else decide for me, large single bowl sink, included induction cook top and Advantium oven, used plug mold, put in an alcove over the cook top, deeper counter tops, and wood floors. Not perfect but a pretty good summary.

Comments (25)

• peggross1
    16 years ago

Thank you! Now I can print this and keep it handy. Too late for some tips, but plenty to keep in mind at this point in our project!

• fromflorida
    16 years ago

Great idea for a thread and will be so useful to those starting out. I agree with so many of these and I would reiterate trusting your own instincts and tastes. Go with what you love, whether or not it is what is currently hot.
    I would add that I wish I had chosen all or most of my finishes together in the beginning rather than one at a time. I spent lots of time choosing a cabinet finish independently of what I wanted to do on the floor and the countertops. So after choosing the cabinet stain, I found it hard to match with a granite I liked. It worked out fine eventually, but it would have been far easier if I had chosen them together and not limited myself.
    Also, INSIST on seeing and
    inspecting all your granite slabs. Yes, this is a no-brainer, but our granite fabricator assured me that I didn't need to see the second slab because it was the same as the first, and needless to say, that didn't turn out to be true, and I will spare you the trauma and wasted time that followed. The larger lesson here is make sure everyone you deal with is scrupulously ethical.
    I also agree that big drawers -- and lots of them -- are great.

• robynpa
    16 years ago

Excellent idea!!

• plllog
    16 years ago

If I had it to do differently I'd have found GW a couple years ago instead of suffering with the old kitchen and wondering where to start! :)

• coolbeansw
    16 years ago

I wish I'd not followed the popular suggestion to live with the kitchen for awhile before choosing a backsplash. Truth is, it hasn't gotten any easier. And if I'd *had* to make the decision at the outset, I might have changed some other elements and avoided the situation I'm in now -- with everything else locked in, not being able to see the perfect solution.

• User
    16 years ago

I love my new kitchen, but I would have made some minor adjustments if I'd known about this forum from the start. I'm trying to spread the word to friends/family so they can have the benefit of all the ideas and wisdom it offers from the get-go.

Thanks for compiling this list!

• plants4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bump

• petra_il
    16 years ago

I'm not completely finished so it's hard to say anything about the kitchen side of things ... but I would have spent more time on the design before starting interviewing contractors. I think I scared them off too much by having several versions of design and not having at least little clearer idea about the direction of my remodel.

On the other hand, maybe they were just jerks and thought my job too small to prepare a bid (I got 1 bid out of 5 contractors I initially talked to). :)

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Which I had brought my greenhouse windows down to counter height. Still not quite sure why I didn't?

Could have avoided problems and disappointments if I would have insisted on seeing samples of everything in person. Way too many things ordered sight unseen.

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

Thanks! I started the thread because I was just getting ready to 'sign on the dotted line', and hoped I could get some advice on what isn't worth the money and what is. It did help, but unfortunately my home is semi-custom, so walls/large adjustments can't be made.

Hearing 'testamonials' on granite, tile, fixtures, flooring, etc., did help me come to some of my ultimate decisions. I already knew what cabinets I wanted, cause i've been dreaming about this house for a few years. I couldn't quite 'see' the other things, so this forum is definitely a great place to come when you're stumped and need to bounce around ideas, or just vent.

My kitchen is not started yet, but all decisions have been made, and I can envision it very clearly, down to the accessories i'll be using. The only thing giving me a slight problem is the light fixtures I want~they're just so darn exppppppppensive!! I might have to forgo 'my wants' in another room! ;o)

• epiccycle
    16 years ago

I have one tall cabinet that I wanted to sit directly on my butcher block counter, an appliance garage of sorts where my mixer lives. Got the idea from a magazine photo, but unlike my inspiration cabinet I neglected to think to order it without a bottom, so now the mixer has to be lifted up and over the lip of the cabinet floor instead of just sliding out. Grrr.

I DID however remember to spec my trash pullout cabinet with a solid divider between the pullout and the drawer above, thanks entirely to this forum.

• trudymom
    16 years ago

frankoma, I'm not very good at picturing things, but why did you need the solid divider between the pullout and the drawer above. Wouldn't the bottom of the drawer have been enough?

Thanks!

• epiccycle
    16 years ago

Having a wood divider is just an extra precaution to keep potentially icky garbage odors from seeping into the drawer above. In reality, my trash/recycling bins are so small my garbage doesn't sit around all that long, and the drawer above only contains storage bags (and not flatware, for instance), but I still like the idea of keeping the garbage as contained as possible. Total non-issue for some, of course, but a great example of the little details that come to light thanks to the gardenweb.

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

We ordered the Blum soft-close hinges for the doors for our kitchen (which has yet to be installed) and also for our den cabinets (which were installed early-December) and frankly, they've proven to be a total waste of money.

My sole reason for doing so is because my husband is, after forty years on this planet, clearly incapable of closing a cupboard door. He must be missing a gene .... I erroneously thought that with these expensive hinges ($7 a pop) at least if he started the door closing it would just take care of the rest on its own. WRONG. Instead, it's just like before (door ajar), only expensive. I really rue it.

I'm going to reserve the right to re-post after the kitchen is done ....

• epiccycle
    16 years ago

rmkitchen - cheer up! YOU can still enjoy those hinges. Every time you find an open door you can work out your frustration by giving it a good slam shut, and then smile as your expensive hinge softly protects your new cabinet. :-)

• trudymom
    16 years ago

frankoma, thank you for the explanation. Great idea!

Trudy

• lightlystarched
    16 years ago

I had trouble picking a stain color for my cabinets. I took several samples home from the cabinet store to view them in my house. I only kept them a few hours and never looked at them under artificial light. I wish I would have kept them overnight. My cabinets are lovely in natural light and remarkably hideous under flourescents. =(

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

frankoma -- thank you for your great suggestion! I like the idea of "safely" acting out my frustration ....

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Bump

• busymom2006
    16 years ago

I wouldn't have used so much backsplash tile. I think I would have put it only on the wall with my range and left the remaining walls untiled.

I would then be able to add some color (and a different focal point) to my kitchen with paint. It would also make picture hanging a whole lot easier.

• niineta
    16 years ago

My island is 12'long and 49" wide. There are 3 heights - 42", 36" and 30". To me, the 42" height is useless although it is where DH sits when he is in the kitchen. It was his idea and he now admits that 36" would be better. SO--- I would have 8'at 36" and 4' at 30". I get to correct all my mistakes as I have 2 more kitchens to do - maybe 3. Not looking forward to it! I'll be around here for a long time.
    I made a lot of good decisions - the best being changing the layout to a galley from a square.

• imrainey
    16 years ago

My biggest mistake was choosing a finish in the cabinetmaker's office. When the cabinets were installed in our kitchen they were a nightmare (part the unfortunate striped quality of his finish; part my poor choice of stain). Instead, I needed to have the potential choices in the light of my room to make the right one.

That little error cost us nearly $2K. But, in the end, I'm glad we made the correction.

• busymom2006
    16 years ago

Another thing I would do differently - get *smooth* tile instead of textured. When the floor in my kitchen was done, the tilers forgot to clean the grout off before it dried. When I pointed it out, they spent from sun up to sundown scrubbing the tile until a lot of the grout was off. But a year later, I'm still trying to get the rest off. Ugh!

My advice - pick smooth tile!

• rgillman
    16 years ago

I would have put in another trash pullout just for newspaper recycling. (but where?)

• coffeehaus
    16 years ago

Bump

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer